12,109 results
All reviews martini bar health bar santa fe swim up room sand bags casita section k team fuentes pool la isla pool our honeymoon outdoor shower room service swing bar greenhouse tour personal concierge wine pairing jo jos
Reviewed 10 August 2004

We have recently returned from El Dorado Royale, stayed in a garden junior suite and had a lovely view of one of the pools. What struck us most was from the moment you walked into the reception area, how clean and courteous the staff were.

Our "lady who did" laid out towels on our freshly made up bed in very decorative fashion, flowers in our bathroom, always very very clean.

The beach bar staff was always running around after us, carrying and fetching and a small tip kept them coming back. The staff actually said they enjoyed doing their job! something that is not often heard in my workplace.

The restaurants offered plenty of choice, only downside to the restaurants was the booking service at guest services, seems no tables at reasonable times, however a tip, just go to the restaurant when it opens and ask if they have any spaces if you get turned down at guest services. Worked for us.

For those who love that "British cuppa", take your own travel kettle, adapter plug, good old tea bags and powdered milk, you will certainly enjoy that first morning cuppa.

Breakfast was always a treat, so much fruit to choose from, omelettes made to order, what more could we ask.

The Wedding Chapel was delightful, saw a few weddings, very romantic, just like the resort.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday, well worth the money and the long flight. Can't say much for the Mexican airport though, certainly not to the same standard as our hotel.

Would certainly return there, absolutely delighted.

3  Thank Pathfinder17466
Reviewed 9 August 2004

We stayed at the EDR for our honeymoon June 30th thru July 6th. This is a beautiful resort. I just have a few negative tidbits to add. First of all, we stayed in the casitia suite #2510. The first night this horrible stench woke me up out of a sound sleep. It was so bad and would not go away. I had to put perfume under my nose to go back to sleep.
(No it was not my husband either. :0) We found out where the same smell was coming from when we walked down the path to the lobby by the bubbling, gurgling ---- stream. God, I almost threw up everytime I walked or rode by it. We shut the bathroom up tight in our room after that, and was able to sleep semi soundly. That is if the bed was not hard as a rock. Have you heard of mattress pads people. The outdoor shower and jacuzzi were a little scary since ours would get a browish black ooz dripping from it. The housekeeping was pretty good, although they never cleaned our room on sunday, also it always seemed when we wanted to come back to our room, wether we were gone for a couple of hours or all day they would be in there cleaning. But we always had warm welcomes and a very nice towel animal display with fresh flowers. The beach huts were awesome if you were lucky enough to get one. You had to get up pretty much at 6-7 am to put your stuff in one or you were out of luck for the rest of the day. I thought there should have been some sort of reservation sysem in place for them since they are in demand and in short supply. On to the food. The food was Great, if you like alot of fancy. I loved the Japaneese and Cocotal. They were my favorite, Athough I must say. I enjoyed going to all of them and trying new things. I wish they would have had more of a breakfast and lunch choice at LaIsla and JoJo's. I fould plenty to eat either way I never went hungry. The beach was gorgeous and the sand bags I did not mind to much. We would swim out to them and climb aboard. We sprung for the moonlight massage on the beach and that was pure heaven. Over all I had a good time and made the most of it. Not a lot of things going on around the resort during the evening. I would have prefered more things and activities to do. But then again I am a person that likes to be doing something all the time. My husband loved the relaxation, and I read alot of books. I would come back to cancun again, maybe to stay in another resort and definately not in the summer. TOO HOT!!!!

2  Thank Excursion18350
Reviewed 7 August 2004

On July 28th, 2004 we left KCI airport on US Airways for a 7 night vacation. We booked our trip with Funjet. We arrived at Cancun right on time. It has been about 4 years since we have been in the Cancun Airport. It appears that they have done a lot of work on the place. It was a nice little drive to the resort. Driving down the private road to the resort it was like we were in the jungle. Then we pulled up to a wonderful looking building. As soon as we got out of our vehicle, the Funjet rep was waiting for us. He took us into the main lobby where we were greeted by a staff member with two glasses of champagne. The Funjet rep got us started on the paperwork. I then noticed that the front desk manager and another manger were whispering to each other and looking at us. At that point I knew something was wrong. The front desk manager came to us and started talking. She told us that the Casita Suite that we had booked was not available. I was very disappointed in our Funjet rep, because he just seemed to vanish into thin air. The manager told us that a water pipe had broke in the room and caused a lot of damage. The employees were working non-stop trying to repair the damage to the room. In my opinion they over booked the Casita Suites, due to them telling other people the same story that all arrived on Wednesday. However, the front desk manager did her best to make it right. She put us in an ocean front room (building 1900), which was a new building and gave us some other little perks to make up for the trouble (moonlight massages on the beach, a full bar in our room). She did move us to a Casita Suite on Saturday.

The ocean front room was very nice. The room was big and clean. The bathroom was huge and the shower was very large. At night you could hear the music from the swing bar, however about 11:00-12:00am the music would be turned down. The two person tub was relaxing. However, be very careful when you go out on the balcony. The sliding glass door will lock when you shut it. We were not told about this feature, nor did we see the warning posted on the door. Luckily the people next door were in their room, so Shanna had to climb over the wall go into thier room and use the phone to have someone let us into our room.

The casita suite was also very nice. We had a single casita, so no other casitas were attached to us. This suite was a little older. The room itself was huge and very clean. The bathroom was a little smaller then the oceanfront room. The rock shower was interesting. With the casita you get a few extra perks which was nice (easier to make dinner reservations, DVD player in the room). Shanna and I are debating if we go back if we would book an ocean front or the casita. In my opinion either one would be perfect.

The staff is out of this world. From the grounds keeper to management, everyone was smiling and said Hola. If you needed something they were always there to get it for you. We did tip the staff, however they were great regardless of a tip or not.

The restaurants were great. We always did the breakfast buffet, since neither of us are that interested in breakfast. You could have tamales for breakfast which was a plus in my opinion. Lunch was probably our least favorite. You can do pizza/hamburgers, a sit down order off the menu, or a buffet. Lunch was good, it was just the same stuff everyday. Dinner was great. Yes, the portions are small. However, it is five courses and you can order as much as you want. I never did walk away hungry. We did not try the Mexican restaurant. I heard mixed opinions on it while we were there. The Oriental and Italian restaurants were excellent. If you are there on a Wednesday you have to do the Mexican fiesta by the main building. Such great food and great drinks. Since we were celebrating our wedding anniversary, our package included a dinner on the beach. This was very nice and romantic. And what can I say about the 24 hour room service. It was great. We used this twice and the food was good. And whatever time they told us that it would be there, it was.

Pools were nice. The main pool was where the action was. There were several small pools on the property. Most of the pools have swim up bars.

You never had to go far to find a drink. There are bars all over the property. The bar staff was always friendly and never had to wait for a drink. In the evenings we hung out in the Martini Bar at the main building. Teresa was a waitress there. She was very enjoyable to be around and she even helped us with our Spanish.

One day while we were there it did rain in the afternoon. It caused the smell to be all over the property. Yes, there is a smell in certain areas of the resort. It is nothing that is terrible. The beach is decent. It is a little rocky in spots. The "whales" did not take away from the beautiful water.

This was a great resort. This is one of the best resorts that we have stayed at. A vacation and a resort is what a person makes it to be. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

7  Thank Robb236
Reviewed 4 August 2004

July 19, 2004

To whom it may concern,

We have just returned from our 5 night honeymoon on a Fun Jet Vacation to El Dorado Royal in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Our honeymoon was a complete disappointment from start to finish.

We arrived at El Dorado Royale on Monday July 12th at noon and were told we needed to make dinner reservations for that night and Tuesday night only to find that there were no dinner reservations available for Monday evening and the only reservation available for Tuesday were at 9:30pm and 10pm. We asked to make reservations for the remainder of the week so that we could eat dinner at a decent hour and were told we could not.

We then were told there was a shuttle into Cancun each day except for Friday, but when we tried to reserve 2 seats on the shuttle we were told there was no space available except for Saturday, 6 days later and we were only there until Saturday so that was not even an option.

We then went to our room which smelled like mold, but thinking it may just be that we are in another country and may be normal we tried to deal with the smell.

Tuesday July 13th my husband woke up and went to take his medicine which was now growing mold. We continued to try and make the best of the situation in an extremely sub par situation.

Wednesday at 8am we went to reserve dinner for Thursday evening and again we were told there was only a reservation at 9:30pm available. We told them it was ridiculous that we could not reserve more than one night ahead and didn’t understand how all the reservations were taken at 8am for the next evening. We were then told we could schedule dinner for Friday and Saturday too. This makes no sense why can we now schedule more than one day ahead??? We then went to XCARET for the day and returned that evening to a room with a smell we could no longer take. We contacted the front desk and were told they would send housekeeping. After about an hour we had not seen anyone from housekeeping but our room service came and we asked the server if he thought the room smelled bad or if they all were like this. He told us it definitely smelled bad and called the front desk for us. After he told the front desk the room made me sick they gave us a new room which was not nearly as nice as what we had paid for. We finally got into the new room at about 11:30pm. This new room had no Jacuzzi tub, no view, left over miss matched furniture, but did not smell as bad. We stayed in this room Wednesday evening so we could get a little sleep and on our way to snorkel at 8am Thursday morning the front desk told us they could move us to another room more like the one we were originally in. Obviously we did not have time to switch rooms at this point as we had to take a bus to our snorkeling excursion which we had paid for and could not change. We asked to speak to a manager and were told there was not one available. Thursday we returned from snorkeling and were suppose to have a candle light dinner on the beach at 10pm. We arrived at 9:50pm to several empty tables and were told by the wait staff to leave and come back in 10 minutes. We returned at 10pm to a line of people and when we got to the front of the line were told there were no more tables available and to come back in 10 minutes. We explained that we were there 10 minutes earlier and were told to leave. They repeated that we had to come back in 10 minutes. Again we tried to be patient and returned in 10 minutes when we were told there were still no tables available and to wait for a table. By this point it was 10:30pm and we still were not seated for dinner. We left without dinner. My husband went to the front desk to complain again, and again there was no one to speak with, so he left a note for a manager to call first thing in the morning.

On Friday we received a call from the front desk to come speak with a manager, so again we took more time out from our honeymoon to try and get some semblance of what we paid a great deal of money for. We met with the manager who put us in a casita for our last night and arranged for us to have dinner at 7pm. So, you would think we would have at least had one good day, but it actually turned into the worst day. We spent the day at the beach and pool at the resort, and then we went to our 7pm candlelight dinner which the manager had scheduled. We had not even made it to dessert when my husband became extremely sick. He was delusional, did not know where he was, was not speaking clearly and we had to leave. He spent the entire night unsure where he was, dizzy and throwing up. I spent the entire night trying to care for him while also having an extremely upset stomach. By 8 am Saturday neither of us had slept and my husband was not sure he would even be able to travel as he was continuing to throw up, was extremely dizzy and did not remember anything from the night before. I was determined to get home as I was not about to stay there a moment longer than we had to.

This was our honeymoon, it was suppose to be an enjoyable relaxing trip and was anything but that. We continually struggled to accomplish the most simple of tasks that we had paid for. Our room was not what we paid for, dinner reservations were unavailable at a decent hour our entire trip and there was obviously something severely wrong with their food in order to become that sick. We did not get what we paid for and fully expect to be compensated.

All we got back was a letter full of bogus claims!

5  Thank Paradise4866
Reviewed 1 August 2004

My wife and I stayed at the El Dorado Royale from the 22/6/2004 for a fortnight. We had an ocean view room in the 1900 section near to where they are buiding more of the hotel. You would not have known it though. All behind closed doors (or fences ).
Well from the moment "you walked in the joint, I could see they were big spenders!" Hmm sounds like a cue for a song! The lobby was gorgeous. The check in was done nicely (about 8pm) and we were whisked off on a cart to our room. It was dark so there was no pointing out what was what as we flew through the evening air.
The room was great, HUGE shower and bathroom.
Everywhere in the hotel you looked there was something different to take in. We ordered room service which was efficient and friendly.
My wife is a vegetarian and the evening meals were a bit of a disappointment, as there was not much choice for her. The staff in the resteraunts were all friendly and out to make sure that everyone was well looked after. You could notice the smell at the back of the hotel, but only there, and it was not too bad as you passed through.
The beach was very good and the concrete beached whales were no problem and they made it so much easier and safer for people to go in the gorgeous water. The weather was brilliant, the drinks we found lovely and getting them was no problem. In fact we said no thank you more often than yes please as they were very efficient at keeping you topped up.
If you are thinking of going then don't delay, just go go go and don't forget to say Tony & Sue say thank you once again El Dorado Royale, thank you!!

• Stayed: January 2005