“Not cheap but worth it”

Bjargarsteinn mathus
Description: On Snaefellsnes peninsula, in the harbour area of Grundarfjördur town, stands a small house named Bjargarsteinn. The house was transported 140 kilometers from Akranes town to its current location, where it has a new role as a restaurant. Bjargarsteinn's menu caters to both local and international taste buds and will include seasonal dishes that are bound to be a delicious treat for all food connoisseurs.
Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

Took the family; there are maybe 3 restaurants in town and this is the only “sit-down-get-served’ place we found. We had the 3-course fish meal (aprox $50) which was delightful. Could probably split it among two people w/an appitizer. If you are tired of the pizza routine this is a nice ‘adult’ place.

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

My friends and I arrived in town by chance whilst on a week long adventure round Iceland; we were dressed a little scruffy and felt slightly embarrassed that we weren’t better attired for this lovely venue. The staff immediately greeted us and made us feel very welcome and the head chef and owner shook our hand and made space for us.

We were shown to effectively a private dining experience upstairs and had our own superb room and ante room for post dinner coffee. We had the 5 course taster menu and it was just amazing; tender lamb and a mid course sorbet to cleanse the palate.

The service was exemplary and we had the best meal of our entire trip to Iceland here. I can’t recommend enough and it was a true culinary world class experience.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

This restaurant has a nice dining room and terrific staff. The prices are high, as all of Iceland for US travelers, but the lamb tenderloin I had was fabulous and quite honestly, no higher price than what I would have paid for the same dish in San Francisco, USA. My husband had the 'fish 3 ways' dish and liked 2 of the selection, while he didn't 'love' the fresh catch of the day. Overall, it was a nice meal with a nice view. Give it a shot on a night you are flexible with your travel budget.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Unbelievable views in an adorable little restaurant. The staff was brilliant and took great care to make sure I got the gluten free meal I needed. I got a lamb soup that was delicious and beautifully presented. The fish dish was really good, especially the sweet potatoes with mango. Oh my.....

1  Thank SandraR2010
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

For most of the island, the reviews were overrated and we left disappointed but finally, FINALLY one was true to taste. The restaurant had a beautiful view and had such cute decor inside. Staff was extremely friendly and the food was beyond wonderful. Between us, we had the meat of the day (beef tenderloin and pork ribs), lamb filet and the three course fish meal. Had the sorbet and skyr mousse and the apple crumble for dessert. Our party was torn on which was better but both were scrumptious. The food was flavorful and the portions were generous. The price was correctly marked at $$$$ but compared to the meh food at high prices, this was completely worth it.