All reviews panorama route south africa warm welcome kruger park rooms were spotless lovely hosts stayed for one night lounge area beautiful view janet waterfall advice exploration mountains
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed for one night on the way to Kruger Park, and this was perfectly fine. I would not stay there for several nights. A very warm reception. Jane can give good guidance on what to do around. John is happy to talk about his life offering a “ Windhoek”. We found the place through the Greenwood guide which seem to grow a bit out of fashion. They gave us a very good tip for a restaurant in town. Rooms were small but beds were excellent. They lit a fire for us in the living room. A very nice breakfast is offered in the morning.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Janet W, Owner at Porcupine Ridge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for your review, however we are a little mystified by when you stayed with us as we have not lit a fire for over 6 months! Perhaps it's time for another visit? Best wishes, Janet & John

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Having not visited this part of South Africa before we decided to use Porcupine Ridge as the centre point of our exploration, it turned out to be an excellent choice. Janet and John gave us superb advice on restaurants, Kruger and the Panorama route, far better than any guide book.
They were a very friendly, welcoming couple, nothing being too much trouble. The rooms were spotless, the breakfast was a perfect start to the day. If you want a spend a quiet day in the garden it is highly recommended.
Sabie is a great location to tour the area and Porcupine Ridge the best place to book.
Thanks again

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Janet W, Owner at Porcupine Ridge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Thank you for your lovely review! It is good to know you were happy at our guest house and that you enjoyed the area so much. There is such a wonderful array of experiences and activities to be enjoyed in this area, we look forward to sharing more with you on your next visit. Warm regards, Janet & John

Reviewed 11 September 2017

So this is a bit dicey to review. I want to state categorically before I begin that any criticism I offer is meant to be constructive as I knew going in about each issue that I will mention.

The owners are great. Gracious and kind to a fault. They are why I went 4. The location is good. Close to Sabie and what it has to offer.

So here's the thing.

The people are a 5 and the breakfast was a 5 for sure.
The room itself (we had a standard) is probably more along a 3.5. It's kinda sterile. The bed was fairly hard, everything is white, and it's clearly purpose built to be cleanable. This is most definitely a place built to house guests and it doesn't have the feeling of being in someone's home - more something between b&b and inn. Don't get me wrong - there was good hot water, a desk and table to work at, a fridge with free refreshments along with coffee etc. - it was all very nice - it just wasn't 'warm'. Perhaps the other rooms were different.

The thing that kinda bugged me even though I knew it going in was the wi-fi. There is zero wifi in the guest rooms. Not even in the eating area. You have to go into the lounge area where you can connect.

I don't know about you but I check my emails, I whatsapp, I post my travel photos to Instagram etc. I like to be able to do this while sitting in bed. Nowadays a wi-fi extender is cheap as borscht and 5 minutes to install. There's simply no excuse to not have good wifi penetration in a space as small as this. It's a maximum 50-100 dollar investment.

Anyways - I would definitely recommend Porcupine ridge. It was quiet, comfortable, and the hosts were great.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We stayed 2 nights there. The breakfast is great. The room are clean and spacious. There is no Wifi but you can go to a restaurant in the city near the guesthouse and have very great dinner and wifi in the same time. The road to access is a gravel and rocky road. It's better to go there with a SUV.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Janet W, Owner at Porcupine Ridge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Thank you, Stephane, for your kind review. We are always very grateful to guests for taking the time to write a review but unfortunately your review is rather misleading! We actually have unlimited WiFi from our own dedicated Satellite Dish! Perhaps you didn't ask about the WiFi? It is not available in the bedrooms so we guess you assumed we didn't have WiFi because of that. We must also mention that our gravel road is only 1 kilometer long and it is definitely not necessary to have an SUV here, although an SUV is nice to have for the Kruger Park and private Game Reserves, where you may be travelling on many kilometers of gravel and sand roads, but generally most roads are also accessible to normal saloon cars.

Reviewed 22 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and wished it could have been a lot longer. The rooms were beautifully appointed, very spacious and clean.
Janet and John are great hosts with a wealth of knowledge of the area, which they helpfully passed on.
The breakfasts were substantial and they provided a good variety of food.

The are some lovely little touches too---a greeting glass of wine, sherry and chocolates in the room. Tea making in the room, a same day laundry service.

There's no TV in the room but who would want one? Go and enjoy the views, the birding ( exceptionally good here), the peace and quiet and the conversation. These are far more important.

We hope to return , for a longer stay next time

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Janet W, Owner at Porcupine Ridge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2017

Thank you Ken! It is very kind and thoughtful to write such a complimentary review. You were all such lovely people so it was an absolute pleasure to have you to stay with us and we also hope it will be longer next time. Best regards to Mel, Richard & Lynn and thanks again to you for taking the time to write a review. Warmest wishes, Janet & John.