All reviews boat trip plein air painting workshop recently spent a week secluded beach the river puerto vallarta botanical gardens monica masla watercolor participants paintings picnic retreat instructor hosts
Reviewed 22 July 2016

I read all the glowing reviews and couldn't wait to experience the Casa, but my experience and my fellow travelers experience fell far short of the previously posted reviews. There are only two guest bedrooms in the Casa. If you aren't lucky to get one of those you have to walk a dirt, rocky path that is strewn with trash, dog feces, and the smell of urine to get back to your room. With the condition of the trail and the conditions on the trail, tennis shoes or closed toed shoes are a must. That kind of trail isn't "quaint". I wish someone had mentioned the tranquility of the day and night were ruined by loud, thumping music playing in the village all day until 2 or 3am. When the music stopped then you could hear the barking of the numerous loose dogs running all over the island. Earplugs or white music app is a must if you want to sleep. The guest artist was fantastic. The food was good and plentiful. As an ending note, I polled everyone in the workshop and although all had been to previous art workshops, no one said they would return to this one.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank LR1905
Reviewed 13 March 2015

Bob and Monica create a warm and welcoming space to learn, connect and relax. They provide everything you need to nourish and grow. I highly recommend a trip to La Casa to experience the beauty of La Boca!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Elliott K
Reviewed 18 February 2015

I recently spent a week as Casa de Los Artistas for a week of watercolor classes with Tom Lynch....I knew that the instruction would be great as i had taken a workshop with Tom in Spring 2014. But what I got in Boca was so much more.....Bob Masla has created a unique place for artists to retreat and learn with other artists/teachers. Bob is not only the host but also an artist and his insight was certainly invaluable. His passion was not just the art but for Boca de Tomatlan and the surrounding areas....we all felt the love.

I stayed a a sister hotel for my room but mornings through evenings were spent at the Casa for meals, art and comraderie. A special shout out to Ruby and her staff -- they prepared terrific meals for us - fresh and flavorful.

I highly recommend the Casa for an art escape and adventure.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Pat P
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Casa de Los Artistas utterly transcended any expectations. We felt immersed in the environment and at the same time totally taken care of. The food was amazing and the area lovely. Best vacation ever.

Room Tip: All the rooms have airy balconies. There can be noise from the town, though.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry L
Reviewed 16 July 2013

It was my big birthday - marking the end of a decade and the start of another. I wanted something really special, and my stay at La Casa de Los Artistas made it so. I attended a watercolor workshop with Sterling Edwards in February 2013. Everything was wonderful: first class tuition, wonderful organic food, first rate accommodation at the nearby Pacifica and Bob Masla and his team made us feel like honored guests. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The outings were well planned and great fun - one to visit the town of Puerto Vallarta, one boat rip to Los Arcos, another to a beautiful mountain village and a picnic to a secluded cove. The local people were friendly and helpful - one of them rescued me when my kayak got stuck on a sand bank. I shall return for another week of relaxation, culture, camaraderie and fun. A rare combination, but I found them here. Bob you can be rightly proud of what you have achieved at La Casa.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo