Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
US$204
US$167
US$190
US$472
US$384
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
US$286
US$223
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Beach(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$167
US$264
US$256
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$400
US$369
  • Breakfast included
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa(Playa Maroma)
US$615
US$599
Kin Sol Soleil(Playa Maroma)
US$500
US$437
11,733 results
All reviewsmartini barhealth barswim up roomsanta fesand bagscasita sectionk teamfuentes poolla isla poolour honeymoonoutdoor showerroom serviceswing bargreenhouse tourpersonal conciergewine pairingjo jos
Reviewed 26 October 2005

We stayed at the El Dorodo Royale for our honeymoon from October 16-20th. We were supposed to be there until October 23, however we were evacuated on the 20th because of Hurricane Wilma. The resort handled the evacuation in a very organized way. They briefed all of the guests at a meeting and arranged to have buses to transport all 950 of us to shelters in Merida. The only downside to the evacuation was that we were not able to bring our luggage with us, however this was because of space restrictions on the bus. Upon arrival at the shelters in Merida, we were provided with warm food and lots of water. I give the hotel staff credit as they brought their cleaning staff with them, their chefs and their front desk and concierge staff. They worked very hard to ensure that their were activities for us to do during the day at the shelters and even arranged for phone cards to be available for purchase so that we were able to call home to let our families know that we were safe. The staff did a good job on keeping us posted on the hurricane and informed us about the damage done to the resort as soon as they knew. On Saturday the 22nd they informed us that they had arranged for buses to take us to the airport or a hotel in Merida so that we could make arrangements to fly our of Merida airport.

Our experience at the resort was amazing. We stayed in the Casitas and I would highly recommend these to anyone going to the resort. The outdoor shower was fantastic! Each casita section had their own swim up bar and the bartenders worked very hard at ensuring you always had a drink in your hand! Greetings to bartender Isaac- he was amazing! The casita section had their own concierge and making dinner reservations was a breeze as they work very hard to accommodate your dinner requests. My husband and I had arranged to eat at each restaurant at least once and received the dinner times that we had requested. The casita concierge was extremely helpful. They can also help you arrange day trips and save you from walking to the lobby to do this. The rooms were very clean and the maid service was fantastic! If you needed anything at all, they would accommodate you. The towel animals that were put on our bed each day were so cute and they really worked hard to keep your room immaculate.

The food at this resort is amazing. There is large variety of restaurants to eat at for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our favorite dinner restaurant was the Italian, however the food at each restaurant was fantastic. The service and the presentation of the food were phenomenal. You are treated as if you are eating at fine dining restaurant each day. For lunch, I would highly recommend the burgers and pizza at the Cabana restaurant by the main pool or Jojo's as everything on their menu was so good!

The evening shows were very good and we really enjoyed them. As well, I would highly recommend visiting the Martini bar as it's a really great experience.

Overall, I cannot say anything bad about the resort. Our only complaint is that we had to leave early because of the hurricane. This resort is a true 5+ star. The staff really work hard to ensure that your vacation experience is a excellent one.

A big hello to all of our Casita friends- Phyllis and Craig, Tracy and John, Bridgette and Dan and to Michelle and Greg!

My husband and I plan on going back as soon as we can

32  Thank 14snow
Reviewed 24 October 2005

My new husband and I just returnedd from our homeymoon at EDR, it was absolutely wonderful. Neither of us have much to compare it to, but we do know that we had a great time. We sstayed in a casita suite and it was absolutely beautiful, we wouldn't stay in any other type of room, you get a lot of special perks by staying in a casita, such as priority seating in restaurants and other activities. The foosd was good, we are not really "gourmet" people and some of the food was a little bit out of our league, but we ddidnb't have a bad meal. The beaches buy the casitas are nice, the "whales" are not that bad. We loved the beach beds in the casita section, they were very comfortable to spend an entire day on. The swim up bars are also veryr nice. The bar tender during the day in our section was Julio and he was great, they all love to puch the tequila though :) We loved our stay there, you can either be a part of the crowd or have a fairly private vacation, it was nice being able to experience the best of both worlds as far as crowds go. I would definitely go back!

19  Thank ashbnursing
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 October 2005

What an excellent resort. My wife and I have stayed in several all inclusive resorts in Mexico and Jamaica, but this one was our all around favorite for several reasons.
Service was outstanding whether you tipped or not. I usually did.
The rooms were absolutly wonderful with a great big jacuzzi. I think every room has at least a partial view of the ocean. Maid service was outstanding and if you need anything special just leave a note.
The restraunts were top notch. Every one talks about how great the Italian restraunt is (and it is) so I won't. We really enjoyed Jo Jo's for lunch. When they were busy the waiter would bring these great sampler platters to buy some time for your food to arrive.
The pool bars were so much fun I ended up with the nickname Don Julio, which is the premium tequila served at the resort. For days people that I didn't know would come up to me and say " hey its Don Julio". Its pretty easy to lose track of your self having fun.
For the cost this resort is a must try. I hope huricane Wilma dosen't feel the same.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 October 2005

My husband and I stayed the El Dorado Royale from the 8th to the 15th of October with a group of about 30 people. It was a combination trip that included our honeymoon and my best friends wedding.
I have to say that I am truly shocked when I read a bad review about this resort. I am VERY particular about where I lay my head and what I put in my mouth and I have to say that I did not hesitate to enjoy every aspect of this beautiful ADULTS ONLY resort.
From the rooms to the food to the impeccable service, we felt comfortable and were taken care of at all times.
I would suggest that the naysayers cough up the cash it takes to stay at the Ritz Carlton and avoid turning people off of this paradise on earth. Maybe they don't like authentic Mexican decor and culture...(Or maybe it's a plot to keep it all for themselves....!:)
Also, I would like to comment on the tipping issue...I never felt forced to tip at any time.However, the service that I recieved was so good that I WANTED to tip the staff. Most of them work very long days and in different roles on the resort. I wouldn't imagine that 4 or 5 dollars extra a day would break anybody who could afford to go here in the first place.
One more thing...I would HIGHLY recommend the moonlight massage.... Unbelieveable!

25  Thank Minniemowse
Reviewed 18 October 2005

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our honeymoon at EDR. We were there from 10/9-10/14 and stayed in an Oceanfront room. Overall we had a wonderful time and didn't want to leave when it was time to go! We did try to upgrade to a Casita but they were all booked, it was actually okay though because our room was centrally located and we never had to walk very far. We did arrive kind of late (5:30pm) but check in was very easy, no waiting in line and a glass of champagne on arrival...First thing we did was attempt to make our dinner reservations for the next 3 nights (hint:you can make reservations up to 3 days in advance), but because it was later in the evening most things were booked until 9pm or later for Sunday and Monday. It worked out okay because we missed our reservations for Sunday night anyway. We visited some of the bars and ended up ordering room service...Room service was not bad, the menu was pretty limited and did take about 30-45 minutes to arrive each time we ordered, so order as soon as you are hungry!! All of the restaraunts that we tried were good and the service was unbelievable...our favorite was the Italian restaraunt. The bars were really nice too, some of the swim up bars by the Casitas are not very crowded and we actually had some time just the two of us and the bartender on more than one occasion. We did sit through the time share presentation (about 90 minutes) but it was worth it, we did not feel any pressure to buy and got a tour inside of the "Grand Casitas" that were just built(unbelievable),a huge beach bag and a $100 gift certificate that I used for a 1 hour massage at the spa...which was wonderful!! We also went on a bus to Xel-Ha one day and it was absolutely gorgeous!! Great snorkeling and a relaxing float down a beautiful river. Overall, we were very happy with the resort, with our one complaint being the maid service. After the first day we never did receive our towel arrangements, she never actually "cleaned", and the day before we left we did not get maid service at all. Other than that it was wonderful, we did take lots of $1's and $5's for tipping and found that it was much appreciated. The staff is very friendly and never failed to make us feel welcome. It was so relaxing and enjoyable. I would recommend this resort and plan on getting back there as soon as we can!!

17  Thank Aimee72