1,045 results
All reviews ashford castle lough corrib wilde's restaurant quay bar duplex suite quay suite gas fire horse riding underfloor heating wedding guests cong village beautiful grounds afternoon tea lounge area quiet man top class little touches
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights after a night at Ashford Castle which makes it difficult to compare and contrast.
Very nice staff and food was excellent.
However little things need improved...use if guests names would be nice and TWENTY minutes for a pot of tea at breakfast albeit which was busy us not good enough.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PeterF5088, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am pleased to hear that the staff were nice and that the food was excellent.

I appreciate your feedback in relation to the breakfast and I will be sure to raise this point with the team to allow us to improve.

I hope to welcome you back to the Lodge at Ashford Castle in the near future.

Kind regards,

Peter Fergus,

Reviewed 15 September 2018

Myself and my wife stayed here when visiting Co Mayo. We both had a wonderful time at the Lodge at Ashford Castle. The room was very clean and comfortable, we both had a great nights rest. The staff were very friendly and accomodating, we would certainly recommend this hotel to our family and friends.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am pleased to hear that the staff were friendly and accommodating and that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope you will return to us again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Peter Fergus,

Reviewed 10 September 2018

We booked a table for 4 to celebrate a special birthday. Having contacted the hotel a week in advance to book our table, we were offered a sitting in the Wilde Restaurant. Having got slightly delayed we arrived at the hotel 15 minutes late to be greeted by a terribly arrogant individual in the restaurant who went out of his way to outline that we were very very late and that we needed to order urgently due to the fact that the kitchen had stopped serving...one would have to wonder why we were offered a sitting in the restaurant at the exact time the kitchen was closing as we would have been under pressure to order even if we had been 15 minutes early.. .....there was no mention whatsoever by the lady who took our initial booking that such was the case and such deadlines were in place. We obviously annoyed the restaurant hierarchy so much to the point that our waiter appeared unfriendly and unwelcoming during the serving and definitely displayed a level of stiff upper lip that is totally unacceptable for fee paying guests-. Following our rushed meal, we decided to relocate downstairs. We ordered coffee with ''a few snacks'' expecting some accompanying biscuits or snack bars. The coffee arrived promptly, however there was a long wait for the snacks which amounted to 2 servings of a mix of peanuts, cheese bread and olives. Our waiter on this occasion proceeded to spill one of the 2 servings all over the floor. He returned with a sweeping brush and cleaned before him while making light of the situation... that was the last we saw of him - no replacement of the order. Needless to say this staff mishap was not reflected on our bill which added further to our disappointment. We are well traveled and have dined and stayed in many fine hotel establishments over the years In our opinion,this hotel is extremely overrated and overpriced for the level of service provided. We recommend Lough Rynn or Kilronan Castle for finer dining experiences.

1  Thank dearbhla2016
PeterF5088, Hotel Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear Dearbhla

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.
I am extremely disappointed to read your review of your dining experience with us here at the Lodge.
Please accept my sincerest apologies,we pride ourselves on delivering warm, friendly and attentive service and clearly we did not deliver on this occasion.

I will personally ensure that your feedback is shared with the team and that we review our standards and training on welcoming our guests and making them feel at home, which is a keystone of our service delivery.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly in relation to your experience.
Please find my email address below and I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

The menu has a number of carnation logos next to certain food and wine, this denotes wine made by one of Talbot’s vineyards and her own recipe.

The risotto was a disaster, so not order it. It’s not arborio rice and at 18€ it should be a memorable dish, two fork fills and the other half was done and pushed it away.

My fish and chips we ok, but only ok, at 18€ it should have been the best fish and chips if my life, because it was the most expensive. The fish itself was good, but it was small and the batter soggy in places. Chips ok.

The wine at 12.50€ a glass for Sauvignon blanc served in a mass catering glass, no style or elegance. Normal wine, should have been 7-8€.
Doors open kept it nice and cold on a classic west ireland rainy day.

Service however was very good.

Scones were excellent

Mrs talbot, get and eat the food you serve in your own restaurant and you’ll be disappointed I promise.

2  Thank 81kenr

r Ken R

Thank you very much for your review on tripadvisor

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation with the food we served.
You are correct that the Carnation logo notes the dishes which are Mrs Tollman's own recipe and we are very proud to offer these dishes on our menus.
I have shared your comments with our Executive Head Chef to ensure our execution of the dish is reviewed and delivered correctly moving forward.
He has confirmed that it is arborio rice that was used, however we are sorry that you were not happy with the dish served to you.

I am pleased to read you found service to be very good, however I would have loved to have taken the opportunity to replace the dish for you on the day as I am sure we could have resolved the issue for you straight away.

We do believe we offer value for money as a hotel and product, we purchase the best possible ingredients and products available to us as a hotel and strive to create a memorable experience at every opportunity.
Unfortunately we did not get it right on this occasion and I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the shortfall on our food quality.

I would be more than happy to speak to you directly about your experience.
please find my direct email address below if you wish to contact me directly.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

When you arrive it seems fantastic until you get in and sit down. Absolutely freezing holes in the doors etc. The best experience was the staff were lovely Tasteless risotto I sent it back, dirty glass with food all over it. Prices were through the roof for the quality of the food. For American tourists looking to see a country castle and nothing more.

Dear Kim W

Thank you very much for your review.

I am disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectation on your most recent visit with us.
I do apologise that we did not keep the doors closed during your meal and that we did not notice or react to your discomfort.

The risotto is one of our most popular dishes and I have brought your feedback to our executive head chefs attention to ensure we produce this specialty at its usual high standard.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly about your experience.
please find my direct email address below to make contact.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback.

Kind regards.