“El Dorado - Pure Paradise”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 27 October 2005

Stayed at El Dorado for three nights from 10/16 through 10/19, and thought it was wonderful. We travelled with another couple for our anniversaries and for my husband's 50th birthday. We tried to get a casita, but they said they were full, so we stayed in the newest building of the resort at the southernmost end of the property. Even though they said the resort was full, we thought we were the only ones there. We were in a ground floor, swimout room, oceanfront, and it was private and quiet and spectacular!! The resort is impeccable and the service was great. For my husband's birthday we did the moonlight lobster dinner on the beach and it was worth every penny!!! If you are going to get massages, do the moonlight massage on the beach. We didn't do that but wished we had. Yes the beach was rocky down by our end but that didn't stop us from going into the warm and wonderful sea every day. The beach by JoJo's is not rocky, so you can always go down there for a swim. Definitely get bikes and ride around the entire resort which is about two miles all around. We also ate at the Japanese restaurant one night, and the sushi was excellent. We took a cab to Playa Del Carmen one day for shopping and didn't buy a thing. It was overpriced and highly commercialized, and we were not at all impressed. We would definitely highly recommend the El Dorado Royale for a wonderful, peaceful stay.

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (10,613)

Reviewed 26 October 2005

We stayed at the El Dorodo Royale for our honeymoon from October 16-20th. We were supposed to be there until October 23, however we were evacuated on the 20th because of Hurricane Wilma. The resort handled the evacuation in a very organized way. They briefed all of the guests at a meeting and arranged to have buses to transport all 950 of us to shelters in Merida. The only downside to the evacuation was that we were not able to bring our luggage with us, however this was because of space restrictions on the bus. Upon arrival at the shelters in Merida, we were provided with warm food and lots of water. I give the hotel staff credit as they brought their cleaning staff with them, their chefs and their front desk and concierge staff. They worked very hard to ensure that their were activities for us to do during the day at the shelters and even arranged for phone cards to be available for purchase so that we were able to call home to let our families know that we were safe. The staff did a good job on keeping us posted on the hurricane and informed us about the damage done to the resort as soon as they knew. On Saturday the 22nd they informed us that they had arranged for buses to take us to the airport or a hotel in Merida so that we could make arrangements to fly our of Merida airport.

Our experience at the resort was amazing. We stayed in the Casitas and I would highly recommend these to anyone going to the resort. The outdoor shower was fantastic! Each casita section had their own swim up bar and the bartenders worked very hard at ensuring you always had a drink in your hand! Greetings to bartender Isaac- he was amazing! The casita section had their own concierge and making dinner reservations was a breeze as they work very hard to accommodate your dinner requests. My husband and I had arranged to eat at each restaurant at least once and received the dinner times that we had requested. The casita concierge was extremely helpful. They can also help you arrange day trips and save you from walking to the lobby to do this. The rooms were very clean and the maid service was fantastic! If you needed anything at all, they would accommodate you. The towel animals that were put on our bed each day were so cute and they really worked hard to keep your room immaculate.

The food at this resort is amazing. There is large variety of restaurants to eat at for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our favorite dinner restaurant was the Italian, however the food at each restaurant was fantastic. The service and the presentation of the food were phenomenal. You are treated as if you are eating at fine dining restaurant each day. For lunch, I would highly recommend the burgers and pizza at the Cabana restaurant by the main pool or Jojo's as everything on their menu was so good!

The evening shows were very good and we really enjoyed them. As well, I would highly recommend visiting the Martini bar as it's a really great experience.

Overall, I cannot say anything bad about the resort. Our only complaint is that we had to leave early because of the hurricane. This resort is a true 5+ star. The staff really work hard to ensure that your vacation experience is a excellent one.

A big hello to all of our Casita friends- Phyllis and Craig, Tracy and John, Bridgette and Dan and to Michelle and Greg!

My husband and I plan on going back as soon as we can

32  Thank 14snow
Reviewed 24 October 2005

My new husband and I just returnedd from our homeymoon at EDR, it was absolutely wonderful. Neither of us have much to compare it to, but we do know that we had a great time. We sstayed in a casita suite and it was absolutely beautiful, we wouldn't stay in any other type of room, you get a lot of special perks by staying in a casita, such as priority seating in restaurants and other activities. The foosd was good, we are not really "gourmet" people and some of the food was a little bit out of our league, but we ddidnb't have a bad meal. The beaches buy the casitas are nice, the "whales" are not that bad. We loved the beach beds in the casita section, they were very comfortable to spend an entire day on. The swim up bars are also veryr nice. The bar tender during the day in our section was Julio and he was great, they all love to puch the tequila though :) We loved our stay there, you can either be a part of the crowd or have a fairly private vacation, it was nice being able to experience the best of both worlds as far as crowds go. I would definitely go back!

19  Thank ashbnursing
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 October 2005

What an excellent resort. My wife and I have stayed in several all inclusive resorts in Mexico and Jamaica, but this one was our all around favorite for several reasons.
Service was outstanding whether you tipped or not. I usually did.
The rooms were absolutly wonderful with a great big jacuzzi. I think every room has at least a partial view of the ocean. Maid service was outstanding and if you need anything special just leave a note.
The restraunts were top notch. Every one talks about how great the Italian restraunt is (and it is) so I won't. We really enjoyed Jo Jo's for lunch. When they were busy the waiter would bring these great sampler platters to buy some time for your food to arrive.
The pool bars were so much fun I ended up with the nickname Don Julio, which is the premium tequila served at the resort. For days people that I didn't know would come up to me and say " hey its Don Julio". Its pretty easy to lose track of your self having fun.
For the cost this resort is a must try. I hope huricane Wilma dosen't feel the same.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 October 2005

My husband and I stayed the El Dorado Royale from the 8th to the 15th of October with a group of about 30 people. It was a combination trip that included our honeymoon and my best friends wedding.
I have to say that I am truly shocked when I read a bad review about this resort. I am VERY particular about where I lay my head and what I put in my mouth and I have to say that I did not hesitate to enjoy every aspect of this beautiful ADULTS ONLY resort.
From the rooms to the food to the impeccable service, we felt comfortable and were taken care of at all times.
I would suggest that the naysayers cough up the cash it takes to stay at the Ritz Carlton and avoid turning people off of this paradise on earth. Maybe they don't like authentic Mexican decor and culture...(Or maybe it's a plot to keep it all for themselves....!:)
Also, I would like to comment on the tipping issue...I never felt forced to tip at any time.However, the service that I recieved was so good that I WANTED to tip the staff. Most of them work very long days and in different roles on the resort. I wouldn't imagine that 4 or 5 dollars extra a day would break anybody who could afford to go here in the first place.
One more thing...I would HIGHLY recommend the moonlight massage.... Unbelieveable!

25  Thank Minniemowse
4.8 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!