5 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$322
View deal
TripadvisorUS$322
FindHotel
All reviews a la carte soft opening rooftop restaurant table service management team buffet style evening entertainment newly refurbished hotel duplex apartment mango bay great resort trying hard families stay palm fringed beach ocean view suite balloons and banners wear long trousers
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 January 2021 via mobile

Having stayed around the world in many wonderful hotels, I can honestly say I have never had such personal hospitality as we have experienced here at The Sands. The owners treat everyone staying here as their personal guests and you are made to feel like family. The staff are all so friendly and do all they can to make you feel special.
We would not normally do all inclusive but the quality chefs provide quality a la carte meals time and time again and despite having been here for a long while, we have never had the same meal twice! Excellent rooms which are always spotlessly clean are located around a huge pool with such comfortable beds and you are a hop, skip and a jump onto one of the best beaches on the island with warm crystal clear waters giving you a refreshing swim with turtles.
We are working here in the week and super quick, reliable wifi makes life and business so easy with the work life balance a dream at any time but even more so in these difficult times.
Cannot recommend highly enough!!!

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank CG-Bookie
Reviewed 3 January 2021

We travelled to Barbados in December 2020. We had to get Covid tests 3 days prior to arrival and another one the day after arrival, if you can afford to get the hotel to book yours with their doctor then the results are usually next day, those that went to the free clinic were waiting an extra day or 2 for their results. We didn’t know we were staying here until arrival at the airport, our hotel had not finished their Covid inspection so we really didn’t know what was going on. The staff were fantastic, and made us feel so welcome. We stayed here for a week before moving to our original hotel, so had a two stay holiday which turned out to be a real treat staying in 2 different locations on the island. The Sands is in the south coast and the sea is a bit rougher there than the west coast, I am not a strong swimmer and found the sea a bit much for me, but the pool was amazing. As this was during Covid there were not many guest at the hotel so we didn’t have any issues with sun beds. The staff are just fabulous, nothing is too much trouble, so friendly and they care about your holiday. Special shout out to Manager Isobel, she went out of her way for us, even arranged an amazing day swimming and riding horses bareback in the sea for my partners birthday, just brilliant.

Room tip: I don’t think you could get a bad room, they all face the pool or the sea.
2  Thank AllieEvan
Reviewed 3 January 2021

My family and I travelled to Barbados in December - it wasn’t an easy trip given the COVid circumstances. From the moment we arrived at The Sands it was heaven. We quarantined for two days and the staff were amazing, so friendly and accommodating. They arranged our tests and made sure we were comfortable while we waited for our results.

It’s is a beautiful hotel with the most magnificent beach if you are travelling to Barbados The Sands is a must stay it will satisfy all your vacation needs and so much more.

Thank you to the staff and all the people who made my families stay so enjoyable.

Catherine & Michael

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank abby2128
Reviewed 21 December 2020

Background: Canadian couple in our 60’s with 38 year old daughter (separate room). First time to Barbados. Just had to get away!

Covid: We had to be tested 72 hours in advance. We used StageZero Life Sciences so that we were guaranteed our results before we travelled. It cost extra but it was worth it not to worry about the results arriving. We also paid to have our second test done at the Sands. This costs extra too and has to be arranged in advance through the Sands reservations email. We were tested Friday morning and had our armbands cut off at 4pm Friday afternoon. I think we got lucky as most got their results the following morning. Those who hadn’t paid for the Doctor to come to the Sands and do the testing had to wait 48+ hours. I’m glad we paid as the lure of the ocean was too strong to wait another day.

While you are in isolation, the resort takes good care of you. Although you are limited to an area away from the beach and pool, you do have the bartender visiting regularly and have access to an area of the restaurant.

Room: We booked the Superior Garden Studio room. We were a bit worried about this by looking at the pictures on line but were 100% delighted upon arrival. Two floors (kitchen and living room on ground, bathroom and bedroom on second). The kitchen has a fridge, kettle and hotplate type stove. The room was spacious and clean.

Food: The only area that we were a tad disappointed in. The breakfasts were wonderful but the lunch and dinners could be a bit repetitive. They tended to overcook the fish. But the steaks and burgers were fantastic. My wife loved the soups. Daughter and I loved the Ice Cream.

Grounds: opens right on to the beach. Beautiful aqua water. Snorkeling to the reef is fun and within 200 ft. No problem getting loungers.

Overall: To us the best part of the Sands was the staff. Everyone of them – from maids, to waitresses, to bartenders, to the maintenance guys, to the front desk - went out of their way to ensure we were having a great stay. It never felt like it was forced, rather that they were genuinely glad to host us. Special nods to the Management staff who routinely checked that we were happy and to Lamar the bartender who was the cause of much of the happiness!

Some notes:

1. Very few sandflies or no-see-ums. I tend to get bitten but not a one.
2. On Sundays there is a bar next door on the beach that has a dj in the afternoons (really starts to heat up about 4pm). This was great fun.
3. There is also another bar just past the Sunday DJ bar that is a wonderful place to watch sunsets and enjoy a fun vibe.
4. We booked our tour of the island and our catamaran snorkeling excursions directly through the hotel. Neither were cheap but both well worth the money.
5. There is a convenience store in the sands parking lot. Has booze, munchies, food, etc. Five minutes down the road there is a Trimart grocery store that is cheaper and has a better selection.
6. There is a Cave Sheppard Duty Free store with a nice selection of souvenirs and duty free items just past the Trimart.
7. The bars and clubs of the St. Lawrence gap are either closed or quiet. Not a lot going on.
8. Most of the tourist areas of Bridgetown are either closed or reduced. We tried to have an outdoor beer at the harbor in vain.
9. Bring sunscreen. That Barbados sun is killer!
10. Dina’s restaurant in Bathsheba was great fun for lunch on our island tour. Loved the flying fish.

We had a great time and hope to return to the sands again in the future. Thank you to the staff for their hard work, professionalism and constant smiles. What a great holiday. If I can answer any questions please contact me.

Room tip: Go to the Sunday DJ party at bar next door on the beach!
4  Thank ralu25
Reviewed 20 December 2020

Just back after two weeks at The Sands and I cannot stress how good this hotel is. This really is a place to totally relax - rooms are spacious and have excellent fixtures and fittings. Beach is perfect with shallow water for those who don't feel comfortable in deep water. However, the main selling point of this hotel is the staff - they are all so helpful and friendly and I am sure if I mentioned them all I would miss someone off! However, a special thanks to Charlene who, from the moment we stepped into the property (and it is a wow when you look from the lobby to the pool / beach area!) she looked after us the whole time we were there. Nothing is too much trouble and she is a real asset to the hotel. Although we should have been at Mango Bay (their sister hotel) we were not disappointed we had to be moved - so much so that we will definitely be back. After many years of visiting Barbados and staying in many hotels, this has to be the nicest in terms of the overall package. I cannot stress how safe it is at the moment to visit Barbados - we had our second test done at the hotel the day after we arrived so only had one full day of quarantine - and even that was no trouble as you are looked after and have everything you need to be able to enjoy the outside spaces. It has been a worrying time for all Barbadians and we need to all get back to this beautiful island with its beautiful people! I would have no hesitation in going back tomorrow!

Room tip: You can't have a bad room - the design of the hotel makes sure everyone gets a good view!
4  Thank rulebritannia