“Very cute hotel away from the craziness of the casinos”

Pousada de Coloane Beach Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 2 April 2017

I live in Hong Kong, so frequent Macau a bit to see shows and get a break (I am not a casino person at all). Normally stay at the Sheraton in Cotai but this trip was with my parents, and I knew they wouldn't want to be on the casino strip.
This hotel came up on Trip Advisor and looked very cute - which it is. Quaint rooms with twin beds, all amenities and gorgeous balconies overlooking the beach. We only ate breakfast here which was fine, nothing to write home about, but also not bad. The staff are very friendly and accommodating, plus they have a van you can use (hire / pay a driver) to take you where you want to go. Very quiet and peaceful stay with great views away from the hustle of the casino part of Macau. Only criticism - the bathroom in the room my parents stayed in had weird plumbing and kept flooding the floor - looks like it hasn't been renovated to the same extent my room was. Their room was Room 102 so avoid that one!

Room Tip: Level 2 I think would be better than level one, my parents struggled a bit with all the stairs to ge...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Juliette S
Pousada C, General Manager at Pousada de Coloane Beach Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

Dear Ms Juliette,

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your family getaway.
We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed our warm sincere hospitality. My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again for more fun as soon as you can
I have the pleasure to inform you in first hand that we are currently renovating our rooms, including 102. By the middle of the month May 2017 you wont have to care in which room are you staying.

we hope to see you soon.

best regards
Vera Fernandes
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 25 March 2017

Have stayed here several times over the last 7 years, but this time was definitely the worst. When we opened the room we wondered why the aircon was set to a very chilly 18 degrees celsius. Turned it off and went out for the evening, but when we came back we realised why it had been set so low - to hide the smell of cigarette smoke. This was supposed to be a non-smoking room but the smell was overpowering.

I read in another review that the American breakfast had been served cold so I played it safe by ordering the continental breakfast. This was a disappointing experience - the piece of brown lettuce spoke volumes about the lack of care and cost-cutting that now characterises the place. Service was also poor.

Yes, this is still a charming location and a haven of peace, but the owners and operators need to pay a lot more attention to detail. It's sad to see the Pousada in decline.

Next time, I'll make it a day trip.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr Andrew S,

Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us.

I understand your disappointment.
Our rooms are 24 hours under air con to keep the facilities with no mold or humidity as it was many years ago. The fact that we are 40 years old building facing the beach brings us some environmental challenges that we try to overcome to ensure a better experience to our guests. Your concerns have been reported to HSKP and F&B departments and we have already take action. Improvements are being made and Pousada will not disappoint you on your next stay or visit.

Please be free to ask for me so i can personally apologize and make sure your experience is overwhelmed.

We hope to see you soon and we thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Vera Fernandes
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 11 March 2017

When we were looking for a quiet place near to the sea in Macao we found the Pousada de Coloane. I wished we could have stayed there longer. The place was so beautiful and relaxing! But if you want to have a big, modern, luxury-style hotel near to the casinos, this might not be your choice.
As this little hotel is located in a secluded area in the southern part of Taipa island, getting there from the ferry terminal was a bit adventurous - the taxi driver first confounded it with another place...
We had the standard room with two single beds. It was quite small, but beautifully decorated in Portuguese colonial style. The bathroom was spacious and the small balcony had a nice view on a little bay and the sea.
Unfortunately there were no chairs on the balcony. So instead we enjoyed the view from the big terrace on top of the hotel, where we had dinner and lunch. The Portuguese food was delicious! They also serve Portuguese wine at quite reasonable prices. The choice at the breakfast buffet was not very large, but offered enough for us.
The hotel one day organised a car for us to get to the old town of Macao, which is really beautiful (and really crowded). We took the bus to get back to the Pousada de Coloane - the stop is just some steps further up the hill.
Staff was very friendly, especially the Portuguese manager, who was really helpful. She often stopped by the tables to make sure guests were happy while we were at the restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Pousada C, General Manager at Pousada de Coloane Beach Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2017

Dear Guest,

Pousada Staff and myself have no words to than you your kind words and description of our hotel. We are truly the hotel to get away from the Macau full of casinos and foot traffic. We are the place to rest and en joy our amazing view. We are very happy that we have created an amazing memory during your stay. We hope to see you soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 6 March 2017

Love the hotel so much when I first stepped in! It's right behind the beach which is off the main road but you can still hear cars driving thru sometime. There's a pool, reception and restaurant at the same floor.

Our room is so spacious with a queen size bed! And a huge jacuzzi in the bathroom which can fit two people no doubt! Jacuzzi was nice just the water wasn't hot hot, or may be just me who prefer hot hot water.

Balcony looking directly to the beach which is so beautiful! I saw people swimming and kayaking in the morning, so chill!!! Wish I could stay there for longer!!!

It was a very quiet hotel with really nice view, about 20mins bus ride from the hotel to Taipa town (Rua do Cunha)which got lots of nice restaurants and market there. Also about 20mins to Casino like Venetian, Studio City and Galaxy.

We went to this hotel restaurant for breakfast which was included with the stay. There were Continental / American Breakfast to choose from. We both other different one, breakfast were just ok.. I wouldn't pay that much to have their breakfast if it didn't come for free with the stay.

It's only 1km far from another famous beach (Praia de Hac Sá ), there's a very nice Portuguese restaurant! we went there for dinner till like 9p.m and took a bus back to the hotel. That's very nice experience!

Bus 25 / 26A and two more buses will pass thru the hotel and Taipa town.

Room Tip: Room with balcony with sea view will enhance your experience of staying there.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay and comments. Your review is valuable for us we will look into the breakfast since the set american or continental is supposed to totally satisfy our guests.
We will review.

Best regards

Reviewed 22 February 2017

Friends and I thought we would try this restaurant as we were looking for somewhere new, also with a nice outdoor feel. We found what we were looking for! This is a lovely, romantic rooftop dining with views over the bay. There are lots of sun umbrellas in case it gets a bit hot. Don't let the online menu put you off, as it almost turned me away, as it looks very limited. The online menu only shows a few items. BUT the menu has a vast array of choices. We ordered a few dishes to share between us and every dish WAS AMAZING! delicious! The price was good tooo. The wait staff were lovely and very friendly and attentive. Jay you are such as friendly helpful guy - thankyou . The female waitress was also lovely, sorry I missed your name. We will be back, and will be telling our friends.
Well done to staff and NEW management.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of our restaurant.
We have been through a process of renewing our menu and it looks that its working. I will make sure your comments are pass to our server Jay and all the other girls since you don't remember the name.

Thank you so much for the hint on the online menu, we will look into an update.

best regards
and hope to see you very soon.