See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 August 2016

We decided to walk from home to the hotel which involved a 4-hour hike and found the hotel a lovely place to relax. After a shower, we had a cooling dip in the pool and recovered in the shade, before having a nice meal later next to the pool. The only problem was that we had to leave before breakfast at 9 am to avoid the sweltering heat. So we left at 8 am after having enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Hotel C, Gerente at Hotel Carlos Astorga, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2017

Thank you very much for your opinion, we love that our guests / friends as they were are their home. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

Stayed here and had 2 rooms with partner and in laws. More of a business trip than leisure and had to bring one of our dogs along due to an injury and it was fab. The rooms are dated but very clean and cosy. The hotel grounds are lovely and well kept. Staff helpful and friendly. Overall great hotel to have your dog with you and in a great location.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

We stayed at this Cortijo for a relaxing break. The rooms are spacious, clean with a good sized bathroom with bath and shower over. The swimming pool is large with plenty of grass surrounding it. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food very good and reasonably priced. We have stayed there before and are going back tomorrow - love it!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 September 2015

As soon as we entered the room we wished we had never booked this place. I literally wanted to leave and find a different hotel but as we had already paid for two nights in advance, I just hoped for the 2 days to go by as quickly as possible. There was a dead fly on the floor, ants on the bathroom floor, the walls were full of stains with a giant ant walking around and some cobwebs, the casings from the plug were missing making it dangerous, the air conditioning did not work, there were black unidentified objects on the room floor, an arrow on the floor ( that can tell you what the cleaning is like if it has been left in the room and not removed).

We are a couple and had booked a double room. However we were given a room with two single beds, one of them very creeky. The bedsheets were stained and had a few holes on them. The mattresses were not the best, my partner found his very uncomfortable and too short for him (5'10"). The pillows were extremely uncomfortable as well. I even discovered an ant on my pillow while I was lying down on it, not a very pleasing experience. There was also some kind of insect crawling around my partner's bed.

The bathtub, toilet seat and sink were clean, however I did not feel like I wanted to take a shower there as I do not feel shower curtains are that hygienic, especially when this one was touching the toilet brush (see photo). A shower screen would be a more hygienic upgrade for the bathroom. When attempting to use the shower the pole that was holding the shower head fell apart. We received complimentary shampoo, gel and combs. There were 2 hand towels, one with a massive big hole in as well as a big yellow stain, 2 bath towels and a foot towel, again with a hole in the middle. However, there were ants on the floor as mentioned before and the bin was not clean (see photos). There was a sign on the bathroom sink asking for us to protect the environment by only asking for towels to be changed if necessary which I totally agree with, however it is very hypocritical to have such a sign asking to protect the environment in a hotel that is part of the Federation of Hunting.
There was no terrace or seating outside our rooms, the only place to go was either the tables outside the restaurant or the pool. We decided to go to the pool, which is a chlorinated pool, where unfortunately there were only 4 or 5 usable sun loungers, which were of course taken and 3 broken ones. We ended up spending most of our time inside our hated room as we could not get sun loungers in the pool which is really sad as we came to Spain to enjoy the sun. There are 18 rooms in this hotel and we came from a hotel with only 4 rooms, however the hotel with only 4 rooms managed to have more sun loungers. Even though the staff has wasp traps, there were still constant wasps by the pool and the breakfast area, as far as we know this was the only area you could have breakfast. If that wasn't bad enough we had smokers around us while having breakfast and had to leave before even managing to finish our breakfast. There were also ants and giant ants. I know we are in the countryside but we came from a hotel in the countryside 10minutes from here and there were no constants wasp and giant ants like here, let alone a single ant inside our bedroom.

Breakfast: The choices were very limited: there was some fruit, bottled juice, cheese, cold meats, yoghurts, muffins, cereals, bread, butter and jams and chocolate spread. There was coffee, chocolate powder, cow's milk and non-fresh tomato (in a jam-like container). I do not drink cow's milk, asked if they had an alternative milk but they didn't and that really limited my choice of breakfast as I could not have cereals, coffee or chocolate milk to dip a muffin in, etc. I did not enjoy my breakfast at all.

As mentioned before, the hotel has a sign of the Federation of Hunting. It also has dead animals heads on the walls as trophies, which is disturbing to any animal lover.

Good things about the hotel: To be fair to the hotel, not everything was bad about it. The outside of the buildings looked nice, the window shutters were very good at stopping the sun coming in the room in the morning and when guests are not making noise it is a very quiet place and you can enjoy the peace and quiet.

Having said that, I would never come back here or recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phoenix K
Eloy F, Director de Recepción at Hotel Carlos Astorga, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2016

Hello wanted to inform you that as of February 26 reopen the hotel, since I changed owners, to say that we are adapting the facilities and we also wanted to return to visit from the opening date, since we are excited about this new project.

Best regards.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

If you want a break from hectic city life this is the place for you. The hotel is about an hours drives from Malaga. The rooms, bar and restaurant are set around a big swimming pool in a beautiful setting. You can also rent little huts in the woods
My hotel rooms was huge but fairly basic if you are staying here you probably wont want to be spending loads of time in your hotel room. The staff at this hotel could not be nicer. I had dinner there one evening. The food is great home cooked Spanish food. There is plenty to do in the area from horse riding to site seeing. I would love to go back here for a week. Not sure I should be telling you about this hotel as I would quite like to keep it a secret just for me.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends