“missed out but will return” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Chateau Clery

Hotel Chateau Clery
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hesdin-l'Abbe
Telford, United Kingdom
“missed out but will return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

After being stuck in French traffic due to snow & ice we were planning to arrive at this hotel for a nice Friday evening break after a short business trip to Luxembourg on route home. Unfortunately things did not turn out as planned & our 5 hour delay meant we arrived at half past mid-night instead of early evening as planned. We have never been so pleased to reach a hotel & pleased they were waiting for us & our reservation when we arrived as had visions of standing outside in the freezing weather trying to get attention. We were shown to our room by a young lady with perfect English. The room was well laid out & as we expected from the reviews. A decent size with everything needed & a lovely hot shower! We pretty much went straight to sleep & of course did not have chance to eat (good for the diet). Next morning was lovely to wake up to - with fresh snow on the grounds outside it was a lovely view. Breakfast was served in the conservatory which was nice presented & also great views of the gardens for breakfast. There was no hot food, but plenty of choice of other items non-the-less & even decaff coffee for my pregnant wife. Good service with a smile always helps. A pity we missed dining the evening before, but for sure will return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

I've now lost count of how many times I've returned here over the past few years and this hotel maintains the same excellent standard regadless of time of year and year after year.
The rooms range from small and pretty to large, traditional and luxurious.
The public rooms are just what one expects from a beautiful french chateau, the staff are charming, friendly, helpful and professional and the food is sublime - if you get a chance of the wild boar try it - it is exceptional! Wine by the glass is well chosen and complements the food perfectly, so no problems if you are a lone traveller or don't want the same wine as your dining partner.
I can't preise this hitel highly enough and I will continue to return whenever possible.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We were looking for somewhere nice to stay while in the Calais area for a spot of pre Christmas shopping. The hotel is actually located just outside Boulogne but took less than 30 mins to get to from the Euro Tunnel and well worth the journey.

We booked the cheapest room which for €85 was good value, the room was in the main chateau building and as you must expect for an old building was a bit creaky and lacked the hi tech touch, but this was easily offset with genuine features and character of the room complimented with modern bathroom facilities and a small flat screen TV. My only negative comment would be on the bed, which was very hard almost without any give and did give my back a few aches the next day.

The public areas of the hotel are amazing, the main staircase is stunning, as is the lounge and bar area, which remain authentic and although refurbished have lost none of the character that is so important to the experience of staying in a chateau.

We booked a table in the restaurant before we went and notified the hotel that my wife had a gluten allergy, we were delighted that this was both acknowledged at the time of booking and more importantly acted upon by the restaurant maitre d' who confirmed as we sat down they had been notified. The food was excellent and very good value for money as was the wine we chose. The chef had prepared a special gluten free pre starter for my wife and she was served with gluten free bread which made her day, it so rarely happens despite giving advanced warning, but really makes all the difference to her enjoyment of the meal as an important complement to the food and means she does not have to sit and watch me eat bread, so thank you very much.

Like the review by KatnPete, I have to agree had we not had the breakfast included in the special room rate, I would have been upset with what was offered for €16 per head. It wasn’t worth that. It was also disappointing that without the maitre d' there to oversee service, the same waitress who had served us the gluten free bread the night before seemed almost offended when we requested if there was any available for breakfast. She responded in French gesturing with her hand as if making a telephone call whilst saying something very quickly in French, which we assumed meant we should have called ahead to request it. This we had not done to be fair, but as we had highlighted the allergy to the hotel for our dinner reservation and breakfast was included in the room rate, it would have not taken too much to link the two and ensured there was some available the following morning. This is not a complaint in anyway, simply a recommendation to enhance the customer experience, although next time we will be sure to include it in our request.

Overall we really enjoyed the visit and would recommend anyone looking for a nice overnight stop in this area to consider staying here, it really is rather special. The building is fabulous and you really must make sure you eat in the restaurant in the evening to get the full experience.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Did I catch this place at a bad time? Having stayed with no problems at the sister property Chateau Tilques many times over the years, I paid extra for this place as a change. I hadn't had a break for a while so i also paid extra to upgrade to the best room.

My goodness what a shock. The appearance on approach is a bit run down and in need of paint. Let's call it 'character' and move on.

The room... if I'd been paying £30 per night B&B at Clacton-on-Sea it would have been acceptable. But for almost £500 for two nights it was dreadful. 'Yes, it's our best room' I was told.

And although it was cold on the Friday when I arrived, apparently the heating in the main house is only switched on for a few hours a day in November. I was offered the use of a fan heater. Honestly! I'm not making this up!

I sat on the bed and thought it through, then rang the booking agent (waste of time) and finally decided to leave. At this point I was offered a selection of tip-top and toasty warm rooms. Apparently the place wasn't full after all. In fact it was half empty. Quelle surprise!

Dinner that evening was good. Breakfast was eccentric. One is issued with a plate, knife, fork and spoon. For everything. For toast, say, one needs to clean the plate of scrambled egg as best one can, and the knife is presumably licked between courses? I did check in case I had missed something but it seems there's a shortage of plates and cutlery. Saves on the washing up I guess but if you're looking for anything more than the basics (even that cheap English B&B will give you a second knife!) then be prepared to make do or go elsewhere! That said - some of the reviews on this site indicate VERY cheap prices so don't pay the price you are quoted! I think they quote about 200 euros + per room. More clever people than me pay less than half that and get an upgrade too. At about 80 euros it's fine.

That said, the poor receptionist is clearly painfully embarrassed by the place and does her very best to cope. Without her I'd have walked out.
Incidentally, I've stayed at decent hotels for decades and never written a bad review before so bear that in mind, I'm not a serial complainer...

Room Tip: Complain! It appear that you will be given the worst rooms to fill up first, no matter how much you...