Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
View deal
Expedia.comUS$119
Priceline
TravelocityUS$119
All reviews toboggan run welcome meeting northern lights sofa bed hotel is in a great location an amazing holiday day trip drying cupboard winter wonderland last night father christmas snow gear tea coffee a la carte menu breakfast and dinner husky safari taster
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 December 2021

The rooms are small, the beds uncomfortable, drinks and food are expensive.
Having said that this very tired hotel isn't too bad for a short stay but don't go there expecting
too much. Oh!......the food is very ordinary but plenty of it.
If we visit the area again we would not use one of the UK holiday companies again. Their prices
are absolutely over the top and they do very little to assist you!
If you book a hotel and your flights yourself you will save and absolute fortune!

1  Thank John S
Lapland Hotels Riekonlinna, Guest Services / Front Office at Lapland Hotel Riekonlinna, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2021

Thank you for your feedback! We were scheduled for a renovation but unfortunately this Covid situation delayed it.
Merry Christmas and welcome again!

Reviewed 16 December 2021 via mobile

Just returned home from a short stay in this hotel. We booked one of the apartments as had read that they offered a bit more space and home comforts and we were not disappointed. The room itself was well equipped and clean. We decided to have the sofa bed and give our daughter the main bed so we could move around more easily within the apartment after she went to bed which worked well. The sauna was a lovely treat after a day walking up the mountain to sledge (top tip - it’s worth walking right to the top or getting the ski lift, the views are amazing!). The room doesn’t come with tea or coffee supplies but we had brought our own and there was a shop down the road which we used to buy a few snacks. We found the service in the hotel to be excellent and had no issues with the food - whilst dinner choice was more limited it was very tasty. Overall amazing experience.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Lapland Hotels Riekonlinna, Guest Services / Front Office at Lapland Hotel Riekonlinna, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2021

Thank you for the lovely feedback! It is so nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Merry Christmas and welcome again!

Reviewed 13 December 2021 via mobile

Here is my honest review.
Booked through Santa’s Lapland who were great throughout.
The hotel is in a great location, just 5 minute walk to the tobogganing area. There are restaurants and bars about 5-10 min walk away but we didn’t use these. There are also a few gift shops and about a 15 min walk away is a good sized supermarket that also stocks warm clothes and hats etc in case you forget anything.
The rooms are basic and tired but I didn’t mind too much as I wasn’t really in my room much and for me the cleanliness was the most important and these rooms were very clean. The beds were very comfortable although I wasn’t sure at first as the mattress looked very thin. The bathroom was not acceptable the sink was cracked in several places and the shower leaked across the floor. It was hot and clean but definitely needs some attention. The hairdryer provided was quite good. There was tea and coffee in the room. Breakfast and dinner were good. It was a buffet and there was a good choice and it was cooked nice. The staff were really nice too.
So to summarise I liked this hotel, it’s cosy, warm and authentic but the rooms do need an update. I would stay again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Lapland Hotels Riekonlinna, Guest Services / Front Office at Lapland Hotel Riekonlinna, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2021

Thank you for your feedback! Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and could visit us again. The rooms, especially bathrooms are in need of a renovation and we already have plans for a renovation in the hopefully near future.
Hope you have a lovely Christmas and welcome again!

Reviewed 9 December 2021 via mobile

We stayed here as a package deal with TUI from the 5th-8th December.
The location of this hotel is stunning! The views really are breath taking and for this I would love to return to the area. Everything is located on a main road that is within walking distance, with a quaint little pub, a restaurant and supermarket.
As a group of fussy eaters including a vegetarian we were pleasantly surprised with the food options at the buffets. There was something for all of us and the kids went as far as saying it was the best food ever!
Alcohol is very expensive but we’d researched beforehand so we’re prepared for this and had stocked up on the duty free.

The let down for us is a big one and for this reason alone I couldn’t return here.
Whilst on the taster day excursion one of the guides was pushing the kids down a hill on sledges. The 2nd time going down my 5 year old crashed into a tree at speed. Accidents happen it was no ones fault. She was in pain and crying . I asked the guide where I could get first aid and she told us that she didn’t know as elves don’t get sick, shrugged and walked off.
My 5 year old was visibly crying at this point and we found the guide to be really unhelpful and dismissive. I was shocked by the response. Other families on the trip came to help us which I’m so grateful for.

We returned to the hotel and I asked the receptionist for help. The male just said he couldn’t help us as he didn’t know. I found the TUI rep who explained the no one in the hotel is first aid trained and we could get a taxi for ivalvo medical centre but it is 30minutes away and would be very expensive.
My little one had fallen asleep at this point , we decided to see how she was when she woke up.
The next day she was adamant she wanted to see Father Christmas (understandably) we set off on the coach but we had to turn back. We didn’t want our other child to miss out so we decided to spilt up and I was alone with our daughter now.

She got worse and her leg started to swell. I was panicking. I went back to reception and spoke to the same male and again asked him to help me. He repeated that he couldn’t help as they don’t do first aid.
I managed to find the TUI rep again who was fabulous! He got the receptionist to call us a taxi, carried my daughter into the taxi for me and explained to the driver where I needed to go.
200 euros later we got to the medical centre. I can’t stress how upsetting it was as a parent to be alone with an injured child in a foreign country when you don’t speak the language.
After a lengthy weight and two x-rays, The doctor explained that her leg was sprained. I was so relieved it wasn’t anything worse. The doctor said if it had been broken the nearest hospital is 2 hours away and they would have had to request an ambulance pick us up.

We got back to the hotel with one upset girl as she’d missed seeing Father Christmas. The reps were so kind. They got Father Christmas to record her a personal message and got her a gift to make up for it. She was over the moon!

We got back to the UK last night. Her leg wasn’t getting any better so we went to hospital here in the UK to get checked out just as a precaution.
It’s broken. She has a badly broken leg and we shouldn’t have flown home. I don’t understand how the x rays we had in ivalo showed nothing yet it’s broken. But my concern with the hotel is why no member of staff is first aid trained and why the receptionist couldn’t have advised me to go to the medical centre or even made me aware of it.

Given that the focus on coming here in winter is to go sledging, skiing, etc I’m so surprised that there are no medical facilities nearby.

Im so grateful to the TUI staff. I don’t know what I would have done without them.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Lapland Hotels Riekonlinna, Guest Services / Front Office at Lapland Hotel Riekonlinna, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2021

Thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry that your daughter was injured and you could't enjoy your stay until the end. Unfortunately there is no doctor or health center in Saariselkä at all. The nearest is in Ivalo. Our receptionis should have told you about this in the first place. Most of our staff are first aid capable. We'll take this matter seriously and go through this with our staff.
We hope your daughter will get well soon. We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Reviewed 7 December 2021 via mobile

We travelled as a family of 6 with our 2 granddaughters to experience Lapland and visit Santa. As we arrived with Tui we were taken to a welcome meeting before being taken to our hotel, this basically introduced us to the in resort reps and explained the add on excursions available, we were all quite tired and hungry at this point and really just wanted to get to our rooms and the girls just wanted to play in the snow. We then got back on our bus to drive across the road to our hotel and given our room keys, there was a bit of a mix up at this point as we were only given 1 room key and we had 2 rooms booked, after a bit of confusion this was eventually sorted out. On entering our apartment we were very happy with the rooms, after reading previous reviews about them being outdated we weren’t sure what to expect. We felt the hotel/rooms were in keeping with the location, very clean and well equipped, all the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. There was a good selection of food available at both breakfast and evening meals, the only meal we had an issue with was the gala dinner, nothing to do with the food but the fact that it didn’t start till 7.30, there were too many people trying to be seated at the same time, different families were being sat together and no Christmas music playing, it felt like you were queuing up for a school dinner! Apart from that we had an amazing time, the taster sessions day was great, we booked a husky safari with husky and co, this was great, the trip to see Santa was magical, the girls loved sledging everywhere, the elves were great from start to finish entertaining the girls - Cookie and Lalala were favourites! The location was stunning and we got to see the northern lights! An amazing holiday and would definitely recommend both the location and the hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. It's very nice that you enjoyed your stay here and almost everything went well. Unfortunately it's not always possible to seat only the same families in the same table. Of course we try to do our best, but it depends on the number of persons and table size as well. This is the high season and the groups are big. We are very sorry if you had to queue too long.
We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year! Hope to see you again some day.