“Cozy place, friendly staff, tasty food.”
Review of Freken Bok Cafe

Freken Bok Cafe
Ranked #1 of 104 Restaurants in Taganrog
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 29 October 2017

This is may be the most famous and popular place in Taganrog. The cafe features thematic interior devoted to the popular book of Astrid Lindgren, Karlsson-on-the-Roof and to the Russian great actress, Faina Ranevskaya, who is also known for the character of Fröken Bock. The place has breakfast menu, dinner menu (not very broad, but very decent), selection of deserts and hot drinks. The alcohol menu is very restricted. Everything were very tasty, salads, soups, main courses, deserts and coffee. The staff was very nice and friendly. We had great time there. As the cafe is small, the booking of the table in advance is necessary.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Went late morning for coffee, although I had white wine which was superb, lots of people having food and the place was clean and spotless

Reviewed 11 July 2017

My family and I went a few weeks ago, but there were no outdoor tables and the indoor tables were all occupied. I returned today with two adults, a male and a female; there were outdoor tables and empty tables indoors. Indoors there are 3 or 4 tables that could seat up to 4 people and 3 tables that could seat 6 and possibly 8. There was a table behind me that I never got a very good look at, It is not a large restaurant.
There were two couples, one family, some people behind me that I heard but never saw, and a single fellow seated at the most distant table from me.
I ordered a fish dinner that came with potatoes and asked if I might get french fires, but was told (through translation) that they came with mashed potatoes which I really didn't want. Not a mashed potato fan, I asked if I could have just the fish because I did not want to waste the potatoes but was told in answer that I had to take fish and potatoes the way they served them. I reluctantly accepted what they offered.
The owner or manager came to our table a few minutes later to discuss our dinner order and was asked to sit for a moment, but refused and stood. The lady of our party was put off by his attitude because it seemed to her that he wanted to be standing in command and looking down upon us.
He turned to me just as a plate (actually, I would call it a bowl, though not a very large one) was placed in front of me. I did not recognize it as my fish dinner and asked aloud what it was and this seemed to put off the owner/manager who then walked off.
The potatoes were cubed and not mashed which was OK, but I did not know what the three brown strips were--each about two inches long and perhaps three-quarters of an inch wide. It turned out that was the fish and I realized why they would not serve the fish without the potatoes; it would look more of a small snack than a dinner.
The small cubes of potatoes were extremely hot and the fish was barely warm.
The service was slow, but I've experienced slower.
The cost was not high, but neither was the dining experience.
I appreciate that a restaurant will do things the way they want them done, but so will we by not returning.

1  Thank billylee1a
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

Went here for lunch and it was a really nice and pleasant atmosphere. Mothers with children and old ladies drinking champagne for lunch.

Reviewed 13 January 2017 via mobile

Originally designed rest with diverse menu and kind staff.
Must go place while visiting the city. Although it will be wise to verify with their performance schedule that the place is in dinning mode and not theatrical mode :)