After googleling the most romantic places in Australia to propose, my now fiancé Dave decided on the newly refurbished Orpheus Island Resort as where to take me for an amazing weekend away with a surprise that only Dave and the Orpheus staff knew about.
After landing at Townsville airport and not knowing our destination I was thrilled to take the helicopter and land on the most beautiful island I had ever seen. We were warmly welcomed by the staff and other guests. We took the dingy to the pontoon on the other side of Orpheus and had a lovely picnic.
That night Dave had planned and organised with the staff for us to have dinner on the pier with only the torches and moonlight. It was beautiful and that was where the moment happened We were lucky enough to be there the same weekend as Cheong Liew the chef so the food was magnificent (as im sure it is whoever the chef is).
The rest of the weekend we enjoyed the infinity pool and exploring the island and we ate and drank like a king and queen. It was so relaxing and we had everything we needed and had the freedom of dining where we chose. We even got to witness a tropical thunder storm which Dave thoroughly enjoyed!
We would highly recommend a stay at Orpheus island. The staff go above and beyond to meet your every need and were great at organising with Dave his proposal. It definitely is paradise and will always have a special place in our hearts and we want to say a huge thank you to everyone at Orpheus for their hard work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Orpheus is very much a secret to the outside world, a rare island hideaway of exceptional beauty!Located just 80km north of Townsville, amidst the magical waters of the Great Barrier Reef, the island stretches across 11km of immaculate turquoise coastline, and comprises of a pristine National Park and surrounding World Heritage-listed Marine Park. Access is either via a 25 minute helicopter journey from Townsville, or an hour journey from Cairns. The newly renovated lodge accommodates just 34 indulged guests at any one time, ensuring absolute seclusion and serenity! Offering the ultimate romantic escape, a luxurious family getaway, unique outdoorsy experiences, or booked in its entirety for exclusive use, Orpheus is emerging as the ‘new’ undiscovered tropical destination on Australia’s doorstep. Orpheus boasts a plethora of once in a lifetime experiences! Its principal dive sites boast 1,100 of the 1,500 species of fish on the reef; the local waters are a fisherman's playground and home to the most sought after reef and game fish species in the world; and guests can take the helm of a dingy and discover the many pristine coves and reefs that fringe Orpheus. Alternatively, Orpheus provides the perfect backdrop for a more private interlude if guests wish to simply shut off from the outside world and succumb to the pleasure of a unique aboriginal-inspired massage. Accommodation rates are inclusive of all gourmet meals, celebrating a bounty of locally-sourced, wholesome and freshly caught and grown seasonal delights, a selection of regional wines and beers, a daily nature-based experience, and the island’s signature ‘Dining with the Tides’ experience which allows guests to enjoy an intimate dinner for two under a starlit canopy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Agoda, TravelUp, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your Orpheus Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Orpheus Island Hotel Orpheus Island
- Orpheus Island Resort All Inclusive