All reviewscardiff airportan early flightstayed herewake up callshuttle servicecar parkingcontinental breakfastbeansan overnight staythe hotel is cleanthe ground floorfollowing morninggood nights sleepbar areafree shuttleone night stayminute drive
Reviewed 5 October 2017

This used to be a well run hotel with friendly staff and we always used it when flying from Cardiff. Now I think we will have to start looking for somewhere else. The reason(s);

Staff only seem interested in getting through their shift.
It is no longer particularly clean or smart.
The long stay car park is awful and did my car no good at all.
The worst fault is that the last two times we have arrived back we have been left waiting for a lift from the airport (and freezing cold) for 20 - 30 minutes. Considering the hotel is right next to the airport this is not acceptable.
Last time after finally arriving at the hotel we went to the bar for a much needed drink and they were out of almost everything and we were forced to have something we didn't really want - not good given the price.
On several occasions there has been a group of Eastern European men hanging around reception of just outside smoking and perhaps drinking (I am not sure about the latter). They did not help to make us feel welcomed and comfortable.
Breakfast is barely acceptable as are the dining facilities.

I want to like this hotel because we have used it for so many years but unfortunately not any longer.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Carl D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Mark V,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was disappointed to hear of your experience with us and may I take this opportunity to apologise for the shortfalls in service you received.

Regarding your comment around the appearance of the hotel, we are about to undertake an extensive refurbishment of hotel bedrooms and public areas which will transform the appearance of our hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with our complimentary shuttle service. As you may be aware this service runs on request and a first come first serve basis. We will always endeavour to ensure guests are transported in a timely manner.

I was particularly disappointed to read your review of our inclusive "express start" breakfast. We have recently upgraded our breakfast offerings along with all other Holiday Inn Express throughout the UK. We offer an extensive continental buffet, with additional hot items of Bacon, Sausage, Scrambled egg and beans. We offer a wide range of hot drinks (34 different options), various juices, cereals, pastries, muffins, selection of breads and baps, yogurt, fruit compote, fresh fruit, cereals and a vast selection of jams and spreads.

Once again thank you for reviewing your stay with us and providing your feedback. It is with such honest feedback that we can endeavour to improve.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future when I am confident you will have an improved experience.

Best regards
Carl Davies-Phillips

Reviewed 4 October 2017

The facilities were fine it’s the staff that needs retraining to at least look as if they are awake.
We checked in explaining our flight was at 6am and allowing for the 2 hour before rule but as we had a passenger with an oxygen concentrator we would need to be at the check in by at least 3.30 am so it could be checked in by security.
We had paid for breakfast so asked can it be arranged to just have cereal tea/ coffee etc available at this time.
We were told to ring reception to make sure everything was ready for us,the lady was certain it would be as “they get it all ready well before but just in case”
My husband and I couldn’t sleep so decided to grab a coffee and remind them we would need to leave at 3.30 am instead of 4 am.
Turns out our transport hadn’t been booked the night before as we had arranged and there was no drivers to take us plus there wasn’t a wake up call logged even though we had stood there for way longer than we should have arranging all this
lol and behold the whole breakfast area was empty nothing was switched on so I asked are we getting our continental breakfast?
She knew nothing about it as well!!
We ended up having just a cup of tea and a piece of toast each,no jams croissants cereals etc.
Awful awful service I will never again stay in this place and if you’ve got any sense you won’t either.
If you have an early morning flight do not pay for breakfast because you won’t get it.
When we told relatives on arriving home my uncle told us he’d stayed there a few months previous and told them his flight was at 6 am and could he have a call at 4am,they called him at 6am when the flight was leaving!!.
On complaining before leaving we were told breakfast starts at 4 am sorry.
This means if the flight is leaving at 6 and you have to be there by 4 all those passengers who have paid for breakfast don’t actually get it!!
This is a nice little money spinner for someone, disgraceful company!!

Room Tip: All the same really.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank 443bernadettew

Dear 443bernadettew,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was disappointed to read your review and please rest assured a full investigation will be conducted. May I firstly take this opportunity to apologise for the shortfalls in service your received.

Our complimentary "express start" breakfast operates from 4am each morning with hot items available from 6am. We do communicate this on our website when booking online aswell as verbally if booking via telephone. I apologise that the information doesn't seem to have been communicated to you in advance of your stay with us. I was pleased to read that although you had to leave prior to breakfast start time that you were able to have some toast and a hot drink. Once again I do apologise that this information wasn't effectively communicated to you.

Thank you once again for reviewing your stay with us and providing such honest feedback. It is with such feedback that we can put procedures in place to improve the service we provide.

I hope you will at some point give us another opportunity to restore your faith in the service we provide.

Best regards
Carl Davies-Phillips

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed here while I worked in Barry. Good points, parking available on site and staff were friendly.
Bad points:
• Rooms were dated
• I called down for a iron to be sent up and they said "I'm sorry we don't offer that service.. we only have a iron room." Which Is where you take down all your clothes to iron them in this small room by reception.
• Restaurant was like an airport lounge.. not sure if that was to fit in with the theme of an airport hotel.
• breakfast was diabolical with little options for vege. Closest Is a bowl of beans and cereal.

I don't usually make the effort to make reviews but definitely wanted to give some feedback here.. please make some changes.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Jemma B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Hi Harune120,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Its great to see that you found that our team were friendly.
I am happy to announce that at the end of the year all of our rooms will have a revamp, they will also have irons and ironing boards in them.
Please rest assured we will be taking your comments on board regarding our breakfast.
It is only with such honest feedback that we can endeavor to improve.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 1 October 2017

cannot fault this hotel at all, from checking in with a very friendly receptionist to our rooms very comfortable bed, everything was nice and clean, bathroom was quite big, although the only thing was the shower head was not fixed properly and nearly fell on my head, had a good night sleep no noise from the airport at all. breakfast was adequate, nice start to my holidays

Room Tip: my room was overlooking runway
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Anne T,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am pleased to see you found our proximity to the Airport ideal for your stay.
We are happy that you found the team very friendly and that you enjoyed our breakfast.
I am happy to see a lot of positive comments in your review and with that I thank you for.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review you stay here with us.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 September 2017

Comfortable bed, good shower and fairly good breakfast. However, the WiFi was driving several of us bonkers, downstairs it seemed okay, but in the room (111) it continued connecting followed by disconnecting about 30 seconds later, rendering it useless and just winding me up. The premium WiFi it couldnt connect to at all. Otherwise it is what you'd expect for a one night stop to get to the airport. It's close, we actually walked it, but I do believe there is a bus.
The staff were helpful, but not that friendly. Fairly expensive for what I felt I got. To me £120 isnt a cheap quick one night stop.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Hi iReegy,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and for taking the time to post your feedback. While I appreciate your lovely remarks regarding the comfort of our bed as well as our wonderful shower and breakfast, it is regrettable that your experience with the WIFI performance and staff demeanor has been less than satisfactory. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you have encountered. We aspire to provide impeccable services and accommodation. Please know that your feedback has been forwarded to our engineering department for checking and the staff will receive retraining. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back and provide the excellent services you deserve.

Regards,