“An oldie bit a goodie”

Ranked #245 of 955 Restaurants in Macau
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 28 October 2016

I had last been here in 1979, and was surprised to see the same maitre d' welcome me to the restaurant. It is a smallish place, but the food is of a very high quality. The greeting was very pleasant, and we were shown to our table by a very polite, and attentive waitress who was excellent throughout our entire experience here. The food was very good quality, and the flavours were superb. We had two of the famous dishes from here in the African Chicken, and the Curry Crab. The chicken is a very tasty dish with a blend of spices that makes it very tasty, but is not overly hot and so the flavours can be enjoyed. The crab was excellent, and the flavours were not overpowering so the crab meat could still be tasted. We also had lamb ribs, which were cooked so that they were still juicy and with a slight dusting of salt and pepper to allow the flavour to remain as the main aspect, truly lovely. To finish we had the famous souffle, which may look enormous, but is so light and airy that despite being given a generous amount, it leaves you wanting more. This is not the cheapest place in Macau, but has been around for over 100 years, and has been in the same families hands all that time, so it must be doing something right. I can honestly say that I enjoyed my trip back in time, and would happily return here for another meal, due to the high quality, and flavour of the food served.

1  Thank bigfsadventures

Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

We ordered three dishes : the famous roast pigeon, vegetables with cod fish and grilled king prawns. The prawns were great, nicely cooked, juicy and tasty. The roast pigeon is nice too though I thought the meat was too dry. The vegetable dish was a disappointment as we found it too salty. We later learnt that this was because salted cod fish was used.

Service was awesome and the elderly waiters were very lively and attentive. Some of them are old enough to be great grandfathers!

Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

Very polite staff excellent food will come back again.

They also speak well English so was easy to order and gave us the recommended and most popular.

Thank you.

1  Thank Morty M
Reviewed 1 May 2016

Both my husband and I had dined here with our parents when we were in our teens while living in Hong Kong 40 yrs ago. We went to the original restaurant but we cannot remember if it's the same location.
We came for lunch, quiet about 3 tables on the main floor, good ambiance. We ordered the stuffed roasted chicken and oxtail stew. Both were done well. The waitstaff was friendly, pleasant and always had a smile. That's what I would call good customer service.
This trip we stayed on the Taipa side,next time when we stay on the Macau city side, we would come again to this lovely little gem!

Reviewed 27 April 2016

This restaurant has a very good ambience. The service of the staff was very good. But above all, we like the food the most, especially the Portuguese Fried Rice and Roast Chicken.

1  Thank LilianChee