FindHotel
CheapTickets
Destinia.com
Hotels.com
eDreams
All reviews glass roof northern lights husky safari ice fishing breakfast and dinner aurora hunting hot water russian border winter wonderland warm overalls outdoor activities aurora room amazing scenery soups buffet style snow suits aurora alarm
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 February 2020

We stayed for one night,in the aurora cabins it was fanatic. Magical experience even though we did not see the northern light, just laying in bed looking at the stars, in the cozy warm with a glass of wine. Staff very helpful and friendly, breakfast and dinner good.

Room tip: If you want to be near the restaurant cabins 70 to 80, however if you want the woods 1 to 20 which has less light pollution
1  Thank 777Aus
Reviewed 3 February 2020

The accommodation is in individual cabins with heated glass roofs and adequate general heating. We didn't see the northern lights from here but there was always a possibility. There is an i-pad system in the rooms which is supposed to alert us if there was a sighting but it was out of order for most of the time and was an annoyance the rest of the time as the light from it reflected directly from the angled roof in to our eyes when in bed. I recommend covering it with a towel.
The food was fine; always buffet style.
We were provided with an itinerary for our booked activities but we got this too late and missed the first workshop; they booked us into another one when we has spare time though. Husky sledding was fun - I was surprised that we had to drive the sleds ourselves. Clothing was provided for all activities although our local ski-shop had prepared us well before we went, with layers of thermal gear.
The Aurora Zone were our travel agents and everything booked through them was top quality; we had private transfer from the airport, baggage portage to the cabin door, although I believe you could borrow a sledge if you wanted to do it all yourself.
If you get the option, choose a period with little or no moonlight as it is so bright that it would obscure the northern lights.

Room tip: I think that all the cabins are similar but ours was in the last row, next to the forest which gave us a more private outlook.
Reviewed 3 February 2020

We had the aurora room, superb views with the large windows. The restaurant food was good and the staff were very good and helpful. The huskie ride activity was wonderful. Great late night camp to see Northen lights (didnt appear ..c'est la vie). Nice village within walking distance, restaurants and a pub.

Room tip: rooms 1 & 2 are on the edge and have excellent views
Reviewed 31 January 2020

1-night winter break in a Panorama Chalet. That means a cabin with a double bed under a large sky light facing north. There are no chairs under the window and the bed is positioned under a curtain rail, so it is only comfortable when you lie down. There is no TV.

The cold weather loan/hire gear was first class. As was the guide running the excellent on-site 1-hour reindeer sleigh ride. There were many orgainsed activites available.

Overall the hotel is an average 3 start quality, so I suppose that’s OK allowing for the location inside the arctic circle. There did not seem to be any local
walks or paths way to wander into the forest around the hotel, when not on an organised activity.

The restaurant is also the only place to sit down away from reception. It’s a 2-star buffet with limited choices. The food was not properly hot. The salad in the evening was the same as at lunch time.

Under an hour by road from Ivalo airport.

1  Thank GordonBennett
Reviewed 29 January 2020 via mobile

Just to make clear- we did not stay at Northern Lights Village but did 3 activities. Firstly, I want to say a huge thank you to a lady called Adriana who has helped me to plan all of my activities so everything slotted into place. She has been a direct point of contact via email- pretty much since January. I don’t think we would of had the experience we had, without her support! Thank you!! First activity was a one hour husky safari. All I can say is wow. It is literally one of the best things I have ever done. The lady (Katerina I think) was great and explained thoroughly how to do everything. I can not describe how wonderful this trip was and he amazing scenery. Me and my husband both want to do it again so we may be back just for this. We then did Search for Santa. Both of our children are still believers at 11 and 9 and had a wonderful time. We met two lovely “elves” Anna and Sanna who were great fun. The children baked gingerbread with them and then we were taken on a reindeer ride through the woods. There was only one other family with us. We arrived then at a cabin with a fire pit outside. At this point the other family were taken to meet Santa while we stayed with Tammy Elf . We couldn’t have had a more personal experience. Tammy played in the snow with the children building snowmen and throwing snow balls. They had the best time. We then went into the cabin for hot chocolate and then toasted marshmallows on the fire. Magical! It was then our turn to search for Santa. We were taken in a heated sleigh pulled by snowmobile through the woods. This was quite a search as the ride was a good 10/15 minute ride. Incredible. We then found Santa who spent about 15 minutes with us chatting. An unforgettable experience. After all of this was over our children went on the snowmobiles which they loved. The lady who did this was great and very attentive to their needs. I think her name was Jonna?? Sorry if this is wrong. Overall the most wonderful magical day. We want to come back!!!

Date of stay: December 2019