Free cancellation until 27/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$284
US$136
Savings alert! 31% below average rates

The price you found is 31% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$196/night.

US$248
US$133
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$174/night.

Guesthouse Asora(Aso)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$53
El Patio Ranch(Aso)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$116
US$201
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$287
US$278
Ryokan
All reviewsprivate roomtrain stationgreat kitchencommon spacethree nightsnearby onsenawesome placeopen plankind stafftourist informationhosteltoiletsdormfacilitiesjapanmapinteraction
Reviewed 30 November 2014

stumbled into this hostel on our trip through Kyushu. We were very pleasantly surprised. Great location (across the street from the train station), nice rooms, comfortable common room, laundry, and *so* clean. One of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed in. Staff was super helpful and nice. Well priced too!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2014

I don't usually write TripAdvisor reviews for places when I agree with what's already been said (I mean, how many "this place is great" comments are necessary?). But Aso Base Backpackers is in such a class by itself that I had to add my praise. Therefore, let me say, "This place is great!"

Immaculately clean and in perfect condition. A wonderful place to stay. I spent a month in Japan very recently, and generally stayed in hostels and hostel-like guest houses. Of the 12 places in which I stayed, Aso Base Backpackers was by-far the cleanest, nicest, newest. And in a Japan that's almost pathologically clean, this place is immaculate. It was a joy to stay there.

And it is VERY convenient to the train station. And it is a good place to interact with fellow travelers.

Aside from the hostel, allow me to mention the mountain. When I was there, the main caldera was so volcanically active that there was a restriction against people using the rope-lift and doing the traditional hike around the lip of the current central caldera. Initially, when I found this out, I thought I had made a mistake by coming to Aso. That would have been wrong. There are several great places to hike in the hills that immediately surround the current central caldera, and a too-active Mt. Aso does not prevent hiking on these (and getting stunning views). Take the bus to the Aso Volcano Museum, and most of the trails start from there. [Another great thing about Aso Base Backpackers is that they allow you to borrow very good hiking maps of the area (they don't try to sell them to you, you borrow them and return them).]

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ArgentineTraveller6
Reviewed 12 November 2014

Best hostel I have ever been to, it just has everything you need: fast WIFI, 3 min walk to bus and train station, clean, English speaking staff, more than enough toilet and shower facilities and on top of all that an extremely good kitchen. If you go to Aso, you will not get more value for your money somewhere else!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2014 via mobile

Better than many good hotels I have stayed at in Europe and The States. Great service, very much feels at home, also great to hang out at when it rains.

Have not stayed at a hostel for years, but thanks to this experience I'll check out more hostels across Japan.

• Stayed: October 2014
Reviewed 29 October 2014

I stayed for three nights and it was probably the cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in. Everything looked new. The location is very convenient for the train station and the staff were friendly and very helpful (and spoke English). If I'm ever in the area again, I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo