“Four days of first rate fly fishing and cuisine in one of the most diverse saltwater fisheries in the world”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Fisherman Fishing Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Punta Allen
Reviewed 17 March 2015

I just came back from a four day flyfishing trip at Club Grand Slam. The fishing was terrific, with plenty of opportunities to catch permit, small tarpon (15 pounds), big snook and all sorts of bonefish. The boats are typical pangas, and each boat comes with two experienced, non-judgmental, English speaking guides who are adept at poling, finding fish and getting the boat into unbelievably shallow water. The lodge is a two story building in town (no views), within 100 yards of the dock where the boats reside. Really more of a house than a lodge in outward appearance and location. There are four nicely appointed (for the rural Yucatan), air conditioned bedrooms with two beds each. The rooms are kept very neat and clean by the housekeeper. The food is on par with many of the good restaurants in Tulum and is presented very attractively by Lupita, the chef. Lots of variety and tons of fresh fruits and vegetables. They even serve 100% real maple syrup at breakfast! Really much better than any other fishing lodge I have stayed in anywhere. Don't get me wrong. This is not a luxury setup with a spectacular view on a beach. This is a fishing lodge, but it has the kinds of nice touches and quality that one would see in one of those places. The main drawbacks of Club Grand Slam are (i) the road in to Punta Allen can be almost undrivable (the lodge can pick you up by boat near Tulum at certain hours, depending upon what times your flights arrive and leave -- do that if you can); (ii) there is really very little to do in Punta Allen for a non-fishing companion; and (iii) there is zero landline or cell phone service and very unpredictable and finicky wireless Internet service. This last point may be a plus to some, but not for me. I get so much email that if I am disconnected for more than a few hours I get swamped. And, of course, my wife in the US was convinced I was dead when I failed to respond. For serious saltwater flyfishers who like being remote yet comfortable and cared for, this is your spot.

Room Tip: There are four rooms on two floors. I think the two on the upper floor are best.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank SOMeredith51

Reviewed 26 September 2014

For what I was looking for, this is as good as it gets. I was in heaven! I have been fly fishing for 25 years and it was one of the best trips I have ever been on. The accommodations were great, a 20 second walk to the boats in the morning, clean rooms, a/c, power, not fancy just comfortable. The cooking was amazing, great Mexican food and tons of it. Ice cold margaritas every day when you return to your room. Greg and Lupita took great care of us the entire trip.

Most importantly, the fishing was awesome! We had great guides that got us into lots of fish every day. We caught bonefish, tarpon, barracuda and a couple other species. Beautiful scenery, and great fishing.

I will definitely go back again and stay with Club Grand Slam!

Tips:
1. Bring everything you need for fishing. There are no fly shops or sporting good stores anywhere near.
2. Stop on the way for alcohol and cigars. Besides a small market next door (which has beer and ice) there are no stores in the area.
3. It is really a fishing destination. If you have guest(s) that aren't fishing, I can't imagine what they would do, and it is a long way from anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank Scottsloth
Reviewed 6 June 2014

my wife and I ventured to Punta Allen for the first time May 26 2014. we had 4 nights booked at another small hotel/house in Punta but one night there was enough and found Mike and Fisherman after a quick drive around this small fishing village. The manager Mike and his staff were exceptional and treated us like royalty. I cant say enough about this place. the prices were right, the food was reasonably priced and very tasty. the place was clean and cosy. the conch shells for all the plumbing fixture spouts is really cool touch. the lodge is not on ocean front but less than a 2 minute walk to the coconut tree lined beache. we happened to be the only ones at the resort so we made it like Mike told us to " treat our hotel like it is your home". it was awesome and we will definitely be back next time in Punta.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I recently returned from my second saltwater fishing trip with Club Grand Slam. Greg and Lupita run a great operation. It's a fisherman's place. The accommodations are new and clean and of course Lupita's cooking is top notch. But the real deal is Ascension Bay and the fantastic fishing. Our guides worked hard to get us on fish. Highly recommend for fisherman.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Patrick S
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My dad and I recently went to Punta Allen on a fly fishing trip and had an amazing time. The natives were extremely friendly, the food was great for each meal, and the lodge was clean and had a fun atmosphere. The Manager Mike really went out of his way to make sure we had a great time. This is an experience I would like all my friends to have!

Cody B

0 km away
Kanxuk Luxury Resort
Kanxuk Luxury Resort
#1 of 3 in Punta Allen

Been to Fisherman Fishing Lodge? Share your experiences!