2,591 results
All reviews wildlife park hydrotherapy suite golf club hydro pool afternoon tea spa area cork city bar food main restaurant walk in shower spa treatments relaxation room deluxe room top class relaxing break family holiday from start to finish
Reviewed 28 August 2015

Lovely hotel but not as good as previous visits. The floors are getting noisier! Lots of children on Sunday and Monday, would visit again mid week. Excellent spa and bar food, give the restaurant a miss in the evening unless you like somewhere with no atmosphere! Great breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 48Priory
Reviewed 28 August 2015

Had an amazing stay at the hotel. The customer service was fantastic. Enjoyed the complimentary spa visit and breakfast was great too. The local wild life park is worth a visit too. Will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Clarelouisephillips
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2015

Thanks for staying with us and for posting your positive feedback.

It is great to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in our lovely resort. You're right, our surroundings are simply beautiful. I would like to thank you in particular for your kind words about our staff, because they put a lot of effort in their work. It is great to know that this effort is appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in the future.

Best regards,

Brendan Comerford
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 27 August 2015 via mobile

I was working late yay night and arrive to the hotel to check in at 21:15 and guess what, there was nobody in reception!! This is a five star hotel we are talking about!! After 10 minutes a member of stuff walks passed me without even looking at me and goes to a side door!! Five minutes later she comes back and still no 'hello can I help?' I felt like an idiot!! As she went past me I politely asked if there was anyone in reception only to be told in a very patronising and snotty fashion "clearly not sit, are you here to check in??" My face must have said it all!! "Ok I'll get someone for you!!" And off she goes again...
TEN MINUTES LATER someone even snottier came over and sat at one of the reception tables, no acknowledgment either, I approached the 'bench' and asked if I could check in, one to be told to wait as she was finished for the day and someone would be along soon... Please go and sit down and wait to be called!!
Unfortunately the hotel is too far from anywhere else so I could not find alternative accommodation so I insisted and EVENTUALLY was given a disabled room. Quick trip downstairs to argue the toss out of a snotty receptionist to get a normal room which I had booked in the first place!!!
At that point the restaurant was closed and I had to call room service, which was a horrible overburned burger with a sea of French fries!!! I gladly left the day after and will never go back there!!!

Horrible, just horrible!!!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
10  Thank Marco R
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2015

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. Our reception desk is manned by our Guest Service Agents 24 hours a day; I am surprised to hear of the poor customer care and lack of attention that you have relayed.
I would very much like to discuss this in more detail directly with you. I would appreciate if you could contact me via email or on phone.

Brendan Comerford
Hotel Manager

Email: BComerford@fotaisland.ie
Phone: +353 (0)21 488 3713

Reviewed 27 August 2015

Stayed Aug 25th 2015. Hotel build in 2007n and bought by a Chinese Family two years ago. Certainly you can notice a personal touch to the gardens around the Hotel and inside. Adjacent to Fota Wildlife Park and Cobh. Great for the kids. A truly, most enjoyable experience. Rooms were fab. Staff were alert, observant, kind and mannerly. Kids loved the pool. Parents loved the ambiance of the hotel and grounds. The Fota Restaurant was top class. Maître d’restaurant was Edward Burke from Surrey, he will show up for sure in bigger places. Real professional in his work, real nice fellow, calm and chatty . Nice to his staff while you could observe that they respected his position and direction as well, so no nonsense at all. A master class act. Edward and the lovely and mannerly staff made the meal there a most enjoyable and memorable experience. The food was top notch as well. Unfortunately the kids did not get to meet the GREAT-GREAT Roy Keane who was in the building on the same night – but you can’t have it all I guess. Definitely return there again next year. All that you would expect from a 5* and more - Fabulous stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and have a natural wood land aspect
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank MooseFleming

Thank you for your review of Fota Island Resort, I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dinner with us.

I am very happy that the staff has been so attentive and professional as we are constantly trying to perfect the experience for our guests.
I am happy to hear that your children enjoyed themselves at our family-friendly facilities as well.

I hope that you will visit us again sometime soon, we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Warm regards,
Brendan Comerford,
Hotel Manger

Reviewed 27 August 2015

So we stayed in the lodges, which in essence is a small housing estate in the grounds of the hotel. We had a 2-bedroom house. It was really well finished and to a high standard. Beds were lovely and comfortable and bathrooms were nice too. The kitchen was very nice, but could do with some simple things, some cleaning utensils would have helped a lot. We had to request glasses and have the fridge cleaned when we arrived, as it was very smelly. To be honest there is a man and lady looking after the housing estate and when I pointed out the fridge she just came straight in and cleaned it all out within minutes. Anytime during the week we needed something we just asked and they sorted us out straight away, they need to be commended as they have a tough and busy job. Straight outside the backdoor was a lovely seating area and you could walk into the small bits of forest dotted around the kid loved that. The island itself is quite big so you get a nice sense of space and freedom when walking around. The grounds are really well kept and lots of amazing plants and flowers. Nice big playground near the houses too which helped use up loads of time with my daughter. We went swimming everyday in the hotel and the facilities are very nice, great changing rooms and showers etc. You are limited to two sessions a day that you can bring kids, so it gets a bit crowded but just about manageable. Each evening I got out for a swim and sauna around 8pm to 9pm it all closes at 9pm. It was great as the pool etc. were all virtually empty. We had lunch in the bar, which was fantastic, some very interesting dishes; one that stands out was salted beef and green beans, really great. There was a lot of staff around serving and waiting tables. Really looked after our daughter with games and colouring pens and books, which really helped us having lunch. It's a great location for getting into cork city, literally 10 mins away but you still feel very remote in the resort itself, which is great. We got down to Kinsale and Cobh which are only short drives away. Now Fota Island is famed for its safari park. What a let down to be honest. We have a Dublin zoo pass so I didn't have to pay the 40 odd quid family entry but still felt like it wasn't worth a visit. There is so much construction going on. You feel like you’re on a building site. The animal enclosures don't seem well kitted out for the animals. It's not all bad it was nice to see some birds and wallabies out in the open just going about. Maybe I’m comparing against Dublin zoo and in its own right its ok. We had planned going multiple times while there based on the website etc but just visited once for a few hours and left. All in all the resort is fantastic and really worth a visit as a family. It was beautiful walking around the resort and gardens and exploring it all with the nipper.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review of Fota Island Resort!

I am happy to hear that your trip to Fota Island with your family has been such an enjoyment. I am especially happy about your feedback on our staff both at the lodges and in the hotel. They are the most important contributors to our guests' well-being.

Warm regards,