“This is a great hotel, with great staff.”

New Lanark Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lanark
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We book this hotel on the reviews we had read on here, and please don't listen to the negative comments as this hotel is good! Ok when we got our keys for the room we where given room 30 which is for disabled people ie full on disabled bathroom (this was given too us because our stay had been paid for via a gift voucher off the mother in law) I asked to change rooms which they did( thank you) and this room was great a nice rivers view very clean etc. food is a credit to the chef's and the staff are all local and very friendly and happy to help! Yes no wifi in the rooms OH NO!!! Come on get a grip!!! All in all a top hotel great location superb food fab staff a great weekend and we will be back as long as we don't get room 30 again please... Thank you

• Stayed: March 2012
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a favourable review of our hotel following your recent stay. We very much appreciate your positive feedback. It is very important for us to receive all types of feedback as we use it to further improve upon our levels of service. I am delighted that my staff looked after you and ensured you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Whilst I cannot comment on the hotel room facilities I can remark on my lunch. My partner and I decided to stop in past the New Lanark Mill Hotel for a spot of lunch. We were met with an empty reception desk, there were however 2 receptionist sitting through the back both eating their lunches. We asked where we could dine, in response and due to a mouth full of food we were pointed in the direction of the bar.
The welcome we received at the bar was warm and friendly. I ordered the beef burger and my partner ordered the special which was a venison burger. The meal was served in good time and was presented well. The burgers were very disappointing reminiscent of what one would expect to eat at an 80's BBQ. The venison burger i'm sure was capable of bouncing as it was so rubbery. The beef burger was not much better, it tasted cheap and manufactured. Whilst I did not expect michelin star standard food, I do feel this meal was not value for money and I am slightly disappointed in myself for not acting on my first impression of the hotel. I would not return, it is in such a lovely setting however a couple of the staff lack a level of professionalism and the food is quite simply sub-standard.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jane F
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor following your recent visit to our hotel. I am of course very disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience. I have already discussed your review with my management team in order to rectify any shortcomings that may have existed on that day. Please be assured that we normally deliver a very high level of service with professionalism. This is very much highlighted in the number of compliments that we recieve from our guests and also on online reviews such as those on Tripadvisor.

The standard of our food is always normally very high and I would like to reassure you that all of our dishes are prepared fresh in the hotel using local produce. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the burgers. I have asked chef to investigate why you would have left with an impression that they were cheap and manufactured, particularly since they were made in house from quality steak mince supplied by our butcher. We take great pride in the quality of the dishes that we serve but if you felt that the quality was indeed poor, then of course we will react to that and ensure it doesn't happen again.

I am pleased to read that the service you received in the bar was warm and friendly and that the food was served in good time. Again, we strive to provide a high level of service to our customers. If one of my receptionist spoke to you with food in their mouth, then I can only apologise for this and make sure it does not happen again. However please do not allow this incident to give you the impression that we lack professionalism.

Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board. Please also accept my apologies for any shortcomings that you experienced.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed for a 3 night DB&B package with younger friends last week - surely the deal of the year. We had been there before, but they had not. Criticism of the heating system in the rooms is a valid point, but easily sorted. It was so pleasant to go back and experience the peace of this area. Although the weather was not great, we managed a walk to the falls, easily spent time at the shops and the Heritage centre and used the leisure facilities at the hotel each day. The pool was at a very pleasant temperature which we liked, as my husband remembered it being somewhat chilly at our last visit. We had lovely rooms overlooking the river, spacious, comfortable, especially the beds, although I would have liked feather pillows. Bathrooms had adequate towels and toiletries. Tea making facilities had plenty of supplies and one could ask for more.
The restaurant is very pleasant with friendly and helpful staff and we enjoyed the meals very much. Wines not too expensive and there ready for the next dinner if not finished. We enjoyed our stay enormously and would highly recommend the hotel, especially at these special package rates.

Room Tip: We liked having rooms overlooking the river and found the higher floors quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a favourable review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am delighted that you had such a relaxing time and that you enjoyed the facilities of our hotel.

It is always very nice for us to see guests returning and even more so when they bring friends with them. Without this referral it can often be difficult to find new customers so please be assured that I appreciate you recommending us to your friends.

I certainly hope to see you return again in the future and in the meantime if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you once again for your kind words.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

The location is excellent, the food is good and the staff are friendly. But ...

The rooms are grotesquely, unbearably overheated. Why? Because for some unfathomable reason they use electric storage heaters (how very 1970s), and as electric storage heaters always do these pump out uncontrollable amounts of heat when you don't want them to. When I went into my room the heater was set at its minimum setting and the place was still ludicrously hot. Switching off the storage heater altogether, switching off the electric towel rail and leaving both windows open brought the temperature down to something reasonable only five or six hours later ... on a chilly February day.

Secondly, there is no wifi in the rooms. Sorry, people, but that's completely unacceptable in a hotel costing this much nowadays. There is wifi in the public areas, but I could not get it to work on my phone or my laptop. Nobody seemed terribly bothered by this, and certainly not enough to help or do anything about it. There was no sign of the advertised wifi in the conference area at all.

I wouldn't choose to go back there, but when work send me again I won't actively avoid it.

Room Tip: All rooms fine but turn off the heating and open the windows the moment you get there if you don;t w...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ubergeekian

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am of course diappointed to read that you would not choose to return to New Lanark in the future. I have taken on board your comments as they are important to me as I use customer feedback to further improve upon our levels of service.

In relation to the storage heaters in the bedrooms. These were installed when the hotel first opened in 1998. I am currently looking to improve upon the heating faciliites and make an investment within this area. At times the heaters can be very warm depending on the setting the previous guest set the heater to for their comfort. I will ensure I manage this better by working with my housekeeping team so that when a guest departs the control on the heater is adjusted to a lower level. This should ensure the room is at an acceptable temperature for the arrival of the following guest.

Wifi is available free of charge throughout the public areas of the hotel including the conference centre. I am sorry you had difficulties logging onto the system. In terms of having wifi available in the bedrooms, I would agree that this would be an excellent option however at this moment in time a large investment would be needed to do this. As the hotel manager I must prioritse investments and make calculated decisions so to improve the services and facilities of the hotel and although I agree that an investment within our wifi service is needed, I feel it is more important to continue with the upgrade of our hotel bedrooms and refurbishment of our self catering units at this present time. I will of course revisit the wifi investment in the future.

Once again I am sorry to read that you are unlikely to return to our hotel in the future, but I do thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the New Lanark Mill Hotel for 3 nights DB&B at half term with our 10 yr old son (Wednesday - Saturday).

We loved the area surrounding the hotel and made full use of the passport ticket for the World Heritage Site that came with our hotel package. The heritage village was very educational and the views from the roof garden were stunning. We spent a whole day investigating. It was a short drive up to the town of Lanark for our daily newspaper. The hotel location is central enough to gets to places in the Glasgow area - on our second day we ventured to Strathclyde Park which was less than half an hrs drive.

The hotel room was spacious and comfortable. We all slept well. The staff at the hotel were helpful and pleasant. The reception area was equipped with games such as Connect 4 and we enjoyed just having a drink and playing. We used the excellent leisure facilities 3 times. Please be aware that children are only permitted to the pool at certain times - this is made clear on the hotel website. Our son had a ball!!

The food really could not be faulted. With our DB&B package we were entitled to 3 courses - a handful of choices incurred a supplement but the food was of a very high standard and we were really impressed! Again, the restaurant staff were extremely helpful. Only one comment, which didn't apply to us due to the package we had where children eat free, was that children's meals were expensive compared to the norm and that the portions weren't huge (starter £2, main £4.95, dessert £2).

All in all we had a great break and would certainly venture back without hesitation!!

Room Tip: Room 28 (level 6) looks over Robert Owens house rather than the river.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. It is always very much appreciated to receive positive feedback and on this occasion it does appear that you had a very enjoyable stay.

I'm glad you took full advantage of the complimentary tickets for New Lanark World Heritage Village as part of your package. There are so many things to see and do right on our doorstep. Our World Heritage Offer has proved to be very popular so I am delighted to read that you were able to make full use of this.

We strive very hard to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and memorable stay so please be assured that your feedback has been passed onto the team. I will of course take on board your comments about our children's menu but on the whole you have felt that the package represents excellent value for money.

Once again thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

John Stirrat

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanark
2.1 km away
24.4 km away
Macdonald Crutherland House
Macdonald Crutherland House
#4 of 7 in East Kilbride

Been to New Lanark Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!