Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews loch altan two nights evening meal seafood chowder haddock tory island visited this hotel bit dated relaxing break night stay our room was spacious a lovely stay bar menu staff were excellent well worth a visit porridge steak
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 October 2021

It was with a tear in the eye that I returned to the Loch Altan in September. I've stayed in the hotel every year for the past 20, until Covid came along and we had to cancel the 2020 trip.
We all feared for the hospitality industry during Covid - it was devastating - but I'm happy ro say that the Loch Altan has survived! As soon as I walked through the doors, I got the same warm feeling - it was like coming home.
The entrance lobby has been given a lick of paint - not that it needed it - bit it feels very fresh.

The evening restaurant has just re-opened the day we arrived - we expected a few hiccups early on, but they weren't any. As usual they were so accommodating to our big and sometimes random group.
The bar menu is new. Over 3 weeks I worked my way through everything and can recommend it all - but especially the seafood chowder, the haddock and the steak.

This September was beautifully warm so I can't comment on things like central heating - but as usual there was plenty of hot water - an essential for watersports folk.
As usual I can't fault the place and will back next year

Date of stay: September 2021
Sean Mc Elwee, General Manager at Ostan Loch Altan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2021

Thank you, Peter, for your kind words as regards your recent stay with us here at Ostan Loch Altan, the friendliness of the staff, the quality of the food and the general level of comfort that we provided to you during your visit.
Yes, we availed of the closure during the pandemic to refurbish and to upgrade the foyer, the dining room, the heating and hot water systems and the exterior of the building.
As you know, we reserve a particular welcome and a more competitive accommodation rate for surfers.
Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 October 2021

Friendly, helpful and so pleased to return. The bedroom was very clean and comfortable, the food was plentiful and excellent, and the hotel has a lovely welcoming atmosphere. It is great location for windsurfing, and the hotels is particularly attentive, making us feel so much at home.

Room tip: all rooms comfortable
Date of stay: September 2021

I an very pleased that you you felt at home during your recent stay with us here at Ostan Loch Altan. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the welcoming atmosphere, the friendliness of the staff, the high quality of the food and the accommodation and the suitability of the hotel to explore this part of Donegal.
We look forward to having you back with us soon again.

Reviewed 16 October 2021

I stayed at Loch Altan for 2 weeks as part of a windsurfing course. I thought it was great. The room was clean and well-kept. The staff were very friendly and went the extra mile to help, (sorting out a room to help dry wetsuits). The food was excellent with a great atmosphere in the bar. Loch Altan is in a great location - really scenic. I'm looking forward to returning.

Date of stay: September 2021

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very grateful to you for posting such a positive review of visit during the windsurfing course with Peter Hart. We were very pleased to offer you a warm area where you could dry your wet suits during the night so that they were nice and dry for the following days surfing.
We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 22 September 2021

The staff are fantastic, great service from everyone throughout my stay

Rooms were basic but very much reflected in the price so no complaints there at all, great location

Is an excellent hotel for the price and would definitely recommend

Room tip: try to get away from main road if staying on a Friday night!
Date of stay: September 2021
Sean Mc Elwee, General Manager at Ostan Loch Altan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2021

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review of your stay with us here at Óstán Loch Altan. I am very pleased that the staff served you well and that you got good value for money.
We hope to meet with you soon again.

Seán Mc Elwee

Reviewed 30 August 2021 via mobile

A one night stay in Loch Altán hotel before a trip to Tory Island.
We had been advised in advance that they would be unable to provide evening meals and they did provide a list of places on arrival. However the two closest restaurants were booked out so I would advise anyone traveling here to book their evening meal in advance.

The hotel itself has a lovely bar, dining area (for breakfast only) and reception area.

The room was very small and a bit dated and we've definitely slept in more comfortable beds, but we were only here for one night and it was clean with piping hot water in the shower.

Covid protocols were adhered to which was reassuring.

But it's due to the staff here that it's impossible to give this hotel a bad review. They were all very nice, friendly and professional and were more than happy to converse with us in Irish.

Go raibh maith agaibh uilig.

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cearbhallan
Sean Mc Elwee, General Manager at Ostan Loch Altan, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2021

Thank you for posting such a positive and comprehensive review of your recent stay here at Óstán Loch Altan.
Tâimid thar a bheith buíoch díot agus súil agam tú a fheiceáil go luath arís.
Thank you again.