“Wonderful break” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Wonderful break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I have just spent 4 nights at Opio and had a great time.
After a very early flight, booked through Club Med, the transfer to the village was undertaken by taxi, with the driver waiting to greet me immediately outside the customs area at Nice airport. The transfer took approx 35 mins.
On arrival I was taken to reception by a very nice Irish GO. One negative aspect was that, having arrived at the village at approx 10.50am, I was unable to access my room until after 2pm. I had specifically asked when I booked whether I would be able to go straight to my room on arrival and was told yes, so I was disappointed when this didn't happen. Whilst this delay did enable me to explore the village I would have preferred not to do this in clothes which, whilst suitable for a 4am start on a chilly English morning, were inappropriate for the midday temperatures in Provence.
When I did get to my room it was clean and perfectly adequate for me as a solo traveller but think it would be quite 'snug' for two people. It would have been great had there been insect screens on the windows as I prefer to sleep with the windows open than rely on the a/c but really not a good idea to do so with the resident mosquito population. A recommendation for those traveling to Opio - remember to take something with you to deal with the mosquitoes which seem to bite quite happily during the day as well as at night!
As a total beginner I took advantage of both the beginners golf lessons included in the package - 11.30am - 12.30am each day - and paid in advance for the 3-day beginner's golf course 2 - 4.30pm each day, with a 15 min drinks break. The morning lessons were entirely in French with me being the only English speaker amongst a group of approx 15. In the afternoon the teacher, Jean-Gabriel, was excellent but had only a few words of English. Whilst I speak some French and hence probably understood approx 60-70% of the lessons I think I probably missed out on some of the more subtle aspects of what I should be doing. Even taking this into account I really enjoyed the golf and was very pleased by the progress I made. The golf team provided a demonstration at 9.45pm on the Tuesday evening which included some tips and suggestions. The demonstration was a mix of great shots and some more humorous aspects with 'tricks' performed by the GO's but not recommended to be attempted by the GM's!
I did my sunbathing near the Zen pool rather than the main pool. Whilst there was a paved area immediately around the Zen pool and also a lawned area with sun beds I took advantage of the sun beds interspersed amongst the Olive grove, which was retained when Club Med developed the site with some of the trees being more 80 years old.
The main restaurant has a mix of tables indoors and outdoors with beautiful views over the surrounding Provencal countryside. The food was great with a wonderful choice at every meal.
Overall a great break and will definitely consider another holiday at this location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Opio en Provence Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you had good time there and you enjoyed the food quality and practising sports with our well trained G.O.s.

Your Club Med UK Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Surrey, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I am writing a new review because despite having whinged like mad about the steps last year, I was surprised to find myself returning this August, and had an absolutely fantastic time.
We were very short of time and as Nice is scheduled 1hr40 min BA flights from terminal 5 with, for us, a short transfer both ends, it meant we could get full 9 days holiday from 8 nights away.
We upgraded our rooms this year to get balconies. It was well worth it, the views are spectacular, it really has the most beautiful setting. Our room was quite central which was perfect for us, but probably too noisy for someone with younger children. There are no conferences in late July/August, its all families on holiday.
There is a lot going on here. The tennis centre is fantastic and we tried to play some tennis but it was just too hot , the golf was cooler. The kids loved the circus school, its also great fun to watch in the afternoons. The kids clubs are great fun, we went in schools hols and there are lots of English kids here. I loved the Zen pool (quiet pool, adults only) too much and after a while could happily contemplate selling the children on e-bay. There are regular petang tournaments, table tennis, water pole, aqua gym etc as well as a proper gym and studio classes. But, there are also lots of quiet shady places around the grounds if you just want to lie down and read.
The main pool is the centre of activity in the day time and the GOs really go out of their way to create a fun, happy atmosphere. Charles was in charge whilst we were there and he was very pleasant and charming. There is a lot of dancing and crazy signs (set silly dances to pop songs) in the evenings and a show every evening. Europeans are a lot less uptight than us and its funny to see teenagers with 30cm of their Superdry pants on show, dancing alongside small children, parents and Grannies, but the GO's somehow bring everyone together.
The food was amazing as always.
My only complaint would be that due to injury there was no circus show when I was there, so at least I have an excuse to return next year! Actually maybe somebody at Club Med could youtube it for me?
I have read complaints about service etc on this website and I can only say that we were really well looked after. The only complaints I heard from the English families were about the reception staff, who were mostly Irish, so it wasn't a communication problem, they just weren't always very helpful.
We will definitely go back, La Palmyre Atlantique has always been my no1 Club Med holiday destination, but Opio is a 4 trident, you can see the differences and it may overtake.

Room Tip: Upgrade to balcony if suitable
1 Thank Surreymum_9
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Opio en Provence Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you and your family had good time there and you enjoyed the food quality, practising sports with our well trained G.O.s and the way your children have been welcomed in the Kids' Clubs.

Bucks, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

Just got back from out third family holiday in Opio and still like the place.

The positives - staff seemed friendlier and more out-going to non-French than in the past (inc one very helpful Irish GO, who was encouraging anglophone kids to join the clubs and pointing out that this August-September week there were more of them). Place and scenery lovely, although I agree that it could be better 'mapped' - the 'zen' pool started filling up mid-week as adults actually found it (of course selfishly I didn't like that!). Love the sofas on the terrace (when I can get one!). Main pool a little bit small for the resort size but not bad. Cocktail making skills of the bar staff a teensy bit variable but that probably shows I just drink too many...
One major negative was the fact that they informed us that they had closed the second, more intimate (and quieter) restaurant for evening meals the week before (ie the last full week of the French school holidays) and yet the main restaurant was clearly over-crowded. Indeed by Friday evening it seemed flooded with people, some of whom didn't even seem to be staying at the resort, with ten minute queues (I'm not kidding) for something unidentified (so long was the line) that the chef was dishing out. I'm not the greatest fan of buffets to start with but it was like the worst kind of noisy 'school dinner' queuing - hardly appropriate for the status and cost of the place.

2 Thank zenBucks
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Opio en Provence Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you and your family had good time there and you enjoyed the way your children have been welcomed in the Kids' Clubs and our staff commitment.

As far as the waiting time in the Restaurant is concerned, please note that the above resort was at full occupancy during the period of your stay and whilst our staff on site do their utmost to reduce waiting times, this is not always possible due to the large number of guests in the Restaurant at the same moment. On behalf of Club Med, please accept my sincere apologies, if this was not the case on this occasion.

Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Having read many reviews we were somewhat nervous, but overall we were very positive about the Club and when our five year old burst into tears when we arrived back in London as she was missing France we knew the holiday had been a success for all.

The positives: Food is fantastic in the course of a week we never tired of the selections on offer, we have eaten in some of the best hotels in the world and their buffets were not as good as this. You can sit as a family of 4 on your own table without sharing and there are also tables for two in the evening. House rose was more than drinkable, better than the white and red. Opio is beautiful and the neighbouring village of Valbonne is worth a visit especially to the market on Friday. There is plenty to do and the shows were very entertaining and of a high quality. It is packed in August and the entertainment during the day is quite full on, but there are quieter places where you can relax in peace. If you are into sport you wont be disappointed, the tennis courts are very good and the golf driving range is a little oasis at the end of the day. The trapeze artists were very impressive and this is a seriously unique facility and one which seemed to keep many teenagers entertained.

The negatives: The staff are friendly, but functional. You know that you are not in a five star hotel as they don't go the extra mile for you which was disappointing. We had a very disappointing experience with the children's club. Our five year old doesnt speak French and despite assurances that she would be well looked after we found her almost in tears at the children's meal. She felt alone and we immediately withdrew her from the club. The baby club was full, however we managed to get our 20 month old in for one session. My wife was very unimpressed with the attitude of one of the staff so we opted to hire a "babysitter" from an outside agency. She was bilingual and excellent and made the holiday for the children. This is not a cheap option as there is a minimum payment of Euros 65 for three hours but it was worth it.

The accomodation is OK, very clean and the air conditioning was effective (once our leak had been fixed) but the rooms are very small. Nice balcony though. The biggest disappointment is the lack of lifts in the buildings so if you have a pushchair you need to carry it up stairs. This really needs addressing. For children three and over this resort is great but for babies and small toddlers I am not convinced.

Conclusion: This is a great holiday for families, cheaper and more fun than a five star resort just dont go there expecting the same service. We would return and would recommend it to friends with the above caveats.

2 Thank Frequenttravellers2
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Opio en Provence Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you and your family had good time there and you enjoyed the food quality and the Resort location.

We are deeply sorry to learn about your dissatisfaction regarding the lack of spoken English at the Mini Club. Whilst it is true that Club Med is a French company with a majority of French guests and members of staff, we do our utmost to provide as many English members of staff as possible for our English customers. On behalf of Club Med, please accept my sincere apologies, if this was not the case on this occasion

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We loved the food and the location. People was very friendly, as in other club meds, but english was not spoken everywere. This is advertised as a club med for families with young children, but i didn't feel that it was. We were given rooms in the second floor and there was no lift to take the pushchairs, so we had to leave them on the first floor or carried them to the room, having a 6 months old baby and a two year old toddler, this was a real inconvinience. The children's restaurant was very nice with appropriate food, but the opening times were not the best. There was a baby room available 24/7 but no one informed us about it and we find out the day we were leaving. The baby club med was a waist of 300 euros, the baby hated it the first day and cry non stop for two hours. I wouldn't recomend to pay for i unless your baby is use to been cared for people she doesn't know. No one speaks english in the bsby club med so getting to comunicate the baby's basic routine was a challenge. The waiting time in the bar is unreasonable at peak times. The food at the restaurant is excellent. The activities are great, specially for older children (8 onwards).
Someone broke into my room at 12 am, it was probably a mistake, but it was scary. For a family with children i would recommend Da Balai ib Portugal, it is superir in every way and much friendlier with young children.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the ground floor if you need to use a pushchair! There is o lift.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Flor P
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Dear Customer,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments about your holiday experience at Opio en Provence Club Med resort. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed the location, the food, the activities and that you find our team friendly.

We are deeply sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with the lack of spoken English. Whilst it is true that Club Med is a French company, it is only fair to say that we aim to do our utmost for our English customers to feel less isolated by providing English members of staff wherever possible.

Kindly note that Opio is one of our most popular resorts for families with children and teens due to extensive facilities: Kids’ Clubs from ages 4 months to 17 years inclusive, dedicated areas and equipment designed especially for children. In view of the above, please accept our sincerest apologies if your children were not comfortable with our services.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and we now hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company by welcoming your family to another Club Med resort in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Your Club Med UK team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opio
2.2 km away
#4 of 204 in Nice
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,210 reviews
2.4 km away
Chambre de Luxe Golf Opio Valbonne

Been to Club Med Opio Provence? Share your experiences!