“It really is paradise”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 October 2006

The EDR really is just amazing. The flight from the UK is 10 hours and I was a little weary when we arrived in Mexico, I just wanted to get to the hotel and chill out. As soon as we arrived at the hotel there were bell boys who would not let us touch our suit cases as they were dealing with them and wanted us to check in. You walk into the lobby of the hotel and it takes your breath away, the fountain looks as gorgeous in real life as it does in the photos (and you get a glass of champagne). The check in was very efficient and the lady behind the desk explained everything to us and gave us a map.
Then it was back outside to get a bell boy to give us a tour of the resort in one of the buggies on the way to our room. He was kind enough to stop off at the bar so we could get a beer on the way. He bought our bags up the stairs and put them in the room for us while we took in the room. They really are as nice as in the photos, very spacious. Our maid Trinidad did an excellent job of keeping the room tidy and the towel art that she left was amazing,
We had an ocean view room room, in block 5, room 517. We thought this was a really good location. It was near enough to everything for walking but far enough away not for it to get noisey. We had breakfast everyday at the Cocotal, and had the buffet everyday. The range available was excellent and the food was always gorgeous. Mr Ananias the waiter always had a smile on his face and kept your juice or coffee full.
The weather during the first week of our stay was a little disapointing, it rained quite heavily a few times, but it is the rainy season so what can you expect. The second week was blisteringly hot and without the breeze it would have been unbearable. The days were spent lazing on the beach or in the sea. The snorkelling is fantastic but some of the sea bottom is a bit rocky in places. If you go for a walk on the sand bags, be careful, some of them are very slippy.
Lunch was either at La Isla or the Pizza bar. The spicey chicken fingers at La Isla were gorgeous. The service in the Pizza bar was a little slow at times when it is busy but we were not kept waiting for too long.
The restaurants we tried in the evening were Cocotal, La Carretta, Fuentes, Kampai, D'Italia and Jo-Jo's. All of the food was very nice. Fuentes is something else entirely and an experience I have never had before. It is advertised as a Cullinary Theatre, so I thought we would see a show whilst we ate. The show is your food being prepared and when I came out, I felt like I had seen a show. We had no problems getting the reservations that we wanted at all, I appreciate the hotel may not have been at capacity but it certainly was not empty.
The evening entertainment was very good too. I think my favourite has to be the ventriliquist on a Sunday night Justin, he was very funny. The circus show was one that took my breath away with some very daring tricks being performed. All the entertainment was very good.
I have read some reviews on here from people saying that they were bored. I cannot see how, everyday at all times there appears to be an organised event for you to take part in starting at 8.00am. I was happy just to chill out on a Sun bed apart from the few trips that we went on.
We went to Delphinus to swim with the dolphins which was totally amazing, again something that I have never experienced before but cannot wait to do again. They are so intelligent and love the interaction with you and the foot push is awesome.
We also went to Tulum and Coba which was an interesting day out. On the trek along the trail to the main pyramid at Coba you see alsorts of wild life along with the ancient ball courts. Climbing the pyramid is also worth the effort if you have a head for heights and are not put off by the 45 degree angel of the stairs. On the way out of Coba we saw a crocodile in the lake near the entrance.
Our final trip was to Xel-Ha. This day can be as relaxing or as wild as you want it to be. The lazy river is excellent and some of the fish are huge. Whilst we were snorkelling round we saw a ray. If you want to test your balance, try walking across the floating bridge, that was good fun.
In summary it was a fantastic holiday which I would recommend to anyone. The rain did not ruin it as there is plenty of shelter around the complex if it does rain. The food is excellent however if you want to take a buffet at every meal this may not be the place for you, the only buffet available is breakfast apart from the salads at lunch time. The staff at the hotel work very hard to make sure you are happy. We had a problem with our toilet one night, within 2 hours whilst we were out having a meal it was fixed. The grounds staff work really hard keeping everywhere looking nice, even the iguanas/pea cocks approved and the beach was always kept immaculately clean.
If anyone has any specific questions about this hotel that you wish to ask me, please do so. Phogan1@ntlworld.com

34  Thank monkeynuts77
Write a ReviewReviews (10,769)

Reviewed 23 October 2006

My husband and I were married at EDR on October 7, 2006. We were at the resort from October 3-13 and just LOVED the place. I have traveled a great deal and while I knew I would like the place, I never imagined I would love it as much as I did. From the second we got there, the staff worked to make sure our stay was perfect in every way. This place is heaven on earth

Food: We loved the food. Our favorite was the Italian place, but we really did like every place we went and we REALLY loved room service. It was fast and always really yummy. At dinner, things tend to be a bit slow but that is sort of nice when you are on vacation. You just sit back and relax and they bring you all this beatiful food. The portions were sometimes small but if you order all the different courses that are offered, there is no way not to be full and they will always bring you more. The staff in every place we ate would bend over backwards to please each and every person in the place. We has no trouble getting reservations at the places we wanted to eat at. We did make them early and we did not mind that process at all. Knowing that each night we were going to eat at a different place was something fun to look forward to.

Room: We were in a swim up casita. It was just out of this world. Because it was our wedding we went all out and did not mind spending the money. We had wedding guests staying in all different room groupings though so we really go to see what the differences in rooms were. All of the rooms were so very nice. I would have been happy in any of them The biggest difference in the casitas is the pool system rather than the rooms themselves. The casitas do have outdoor showers and are bigger but the really nice part is having the more private pool that goes along with each casita section. For each group of 15-20 casitas, there is a pool that goes along with them. Each of these pools has their own swim-up bar and we had soooo much fun in this pool. we met wonderful people who were also staying in our casita section and just really loved how nice it was to just sort of fall out of our room and into a pool that was tons of fun but not in any way overrun with people. I may have loved the main pool too, but because we loved our pool in the casitas, we never went there. It was also nice having a relationship with the bar tender in your pool area. Over our 10 days, we got to know our bar tender well and he really took care of us (Julio ROCKS!!!!!!). He knew which music we liked the best and he knew the drinks we liked and he made sure we never had an empty glass. We were in the 28 section of the casitas so if you want Julio, that is where you will find him. The only thing that we did not love is that from the swim up casitas, you can not see the ocean. You can hear it, but because you are on the first floor, there is no ocean view. From the second floor casitas, there is a great ocean view.

Wedding: The wedding saff at the resort worked super hard to make sure that everything on our day was perfect and it was just that, PERFECT. I got my hair done at the resort and I loved it and I loved the flowers that I ordered as well. Everything was taken care of and done just how we had asked. We were thrilled.

This has gotten too long so I will stop now, but I just have to say, this place is amazing. We loved it and so did all of our wedding guests. It was really a great place with a wonderful staff.

9  Thank 2BV
Reviewed 23 October 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed @ EDR Oct 6-20 2006 in an Ocean Front Jacuzzi Junior Suite.
Check in was quick and we received a glass of champagne to welcome us - very nice start to our vacation! We had to provide a credit card on which a charge of 500 USD was taken as a damage deposit - fully refunded at end of stay as long your room is left as you found it!
Beautiful resort although we were disappointed with the beach, sand was rocky and the giant sand dunes in the surf did ruin the otherwise gorgeous ocean view.
We were located next to the health bar and pool which was lovely, this was the quietest pool and we were always guaranteed sunbeds.
Our room was beautiful couldn’t really ask for anything more - huge comfy bed and great shower!!
We didn’t experience any problems with making dinner reservations and got all the times we asked for.
The food was good, but by the second week we were tiring of 'a la carte' - a couple of nights when we just wanted to chill we ordered from room service.
Having said that my boyfriend absolutely loved the buffet breakfast at Cocotal which cannot be faulted!!
And we loved Kampai - beautiful food in a gorgeous location!
Tipping we found to be a slightly confusing issue - some staff seemed to expect it while others didn't - we concluded in the end to tip those who did provide us with excellent service because we didn’t always.........our night at La Fondue was a nightmare service-wise!!
Apart from that the staff were great; maid service was brilliant although the time they choose to clean your room varies from day to day - we returned from breakfast to find the room clean on one occasion while on another we returned from the beach at 4pm to find it still un-done.
Through our concierge we booked a shopping trip to Cancun using the free transportation which is nice thing to do one afternoon, we were asked to vote whether we wanted to visit the souvenir area or the brand named malls - the majority opted for souvenirs which I have to say I didn’t agree with! - looking around souvenir stores for 5hrs doesn’t appeal to me so we caught a taxi to 'La Isla Mall' which is well worth a visit - it has an Aquarium, a great Starbucks were you can drink your coffee while overlooking the ocean and plenty of perfume stores which are all tax free.
We also visited Playa Del Carmen via taxi; found this area more authentic Mexico than the Americanised Cancun. Another enjoyable afternoon trip.
The jewellery store in the main lobby had some beautiful pieces and I was a frequent visitor! My suitcase on the way home included a few new sparkley items!!
As a young couple (23/25) we didn’t find there was enough going on for us on the resort itself, this can be remedied by off complex excursions but bear in mind these trips are at extra cost - by paying for All Inclusive you can come here with minimal spending money and have a lovely time but that limits you to sunbathing, swimming and the few non-motor water activities provided - anything else you fancy doing will cost extra.
Check out was straightforward - keep hold of all your room keys, towel cards and safe keys as any losses will be charged to you.
Check out is at 12 noon (unless you request late check out at 3pm costing 75.00 USD). Our pick up time wasn’t until 5.30pm and we did not think the extra 3hrs in the room was worth 75 bucks so instead left our luggage in the storage room and took with us to the beach showering stuff and travelling clothes - we were able to use the Spa facilities to get ready at the last minute so not a moment of that preciously last day was wasted! Spa showers and changing area were brilliant.
Our stay @ EDR was enjoyable and very relaxing, if what you want from a holiday is to relax in the sun by day, enjoy luxurious food and just want your bed when the sun goes down then this is the place for you!
I have to say though that we won't be going back - as lovely as EDR is our experience there has shown us that we'd like a little more choice on our next holiday.

18  Thank Missfee
Reviewed 22 October 2006

My husband and I travelled to Playa in Sept. and spent one week right in Playa at the Shangri-la Caribe ( fantastic place, check it out) and our second week at EDR .We were booked into the Casita section and were put in an upper level one with a great view of the ocean. The room itself was great with a lot of amenities such as pillow menu, aroma therapy , turn down service, fridge that was stocked daily with water juices and of course beer.
We arrived at our room to find a chilled bottle of champagne sitting by the jet tub and a plate of fruit. While soaking in the tub you look out over the beautiful grounds and of course the ocean. There is also another full bathroom with tub and shower and an out door shower. It was fantastic having a shower out side under the stars.
Each casita has a concierge to make you dinner reservations or help you with anything else you may want. Thanks to Gabby for all her help.There are seven restaurants in which you need to have dinner reservatioins for. We never had a problem with this, although we had trouble finding something on the menu that we liked. Way to fancy for us. Jo Jo's by the beach wasn't bad. Cocatal and Mexican were ok. Breakfast however was fantastic at Cocatal where you could get a buffet of pretty much every breakfast item you can think of . There is an omelette station where you can get eggs any way you like. They even have bottles of champage open for breakfast. Room service is also great for breakfast.or lunch. Make sure you get the latest Room Service Menu, cause it has a better selection than the old one we started off with.
This is a very large resort and there are a lot of things that are not that convenient when you are in the 2900 section. I would recomend trying to get something closer to the main lobby. There are pools in each casita section but most of the restaurants and the two main pools, giftshops , activities etc. are all surrounding the main lobby. There is a shuttle service that takes you back and forth on the back way, but you seem to spend a lot of time waiting for it. Some of the drivers were fantastic others not so friendly.
We were at this resort on an RCI exchange. The RCI reps on site were very uninformed and misleading. Please double check everything with the concierge from the resort., they are stationed in booths in each section . We saved the price of the Romantic Dinner by going through the resort rather than RCI and did not have to take the Timeshare spiel.
The beach here is terrible , very rocky, they have huge sand bags all over to try and break the waves which wouldn't be so bad but the beach itself is so uneven you can't walk it. It appeared to be under construction or something. The best part of the beach was the Beach Bed under the palapa roof. The beach back by the main pool area was better.There are so many other places to go in this area and the beaches are wonderful. So if you are a beach person this is not the place for you. We did not swim in the ocean here as it was hard to navigate over the rocks, coral and the whales (sand bags).
Most of the guests seemed to be in their 20's or 30's and on their honeymoon. We are 50ish and were feeling some what out of place.
The Bartenders in the Casita section were great and service only got better after a 20 peso tip. The room was very nice and the attendant made a different towel creation every day. The workers work hard at maintaining the grounds and were always planting somethng it seemed. A tip was deserved by most of the workers we encountered with the exception of some of the shuttle drivers who lacked people skills.
All in all we had a good time but we won't return here as the resort is just to spread out , food for supper is not great unless you are into gourmet and the beach is awful.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
15  Thank mayansunloungers4
Reviewed 21 October 2006

We stayed at EDR from October 8 to October 15/06. This was by far the nicest resort I have EVER been to. People who write negative reviews are out of their minds!!

The food was awesome. With eight restaurants you have a wide selection.

The room (Casita 2809) was absolutely beautiful.

The resort itself was beautiful, peaceful and quite.

I can honestly say nothing bad about our trip. I would recommend this resort to anyone and everyone and would absoolutely go back.

15  Thank Bump30
4.8 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!