El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
US$682
US$520
Excellent 5/5
  • Breakfast included
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
US$408
US$257
US$347
US$293
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
US$315
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Beach(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
US$320
US$257
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
11,143 results
All reviewsmartini barhealth barswim up roomsanta fesand bagscasita sectionk teamla isla poolfuentes poolour honeymoonroom serviceoutdoor showerswing bargreenhouse tourpersonal conciergewine pairingculinary theatre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 October 2008

We have just returned from our honeymoon and it was unreal (brilliant!).
After a 11 hour flight (with delays) we arrived at the hotel to be greeted by champaine and wet face cloths, we quickly checked in while the bell boys took care of our luggage and was taken to our room on the shuttle bus, only taken a few minutes.
Stepping into the room was amazing a huge king size bed, jazzi, balcony with hammock, table and chairs, tv, iron, safe depoist box, fridge (gets topped up every day,free), and a huge bathroom with toilet, sink, bath and shower plenty of room to move about.
We were also given a map of the resort so we could find our way around with out getting lost.
We spend a few days around the pool which was lovely double beds to lie on and a swim up bar for cocktails.The beach was great for snorkling and with simmilar kind of beds - some days you had to get there early to put towels on beds, wasnt a problem for us.
We seemed to talk to people around the pool more than the beach as beds were spreaded out.
We tried all the restraurants but would recommend 'Fuentes' for breakfast, a large help-yourself buffet with a great choice of foods - service is excellent, 'JoJo's' for an afternoon lunch with a good selection of pizza's and hotdogs and 'La Isla' for evening meal. Especially the beef kababs or beef steak (med.) and creme brulle for pudding, the food was outstanding and the service quick. On some days we ordered room service and the same standard of food. Evening meals the men have to wear long trousers and no sandels. No bikinis during the evening for the ladies. I was a bit dissapointed of the D'Italia resturant as they didnt do pasta! As it was our honeymoon we had a 'midnight' massage on the beach on our first night and I would def recommend this to any couples. It was so relaxing after a long trip and to start your holiday. We had a meeting with the rep on the first day to get information on the resort and different trips, and you also have a concierge rep which was more useful to us than our own rep. On the last 2 days we upgrated to the casitas (which is well worth it) the service is even better and the room was outstanding. Beach towels are included and are changed everyday, a good selection of toileties and hairdryer so dont need to take these items.
Overral had a great time, please contact me for anymore information.
During our second week we went on a 4 day tour visiting Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Uxmal, visited towns and the forest were people of today live without electicity or water:
(See other review for informaton and hotels).

• Stayed: October 2008
8  Thank kateSunderland
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I have just arrived home after staying at the El Dorado Royale for 2 weeks and after reading some of the reviews on here i was really worried about what to expect from the hotel ....

We had nothing to worry about, this hotel is amazing and like nothing i have ever stayed at before!! I went with my friend, with the intention of a girlie getaway with lots of pampering - and this is totally what we got!!

We upgraded our seats on the plane with First Choice and it was well worth it - altho just a word of warning if you want to make sure you definately sit together then ring them to book it (at another extra charge!!!) - we didnt do this and altho we were sitting together lots of couples were not!!

The hotel was fantastic, very well kept, the room was lush and all rooms have a jacuzzi bath, big shower and bathroom and a hammock on the balcony, always very well cleaned and thanks to our maid "Leo" she kept leaving us towel art on the bed! We were in room 216 which was an ocean front room and over looked the health bar, which was nice as we didnt get much noise at night if we wanted an early night after or before our trips!
The hotel is mainly geared for honeymooners, and couples but we were still made to feel special, and if your a girl who likes spas and being pampered then this place is for you!!!!!!

A great variety on restaurants to choose from ... my favourite was the "Kampai" oriental in the evening, although i like "La Isla" too, and at lunch time my favourite was "Jo, Jos" - but everyone has different tastes and lots of people had godd reviews about all of the restaurants!

All the pools are amazing, the beach although doesnt look very pretty because of the sand bags but it does offer protection to the beach and is great for snorkling, where there are loads of fish all shapes and sizes and colours!! The sea is also really salty which is great because you can float without sinking - who needs a lilo!!!! We went on the beach most days that we were at the hotel beacuse it had a breeze and was slightly cooler!!

We did a lot of trips and all of them were fantastic ... we did Xel-Ha and Tulum (fantastic beach), Captain Hooks Lobster Dinner Cruise (Awesome!!), The Mayan Cenotes and Swimming with Turtles (amazing must do experience!), Xcaret (long day but worth it, and also try the sea trek, its fantastic!!), Catemaran to Isla Mujeres (very good - Thanks Johnny!!!!), bar crawl to Cancun (glad we wernt staying in cancun centre but was a good night!!), and a definate must do was the swimming with dolphins (most amazing experience of my life!!!!)

Over all anyone going to Mexico and the El Dorado Royale is gonna have a great time, the Mexican people are lovely, although it is sad to see outside the hotel because money is obviously ploughed into the toursim and we did see some shocking homes (or rather shacks) ... but i would highly recommend going and anyone reading these reviews dont worry about anything because i cant understand why anyone would have any complaints!!! ENJOY!!! (wish i was back there now!!!!!)

If you want to know anything else please feel free to msg me!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
7  Thank little_miss_happi
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I travelled with first choice holidays and flew out of Gatwick and there are some upgrades I would recommend doing firstly when u arrive at Gatwick and got through all the security u see a mass of people sitting all over the place .I had upgraded to the aviance lounge where u can sit and have free drinks etc before walking to the gate also I would recommend upgrading to premium class and thirdly when on the plane make sure u fill out your visitors forms to Mexico correctly this will save a lot of time at the other end ,if the forms are filled out incorrectly u have to fill out a new form at immigration. Arriving 30 minutes early in Cancun was excellent and I was through immigration and luckily my case was second on the conveyor and then I was on my way once I had pressed the button. I would also organise a private taxi to the resort u can do this at the time of booking the holiday. I was at the resort by 5.10pm and taken to the Casita book in area and offered a cold towel and a glass of Champaign.

I was placed in 2606 Casita area the room is a ground floor room which is close to the pool and Jacuzzi and the beach. 2606 is also close to the shuttle stop and the main concierge room which is below the La Fondue Restaurant. Where u can take a DVD out or a book and even have a bag of popcorn why u watch your film. I had two slight problems why I was there the air con leaked but was fixed with in 10 minutes and the door to the outside shower came of the runner and again was fixed with in 10 minutes there slight problems where nothing but a blip and where fixed and dealt with by the staff brilliantly. There are many positives to be taken from the hotel, the staff are very hard working and polite and if u make an effort to speak the language or ask how to say something in Spanish they are always willing to help.
Abel the barman at the pool was Brilliant and without doubt one of the best barmen at the resort. I had no trouble getting a sunbed around the pool but in high season I can see there would be problems as more beds are needed around the pool area.
Now to the restaurants JO JOS was my favourite the crab cakes where fab and then I went for the vegetable soup and the beef tenderloin followed by a choice of yummy deserts. KAMPI is an excellent restaurant and with out doubt one of the best in the resort and have lunch there as well many don’t realize it is open at lunch time well worth it. LA COCOTAL was my place for breakfast put what u like on your plate and if u are lucky u may also here someone being sang to at breakfast. LA FONDUE I can’t really comment on as I don’t like cheese but from what I heard other people talking about the restaurant it had mixed reviews. LA ISLA dinner was ok but nothing special although do try the desert named Tina Turner very nice and plenty of calories.
The Mexican restaurant reopened on October 1st and again I did not visit it but many people though the food was not Mexican especially the Americans u are from Texas and eat a lot of Mexican food, many thought the food was ok but definitely not genuine Mexican. Now for Snacks if u like Pizza made in the ovens or hamburgers or hotdogs the go to the snack bar near the main pool. U can’t take the food away from the area and it gets busy at lunchtime. And another place to defiantly visit is the Health Bar the juices are great and they do some great meals at lunch time.
And if u get tired out going out every night have room service I did when I first arrived and it was excellent.
I had a hot stone massage while there and it was fantastic well worth the money paid, I am sure anyone who stayed in the Casita section will have seen the new SPA that is due to open in November it looks like it is three stories high and will have plenty of room for all the treatments.
TRIPS I booked in for just a couple of trips while there Tulum and Coba both are worth the visit, firstly Tulum it is a small site compared to the others sites and u can walk around it in under two hour’s. And make sure u where covered with mosquito spray as the little blighters where out in force during my visit. And Coba is very hot and humid so make sure u take plenty of water with u and sun protection and also mosquito spray. U can hire a three wheeled bike for $9.50 and get taken to the main pyramid which is about 2 Km from the entrance well worth it. Climbing up is ok just be careful coming down. come down in a zig zag pattern I find is the best way to do it.
Another trip I did not go on but was told is well worth it was the speed boat trip where u also go snorkelling over the reef I think that trip is a half day trip.
MINOR MOANS
Everywhere u go around the pools and Jacuzzis u see the signs warning u of the surface maybe slippery while entering or exiting the pools etc. so why not put a safety bar on all the pools and Jacuzzis where u can easily step into them and out again and also some non slip tiles when u step in or out of the Jacuzzi or pool. a simple and inexpensive solution. And the Jacuzzi around 26 casita section often broke down and one day we counted 5 men working on the problem. but apart from that this hotel is fabulous and I will be back.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank DevonUKMale
Reviewed 9 October 2008

As the K-Team say….”Excellente!”

My husband and I have just returned from a two week break at EDR – where we had a lovely, relaxing stay.

Here are my thoughts about the resort – if you have any specific questions, please feel free to get in touch.

After a ten hour flight I was dreading stepping off the plane, as some of the previous reviewers have had a bad experience at Cancun Airport. Thankfully everything progressed very smoothly for us. My only complaint is that the luggage took a while to come out, but if you’ve ever been in an airport on a Greek Island, then Cancun is 5* by comparison!! One little tip to UK readers…. Don’t buy your cigarettes in the UK Duty free shops, or on the plane. As you head through immigration at Cancun Airport you will pass a duty free stand that sells them a lot cheaper.

We booked a garden view junior Jacuzzi suite – but there was nothing bog standard about it and we never felt “second class.” The bed was huge and soft, we had a wonderful Jacuzzi that we made good use of, and the bathroom was finished to a high standard with a walk in shower.

The Hotel itself is huge, with beautiful gardens and water features. Our room 1424 was pretty central, so the lobby, pools and restaurants were all close to us, but I can imagine you’d have a fair walk if you stayed in a Casita, or in any of the rooms near that side of the resort. However, they have little golf buggies to ferry people around so it’s not the end of the world if you find yourself in a room on the outskirts.

When we stayed at the hotel (09/09/08 – 20/09/08) EDR was only 60% full, yet you had to get up at 8am every day to secure a sun lounger at the pool side. This annoyed me a little as I don’t like to have to rush around when I’m on holiday. I can only imagine that the problem gets worse as the season progresses, so I’d take that into account if you’re considering booking this hotel at peak time. I also I wish I’d known the difference between the atmospheres at La Isla’s pool and the pool at Fuentes when we arrived.

We spent about 4 days sitting at the La Isla pool at the start of our holiday. My husband and I are sociable people and we like to get chatting to other holiday makers (yes we’re the annoying ones everyone tries to avoid!!!) It was really difficult to get any conversation going at La Isla. In the end we decided that either our Yorkshire accents were too strong, and no one understood us (aye up all Yorkies reading this.) Or alternatively the people at that pool were trying to keep themselves to themselves – fair enough, it is a honeymoon hotspot after all.

Then someone told us that the Fuentes Pool was the place to be, if you want to make a few holiday buddies. Well, it was like being at a different Hotel! The K-Team are based at that pool and they are such good fun. They never try to push you into taking part in their packed activities programme, but if you do, your holiday can only be enhanced by their enthusiasm and drive to make you happy. Hello to Alex, Louis, Eloy, George and the rest of the team – they really made our holiday!!

On two occasions the K team took the guests to the beach and we released baby turtles into the sea. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Only 1 in 100 make it to adult hood, I hope the little ones I released make it!!

We got talking to some brilliant couples from across the globe – the only problem is that they kept going home! I think 2 week holidays are a European thing. Many of the American and Canadian guests stay for just a few days, which was a real shame, as we would have liked more time to get to know some of them. Hi to Jeremiah, Crystal, Dave and Abbey, hope you all had safe journeys back to the states??

Any way, back to the review……We have mixed feelings about the food. Breakfast and lunch is excellent as you have so much choice. If you want a top class breakfast, then head for the restaurant at La Isla, where the al la carte menu is presented to you looking every bit as nice as it tastes. If, however, you want a more casual breakfast then Cockotal is ideal as they have a buffet laid out where you can chose whatever you fancy – and I mean whatever you fancy… they have everything from fresh fruit to a full English.

Lunch was every bit as good because you got the choice of an al la carte dinning experience at La Isla, Jo Jo’s and Kampi or you could go to the snack bar by the pool and order pizza’s, burgers and wraps, if you wanted something simple.

My husband and I felt that this variety should have been available on an evening. Don’t get me wrong, the al la carte menu was delicious and exciting for the first week, but by week two we were desperate for what I would call a good quality square meal.

All the restaurants have designed their evening menu with the idea that everyone will want to eat between three and five courses, therefore, portions during each course were very small. If you asked for chicken for your main course, then you literally got a dressed up piece of chicken – no potatoes, no vegetables (except something cut into a fancy shape that you’re meant to look at rather than eat.).

What I’m trying to says is that if I went out to a restaurant at home then I’d have a starter and a main course, but if you did that at The Eldorado, you’d walk away hungry. If you wanted something like a burger and fries, you could stay in and order from the room service menu – but I like to eat out when I’m on holiday, and besides, I didn’t want fast food at night. I was looking for something a bit more nutritious and substantial, without having to have almost half a dozen courses. (By the way I only weight 126 pounds – so it’s not like I have an enormous appetite!!)

I should mention that I was surprised that all the restaurants did the same kind of food. I booked the hotel believing that we’d have the choice of eating in 6 very different speciality restaurants - an Italian, a Mexican, an International, an Asian, a fondue, a grill and what ever La Isla is supposed to be. Every restaurant was very nice, and we never had a bad meal, but with the exception of Kampi (which is the Asian) and La Fondue all the restaurants served the same kind of thing.

I was disappointed that there were no traditional pasta dishes in the Italian, in fact there was a very limited selection of pasta, and most of it was unnecessarily fancy. The rest of the menu was just the same as everywhere else. The food at the grill has never seen a grill – there were no juicy steaks etc just “Medallions of Beef,” which were pan fried, not grilled. But the most disappointing thing of all was that the Mexican restaurant was closed and will remain closed for the foreseeable future – we didn’t eat any Mexican food during our entire two week stay in the country!

As for the candle lit dinner – the £100 ($200) extra you have to pay really took the romance out of the whole thing for us. When you’ve already paid a handsome price for all your food and all your drinks how can the hotel justify charging so much for the pleasure of sitting on the beach to eat? (Ocean front rooms and above have the candle lit dinner included for couples celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon.)

Anyway, moan over – I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who has booked and is now reading this while suffering from palpitations, I just think that it’s better to know these things before you go so that you won’t be disappointed.

We only did two little trips while we were there, as the excursions were all really expensive. We took a taxi to Playa del Carmen and we went on the Coba Maya Experience.

I personally wouldn’t recommend Playa Del Carmen because I didn’t like the way that the shop keepers kept harassing passers by to go into their shops. I’ve experienced this before in Egypt, but over there they did it in a funny way, shouting out “Asda price” etc to UK passers by. In Mexico they kept telling us to “stop being rude” even though we politely said “no thank you.” Once you went into their shops they were reluctant to let you leave if you didn’t buy anything – and I found the shops quite expensive. In fact, both silver and leather is cheaper in the UK.

I am quite a gentle person, and I hate confrontation – so Playa might be your kind of place if you’re not afraid to stand up for yourself!! I got talking to a couple who said they’d had a really enjoyable shopping trip to Cancun – so maybe that’s the place to go if you’re a softie like me….

The Coba Mayan Experience was amazing and I’d highly recommend this little adventure. First of all you’re taken to the jungle where you abseil down a rock face. Next you take a zip wire across a chasm, then it’s onto an under ground Cenote for a swim. After lunch you head to Coba to see the ancient Mayan ruins, the only site where you can climb the large pyramid. The trip cost $128 each, which is about £65 – and I thought it was value for money.

Finally, the weather... It was amazing! Very hot and sunny every day, except for one day when hurricane Ike passed by. On that day it was gloomy and rained, but by the following morning the sun was out again...

All in all, we had a lovely holiday, and the good far outweighed the bad. Would I go back to the EDR? Probably not, but I’ll always think fondly of our Mexican Adventure.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bambiex
Reviewed 9 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at Eldorado Royale in June 2006 for 2 weeks...NB:before the change of management

On arriving at the hotel we were greeted by friendly staff and as the hotel is a completely all inclusive there was no need to wear the ridiculous yellow bands that some hotels smack on your wrists. The reception area is very grand witha huge water feature and floor to ceiling cream marble. All fully air conditioned with champagne to greet you at the door. This is there every day so if you are off out and fancy a quick glass then you can just help yoursleve... delicious!

The view from the reception of the resort is incredible, beautifully manicured lawns and pathways of water making their way down to the ocean. Two storey villas are white washed each with a balcony and hammock. We stayed on a ground floor villa without ocean view, you have to pay extra for this but we spent quite a bit of time on our balcony and looking back would have preferred a sea view. However the lawns are beautiful and with peacocks around the grounds and iguanas being inquisitive there is always something to watch.

The rooms were huge with a massive king size four poster bed, safe, huge TV with sky, mini bar re stocked daily (inc. in all inclusive) the bathroom wasn't what I would describe as 5* with the shower a bit ropey... but was always cleaned to a high standard. The Jacuzzi in the bedroom is a nice touch and ample big enough for two! Outside of the room is a terrace or balcony with a hammock and loungers that were nice to enjoy the sunset on and just relax and read a book.

There are quite a few pools dotted around the complex. The main pool is normally fairly busy with lots of activities inc. volley ball etc. Hoever they keep all activities in one pool so if u are wanting to relax there are plenty of other places to chill out. Our favourite pool was one behind the main pool, this had a swim up bar that was always quiet and excellend attentive staff. Also there was an area in the pool with sun loungers in so you could keep cool in the pool whilst sun bathing. The cocktails and drinks are premium branded but only if u specifically ask. e.g. vodka and tonic is unlikely to get you smirnoff unless u ask for it. Near the Health bar there is another pool that has matresses on the loungers, this is also a nice pool but no booze at the health bar.. although between 3-5 they do serve afternoon tea, whihc is very nice.

The sea does have sand bags that could be considered to be unsightly, but they didn't really bother us. The beach is dotted with four poster beach beds and hammocks along with palm trees. The sea is a bit disappointing and the snorkeling there isn't that great. If u do snorkel I would stongly recommend a trip to Xel Ha, the hotel will provide you with lunch to take if you request this to save you buying food there.

The spa at Eldorado was lovely we had a couples sunrise massage on the beach, which are in specific spa huts. The massage was gorgeous and one of the best I have ever had. I also had a manicure that lasted the whole holiday.

There are LOADS of restuarants to choose from at Eldorado and you really are spoilt for choice, we didn't have a problem getting into any of the restuarants. Although we did wait until the second week until we ate in the Fondue restuarant- which has a lovely atmosphere. The food across the resort was outstanding, never have we eaten so many fantastic meals. The highlights inc. the fresh sushi at the japanese resturant, the Tiramasu at the Italian and the nachos in the mexican! There really is something for everyone. One thing we didnt bother with was dinner on the beach where you were charged extra for the priviledge...however there is a restuarant right on the beach with beautiful lighting where you can hear the violinist playing to the beach eaters...

With plenty to do, lovely food and a nice room we loved our holiday...for the money it was excellent. However I would say it was more of a 4* than 5*

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple