See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Downtown location Comfortable beds with small bath but hot water. Fridge but no AC TV Hair dryer. There is a mall type place with a large grocery store, shops and good restaurant only one block from the hotel. Breakfast was OK Noise from the street

Room Tip: Lake view on that side of hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2014

New and modern 3 star hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. We stayed for one night and enjoyed the nice heating in the room after a day in the bitter cold. We stayed on the fifth floor with a view to Lake Van which was great. Even though the hotel is on the Main Street there was no noise. The breakfast was good and the staff helpful. I would gladly recommend this hotel and stay again if in Tatvan.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Excellent welcoming upon arrival, and they helped us park our car next to the hotel. All the staff is charming, and most fo the time there is someone speaking english to help you out and give you some tips.
We booked a double bedroom the evening before our arrival and there was some availabilities, for 50USD, in March. Room is clean, modern, bathroom is ok with a wide shower place. There was fridge, a small desk, and beds are comfortable.
The hotel is well located in the city center, next to two modern shopping outlets and main street. Restaurants are easily accessed and found.
The following day we were going to Kars and had many issues finding a decent hotel at a fair price, and the clerk spent all his time sorting this for us, making some calls, and we finally ended up in a nice common housing for teachers in Kars downtown for 80TL. Honestly, this was a great help, an amazing service, and all this with smile!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ericparis18
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Positives:

Room clean and well decorated.

Tea and cola available on demand.

Internet access included and reasonable speed.

Refrigerator in the room

Breakfast was included and it was OK.

Less Good:

$42 US a night (including booking fee of $6). The hotel was full the night I stayed (the main competitor hotel in town is closed for much needed refurbishment).

Room small with only one hard-backed chair to sit on.

Hotel on the small size with few comfortable public spaces.

I arrived and they couldn't find my reservation and were about to send me away when the clerk asked was I Booking.com? I was and got a room. Reservations are filed under the name of the website rather than the person making the booking! There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between the clerk and a man taking tea on the pavement outside - felt like something was going on that wasn't shared with me. I asked the clerk if there was a problem and she answered "no" as though these negotiations were nothing to do with me.

No real parking - I was supported in parking half on the pavement outside the hotel - just about room for other cars to pass and no consideration for the rights of disabled people who needed to use the pavement. The alternative was street parking some way off on residential streets with no oversight of the car.

Bathroom very small - just about worked for one person.

The hotel is close to a mosque and the call to prayer at 04:30 was long and loud.

Part of the hotel is on the main street (you can see the hotel name from the main street) but the entrance is from a back alley that is hard to reach from the main street - I had to get a local man to show me.

Conclusion:

Pricey for what I got but adequate. On the way out to Van I decided not to stay in Tatvan (it is easier as they up-grade the road - the tunnel alone cuts 15 minutes off the journey). Van has better hotels - both for this price but you are likely to be tempted to pay more for a really comfortable hotel in Van.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are furthest from street noise - but Tatvan isn't a late town.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Joe_33
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I arrived at the newly-opened Karaman without reservation and I paid 60LE (negotiated from 70 LE) for one night's bed & breakfast. I spotted the hotel whilst getting dropped off by the bus in the main street as it has a huge sign and looked incredibly modern. I checked out a much more dreary hotel nearby just to get a better perspective and since they were charging 50 LE for a room which was last renovated in the 1970s, the Karaman it was.

And to be honest, there’s no competition really, as the Karaman is clean, modern and extremely well-located – right on the main drag and barely a skip away from Lake Van. It’d been opened for just over a month and although you can’t see the lake from the hotel (the rooms are facing the main thoroughfare instead...the roof offers a much better view though it doesn't seem to be in use at the moment), it’s already quite popular with tour groups.

The hotel has all the necessary amenities expected of a modern three-star hotel: helpful English-speaking staff, nice thick carpets, comfortable beds, power shower, free wi-fi, satellite TV etc, and the Karaman does them all very well. There’s very little to complain about the room itself – they even had a multi-socket adaptor for those of us who need to charge our electronics daily and that in itself is a rarity in Turkish/Kurdish hotels.

The breakfast buffet was excellent, and check-out time of 11am is pretty much standard. There are so many shops, supermarkets, bus companies, ATM machines and even a cinema nearby that the Karaman/Tatvan is a very handy base for exploring Lake Van or heading west from Van. I stayed in Tatvan simply because I arrived too late in the afternoon to catch the last bus/dolmus to Van, and I’m glad I did as Lake Van is better appreciated from Tatvan than Van itself.

Credit cards accepted. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo