See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 January 2016

My family and I stayed in the 'Nelly' apartment and it was a spectacular holiday. We're Americans living in the Netherlands and feel we were treated very well by the owner who happened to live right next to our apartment. We never had any issue- and I'm frankly shocked that some reviewers had issues with him. Maybe because it was the end of the season? Anyhow, my three young boys loved the pool- and we really enjoyed the location. The entry and rooms themselves are fabulously decorated- and other than it being blisteringly hot (it was an uncommonly hot summer last year) that was the only issue and wasn't the owner's fault.

Additionally the view out of the side window and sitting room was stunning- the clock tower was so nice to wake up to each morning. The best part of the entire trip is the family winery restaurant just up the hill (Sarsasso) which you MUST do. Overall, I would happily recommend this place to friends and family.

Room tip: Nelly was fantastic with a large sitting room in the front.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Farrah R
Reviewed 10 September 2015

Domaso is a good spot on Lake Como as you can easily enjoy a stroll out to local amenities as oppose to a hill side location. I do think there are better places to stay in Domaso though than Villa Annamaria. At first blush it is an impressive Villa with a nice pool area however the 2 bedroom apartment we stayed in really only slept 3 and was damp and musty. You also sacrifice a view and although the setting is lovely in itself waking up to a view of Lake Como every day is most definitely worth it. The owner of this apartment came across well when we first met him but it soon became clear he rules with a very tight reign when it comes to how he views you will act whilst staying in 'his' home! I did not feel at home at all and although he provides a pleasant pool area and bbq area, I did not feel I could really enjoy these. For example I was on holiday with my husband and 7 year old son when my brother who was teaching English to local kids, in a town some miles away came to visit, he was sat around the pool with us enjoying a catch up when I was asked 'who is this, no guests he must leave'. We were all treated very rudely and it really did spoil the whole atmosphere of our stay. Other guests did confirm that they found him rude as well. I'm afraid if you book here you really won't be able to relax and there are much nicer places to stay as we found during our trip.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank patsyd725
Reviewed 3 September 2015 via mobile

Rules are rules here.

1, Don't eat by the pool or imbibe of a nice glass of wine or beer. Certainly don't invite a guest to join you for a meal for an hour or so.

2, Don't try and engage the owner of this place with a fair discussion on rules without Iran being brought into the discussion.

3, Don't expect the owner to care about Tripadvisor. His words.

4, Do expect him to brag that he doesn't need your custom instead of being helpful and accommodating.

5, Do also expect him to tell you of his gross turnover amongst this and other accommodation he owns.

Stick by these and you'll enjoy your time here.

A Manc.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Rob D
Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

If you are looking for an Italian Basil Fawlty, look no further than the proprietor of Villa Annamaria. He is an amusing figure, up to a point. He has a lovely property, no doubt: a high-ceilinged, spacious apartment in a 1697 villa with a somewhat incongruous - but welcome, for the children at least - pool in the front courtyard. You are steps away from the lake and some so-so restaurants and shops that cater for the likes of us, a gentle English family looking for rest. You are very close to Switzerland and Germany. Most visitors seem to come from there and the locals presume you are until you look blank at their German greeting.

Basil lives on the top floor. Basil is keen to emphasise Rules. This emphasis by an Italian comes as a bit of a surprise after more liberal greetings on visits in the south. There are sufficient number to be posted on a sheet that looks like a set of Byelaws. First, is no 'unregistered visitors'. The second, is 'no glasses by the pool'. Not that Basil provides plastic glasses so that means no drinking by the pool. Fair enough, Basil. As our German neighbours acknowledged cryptically "Perhaps there are Rules". What was not fair, Basil, was the intimidating and irascible approach to enforcement. So it was when we witnessed Basil's heavy-handed treatment of our other neighbours from Manchester. They were settling in on their first day by the pool. Drinks in hand. Boy playing happily with my two. Their brother - living in Italy - cycled over from a fairly distant town to say hello. Cue Klaxon and the arrival of Basil. "Who is that gentleman?" "Why do you have glasses by the pool?" "Yes, there are rules...we are not in Iran, but there are rules." "You want to leave? Can you get out by 7 pm?" Yes, they could, and they did.

Our own trouble with Basil was minor in comparison. The key broke in the lock on our way to dinner. It's a stiff lock and the key a feeble Yale one. The fob simply twisted off in my hand. We left an apologetic message on his phone. He was at the theatre in Milan. There was no sympathy for our locked-out plight or suggestion that anything could be done until he came back some time in the early hours. He did not conceal his irritation. As it happened, the second key on the ring was for the back door. I got the distinct feeling that instead of simply telling us this straight away he let us stew for a bit as punishment for breaking his key and disturbing him. That feeling confirmed when the Mancunians disclosed that he declined to give them a second key because "You English don't know how to look after keys."

Nor did Basil have the courtesy to bid us good-bye on checking out. We were up and out by 9.30 am sharp in strict accordance with the Byelaws. But Basil was nowhere to be seen. After a fruitless search to return the precious keys we phoned to discover he had left for a family jolly.

As I say, amusing stuff up to a point. But tired travellers could easily snap. The Mancunians did.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank William C
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Four of us stayed 2 nights in the 6 bed apartment, which had a lovely terrace overlooking the pool. The owners were marvellous and everything went well. The whole apartment is well equipped. If you are looking for an unique apartment, which is value for money on lake como this is the place. Very good location for touring and taking boat trips. Domaso has what you need but is a small place so bare that in mind.
My only criticism about the apartment was that the bed felt damp the first night like it needed airing. However the apartment looks exactly like it does in the photographs.

Date of stay: June 2013