All reviews old city chinese breakfast prayer wheel lobby temple warmth shangri accommodation
Reviewed 3 April 2018

In March I spent 2 weeks in Yunnan and this was my favourite hotel room. The bed and room were both huge, and beautifully decorated. All the staff were lovely.

My room was in the block of 4 just opposite the restaurant. Yes, it was chilly at night but the hotel provided an electric heater and an electric blanket. The tv in the restaurant even had an English news channel. They offer either Western or Chinese breakfast (but I think the Chinese one was hotter!)

It's located in a tiny lane just around the corner from the main square.

March was very quiet in Shangri-La as it is their low season.

Room Tip: All rooms are on 2 floors so access is not a problem
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2018

We had many problems with this hotel....
1. Temperature: Maybe this place would be okay at a different time of year, but we were there in December and it was COLD! We turned the wall heater in the room to the highest possible setting, and yet it was still absolutely freezing. We were sitting in our room in our parkas, hats, scarves, etc., but it wasn't enough to keep us warm. My mom and my aunt were in another room, and they had the same problem. They called the staff a couple of times to come and look at the heater, but the staff kept insisting that the heater was fine, and that it wasn't actually that cold. They also pointed out that there were heated pads in the bed, which was true... but it's also nice to be warm in your room without having to climb into bed and burrow deep beneath the covers.
2. Location: Yes, the hotel is inside the old city, but the particular neighborhood where the hotel is located was a weird cross between a ghost town and an open construction site. (It's possible things have changed since we were there, though?) When we were there, there were no shops or restaurants nearby, and there was a ton of construction going on right in front of the hotel. It was very dark at night, too, so it felt a little spooky to walk back in the evening from the more central part of old town.
3. Dirty rooms: Stained carpets. Something on bed covers that looked like rodent droppings. (It's possible it was something else... but that's what it looked like to me.)
4. Breakfast: I guess the breakfast was ok, though it was pretty basic. Hard to enjoy, though, since the breakfast area (in the lobby) was very, very cold.
Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel, especially in the wintertime. We ended up switching to different hotel after our first night, even though we were only staying in Shangri-la for one more night. The new hotel was not in the old city, which was disappointing, but at least it was warm.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank dnelson288
Reviewed 16 November 2017

It has 3 buildings and I stayed at Courtyard One. To have breakfast, I have to walk to Courtyard Three which is 2 mins away. It is quite secluded and quiet but just 5 mins walking distance to the main square. Very beautifully decorated and cosy. I can see the temple and prayer wheel outside my room on the 2nd floor which is also the rooftop. There are chairs and tables on the rooftop, so you can just sit there having drinks while enjoying the view and crisp fresh air. There is only 1 television at the reception lobby, no television in the room though. But this doesn't bother me. Enjoyed the stay very much!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2017

the hotel has 3 buildings all in the old city of beautiful Shangri La.
We had a superior king-bed room, beautifully decorated, specious clean and just perfect.
We enjoyed western breakfast.
and warm welcome.
There is no access to the hotel by cars, they come to take the luggage to/from the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2017

This hotel is in Dukezong ancient town. It's just a few steps from the old quarter and the square.

My experience here is pleasant. The staff is helpful, friendly and caring. Though they cannot speak English, they try to communicate with us using a few words, body language and a translation apps (with extreme precisement!)

My room was on 2nd floor. It's warm and cozy. There is an electric blanket to keep warm at night because it's usually 10 degree outside even though it was summer. The bathroom is nice, too because they also install a heater inside. However the shower temperature is a bit difficult to control. It took me 5 minutes waiting for the right temperature to shower.

We didn't have lunch or dinner here but breakfast is fine. You can chose either Western-style or Chinese-style breakfast. Though they are not excellent, I can say it's good enough for me.

The hotel's location is convenient. There're many restaurants around the hotel (mind that some do not have English language menu). You can walk to the old quarter in less than 10 minutes, and to the bus stop taking you to other places in town in about 15 minutes.

Hope you also have a pleasant experience here like me!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple