“DREADFUL, THE WORST MEAL EVER”

Toby Carvery Rhoose in Barry
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Rhoose
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Rhoose. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're South Glamorgan’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My Daughter and I went out for our Usual Thursday Treat Meal, we decided to visit a Toby Carvery because we had never tried it, I am Vegetarian, my Daughter eats limited Meat, so we decided on the All you can eat Meat FREE Option. The Decor is so dated it is unreal, they use the old style thick card place mats, the windows are flaky and unpainted, nothing looked clean, one Family had a baby which ended up with food on the floor, nothing was cleaned for the next customers. The Roast Potatoes were awful and lacking taste, hardly any Veg in view, I still had to Queue by the Meat to get a plate and Yorkshire Pudding, only 1 per time, the Chef was using the meat Knife to pick up the Yorkshires, I had to ask him not to for me, everything was well over cooked, can I ask Toby WHY NO NEW BOILED POTATOES? they have to be the easiest things to cook. the meal left a bad taste in our mouths, so we thought we would have desert, I had the Chocolate Fudge Cake as I thought nothing could go wrong with that, I was wrong, it was dry and had very little Taste, Overall it was the worst £28 I ever spent, the Adverts they have should be more realistic, I am gutted...

1  Thank Jayne W
General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Rhoose in Barry, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thank-you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We are sorry to here you were not happy with standards or food quality. Your feedback has been listened to and fed back to our teams. Please ensure you mention any issues to the servers or duty manager at the time of your meal and they will rectify straight away for you.
Please feel free to call us direct on 01446 700075 if you would like to discuss further.
Kind Regards
The Toby Team

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The old Cwm Ciddy. Handy for a quick drink. The carvery is always good but breakfast stops at 11.30. Also a travel lodge. Nice to sit outside but limited seating and very near the road.

Thanks Melanie for leaving us feedback:).... our breakfast service finishes at 11am Mon-Sat and 10.30am on a Sunday. We also have additional seating at the rear of the business a bit further away from the main road:)

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Must have been a bad day as we have eaten well there, frequently in the past, but midweek you don't expect the service counter to be so messy, a wait for a table , the beef so tough it could make good shoe leather and gravy so thick it would fill the potholes outside. An initial comment about the need to thin the gravy down was met with a remark from the young waitress ( I'm not responsible for the gravy .. " ) it was thinned down by a supervvisor .. but not by taking it back to the kitchen,, No, a jug of hot water from behind the bar did the job, I only hope it was from the coffee machine and not the tap ... then discovered the beef was inedible , returned that and had it replaced after a delay .. fair enough the bill was reduced by 25% but when we ordered deserts iit was added back on again... Come on Toby , I know you can do better than this..

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Rhoose in Barry, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Thank-you Peter for taking the time to leave us feedback. We are sorry to here you were unhapoy with your recent visit. It is never our intention to make you feel that way.
We are a busy Carvery and during the midweek at certain times, unfortunately there can be a wait for a table if you havent pre booked your table before your visit.
Your comments about the food quality and service you received have been passed onto our team who have taken them on board and send their apologies.
Please contact us direct on 01446 700075 if you would like to discuss your visit further.
Kind Regards
The Toby Team

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Average carvery, food was ok, very busy (we visited on a Sunday evening), staff seemed rushed and we had to wait a while for service. Staff were friendly and polite though.
Family friendly - highchairs and baby food available, although annoying the staff weren't allowed to heat up the baby food.
Parking was very good here - we visited from a race track towing cars and there was lots of space.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Rhoose in Barry, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Thanks Melanie. We look forward to seeing you again soon:)

Reviewed 10 March 2018

It is a typical carvery with typical carvery food (I have the vegetarian option and that was surprisingly tasty) and pretty good beer at reasonable prices. The one area it did stand out though was that most of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Not really their fault but it was a rugby weekend and I was trying to watch the game but they only had one TV and a group of locals insisted on standing right in front of it so we could not see the game. Another TV would have been good.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Rhoose in Barry, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Thanks for leaving us lovely feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon:)