All reviewsother guestsmorning roomfamily homecastle ruinslarge tablehidden irelandlong drivewaysitting roomhomemade granolatwo nightssteeped in historyunique experienceamazing housecountry manoran amazing place to staycourse dinnerplenty of hot water
Reviewed 27 May 2018

Staying at Temple House was definitely a highlight of our time in Ireland! It is very well located near Sligo, but even if your vacation does not otherwise take you nearby it is worth going out of your way to stay here. If you love history this is a very special and authentic place to stay. Not only do you get to stay in beautiful rooms in an impressive country manor house, but there are the ruins of a Knights Templar Castle on the property! That's pretty amazing. Roderick came out to greet us when we arrived and was such a friendly and welcoming host, with a great sense of humor. He upgraded our rooms to two of the most incredible rooms - they were huge! - and it was such a thrill to be able to experience this piece of living history as if it were our own for the night - and in luxury, too! The home is very grand but the atmosphere is comfortable and relaxed. We had a wonderful time walking around the property amongst all of the sheep, accompanied by the family's very friendly dogs, and taking the boat out on the private lake. We had so much fun!! What generosity for the family to share their beautiful home and estate with guests like us - we felt it was really a privilege to be able stay there - and we had such a great time! We plan to tell everyone we know about this hidden gem and hope to return someday!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
TempleHse, Owner at Temple House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

"Staying at Temple House was definitely a highlight of our time in Ireland!"

Delighted to hear it. Thank you so much. Look fwd to seeing you next time.

Reviewed 11 May 2018

The grounds and house are beautiful and very unique experience. We were lucky enough to be the only ones staying in the house that night. Roderick was a very kind host. Dinner was superb. We went for a row on the lake at sunset. It was so romantic and relaxing. The room was spacious. We have never stayed anywhere quite like Temple House. We had perfect weather and would stay again for longer if ever in County Sligo again!! Don't miss out on staying here as part of your Ireland getaway!!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
TempleHse, Owner at Temple House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

"Dinner was superb"
"Don't miss out on staying here as part of your Ireland getaway"

Thank you very much.
R.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

I've always loved visiting old buildings and thoroughly enjoyed the chance to stay in one. I didn't really know what to expect as I organised this in a hurry and thought I was booking a hotel. Pleasantly surprised to find it run as a country manor by the owners themselves - thank you Roderic and Helena. The peace and quite were wonderful - TVs etc would ruin this place. I had the time of my life looking around at original furniture and other fascinating contents, learning about the family history from the man himself, and just doing not very much. Very serene and easy. We enjoyed checking out the castle and old house ruins by the lake and lovely walks. The whole place is not over developed which for me made it more relaxing. It is definitely not the typical hotel like experience, especially eating with the other guests at breakfast and dinner. We enjoyed it very much, great food and company, but I can imagine that would not be everyones cup of tea. Our room was beautiful, bed was very comfortable, we slept great. We enjoyed a refreshing, relaxing and memorable experience and hope to return sometime. Thank you for the chance to indulge my interest with old houses and history, I feel I was waiting a long time for that.

Stayed: May 2018
TempleHse, Owner at Temple House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

"It is definitely not the typical hotel like experience"

" We enjoyed a refreshing, relaxing and memorable experience and hope to return sometime"

Thanks Ann

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

We flew to Knock and then travelled to Temple House to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I couldn’t wait to visit once again and we weren’t disappointed. This is an amazing place to stay. Roderick & Helena are wonderful hosts and we had great fun with them and the other guests staying as well. They have a new chef and his skills in the kitchen match any fine dining restaurant but even better we get to eat the food in this beautiful and blissful home. We slept in the massive ‘half acre’ bedroom and it must have been the peace and quiet of the area coupled with proper fresh, not London air together with I felt, the healing presence of being enveloped in this beautiful home, we left feeling relaxed and renewed. I didn’t want to leave and we plan to come back once again next year. If I ever want to daydream of a special place then it has to be Temple house and I am so glad we found it to escape from the madness of the albeit great city of London. Thank you once again Roderick & Helena for your hospitality, amazing food and the craic.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonGeraldine
Reviewed 14 April 2018

we arrived mid afternoon we were made very welcome by Rodrick the owner, we went up a magnificent staircase to out huge room it was called the " Half acre room "and despite its size it was very warm and cosy. Dinner was served in the beautiful dining room and we joined the other guest, there is an honesty bar so we were able to have a G&T before diner ,they also have a wine list and the evening meal was very enjoyable. Breakfast again was a traditional Irish breakfast plus we could help ourselves to juice, toast ,cereal etc .The staff were very helpful making our stay most memorable on

Room Tip: ask for the Half Acre Room
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
TempleHse, Owner at Temple House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

"the evening meal was very enjoyable"

Thank you very much.