“Wonderful location overlooking the beach and river”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boca de Tomatlan
Casa de los Artistas
Reviewed 2 March 2017

I attended a watercolor workshop here and while I did not stay at the Casa itself, I ate and took classes there. Bob Masla, who has been running winter workshops here for almost a decade, is obviously at home here, and is infectious in his enthusiasm for Boca and its people. To access the Casa means a trip across one of two pedestrian bridges (one a wooden swinging one) or fording the stream, which is quite low in winter, but it somewhat adds to the sense of adventure. Be of sure footing, however, since the paths are also uneven though not extraordinarily challenging. Bob has his winter classes taught by world class artists from Dec-March. The studio is terrific - on the top floor of his house which is open on three sides. If you are artistically inclined or just curious, take a look at his offerings. The prices include almost all meals, lodging and instruction and are quite reasonable. I enjoyed my stay, learned a lot, and was glad to get away from a North American winter, regardless of how warm it was this year! Take a look.

Room Tip: The three rooms at the Casa all have balconies overlooking the river
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 February 2017

I attended a watercolor workshop for a week at la Casa de los Artistas. Everything, the instruction, the lodging, the village, the meals, the participants, the excursions, exceeded my highest expectations. Yes, there is noise at night and uneven walking surfaces, but it's an incredibly safe, friendly environment and Bob Masla, the owner, organizer, and artist, puts his heart and soul into making this a high quality experience. I hope to have the good fortune to return next year.

Room Tip: either in la Casa or one of the adjacent BnBs
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2017

I am reviewing this location as the attendee of a retreat that was hosted in the Casa de los Artistas. Although I did not physically "sleep" in the Casa, I took all of my meals and art lessons there. My little casita was just a short walk away. While attending this art retreat, I enjoyed the beautiful home of Robert Masla and Monica Levine who lovingly hosted 23 artists and instructor. We were treated to incredible meals and lavished with their kind hospitality. The setting was stunning and to be able to paint in an open air studio overlooking the beach and quaint fishing village of Boca de Tomatlan was a dream come true for me! In the spirit of full disclosure, I think it is only fair to point out that visitors have to navigate either a quick walk through the river, or a path through the jungle along the river that is unfortunately in some spots littered with animals, animal feces, and a few unsavory smells and sights. This IN NO WAY has anything to do with the Casa and it is not in their control, but visitors do need to be aware that this is a venue in a remote and poor village so there will be cultural differences. The only other thing to be aware of is that at times the village can be quite noisy at all hours of the day and night, but again, it is part of the allure of bing in a unique and remote location. My suggestion is to embrace it and make it a part of your experience!

Room Tip: Any room in the Casa is a good choice.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Lorraine B
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

I work too many hours and Monday is my day off. I love yo bring my dogs to boca. It is a small beach. My dogs are safe and free to run. I try a new resto weekly and each one gas been good. There are only a handful of them. More water taxis than restos. Love the place

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank sylviakimleslie
Reviewed 22 July 2016

I read all the glowing reviews and couldn't wait to experience the Casa, but my experience and my fellow travelers experience fell far short of the previously posted reviews. There are only two guest bedrooms in the Casa. If you aren't lucky to get one of those you have to walk a dirt, rocky path that is strewn with trash, dog feces, and the smell of urine to get back to your room. With the condition of the trail and the conditions on the trail, tennis shoes or closed toed shoes are a must. That kind of trail isn't "quaint". I wish someone had mentioned the tranquility of the day and night were ruined by loud, thumping music playing in the village all day until 2 or 3am. When the music stopped then you could hear the barking of the numerous loose dogs running all over the island. Earplugs or white music app is a must if you want to sleep. The guest artist was fantastic. The food was good and plentiful. As an ending note, I polled everyone in the workshop and although all had been to previous art workshops, no one said they would return to this one.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank LR1905

Been to Casa de los Artistas? Share your experiences!