4,392 results
All reviewshavana moontime shareplaya del carmentimeshare presentationbeautiful resortblue fishgreen breakrented a cargrand blissplunge poolsales pitchbedroom suiterci exchangeshuttle servicewine bartimeshare ownersresort fee
Reviewed 7 June 2015

This was our second stay at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. It was absolutely fantastic. The hotel staff, restaurant staff, cleaning staff, transportation staff, as well as the grounds keeping staff, went out of their way to make you feel well welcome. Without exception, you were always greeted by them.

The grounds are gorgeous: so lush, tropical, manicured lawns, beautiful flowers. Paradise!

The rooms were beautifully furnished with an equipped kitchen. The rooms are cleaned daily.

The food in the restaurants was very good and eye appealing. Of course, menu prices are not cheap. Nothing is there! We had very slow room service pizza one night and it was good.

We said NO to the "Owner Review" (nothing more than a sales pitch) and saved ourselves much frustration and wasted time.

Yes, there is a lot of walking to the beach, etc, but the wooden walkways are marked (although sometimes in a very confusing manner!). We stayed in GM Building 4 and it was a 12 minute walk to the beach. We rarely used the shuttles.

We loved the Grand Mayan pool and of course, the huge pool.

Some cons:

Buildings need to be numbered as you are returning FROM THE BEACH or POOL. They all look the same!

I remember when the "beds" by the pool were free. It is now $30 to rent one for a day. (I know that if you spend $30 that day on food or drink, the fee goes away. But still.)

Slow, slow, slow room service.

All in all, we cannot wait until our next visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a THIRD floor unit in buildings 1-4 (Grand Mayan)
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank luke47
Reviewed 6 June 2015

Beautiful property, friendliest staff and the amenities were great. Wonderful facial at the Spa with a great time in the hot tub for women only. Restaurants on site are pretty good Room service is dreadful. Min one hour bordering on two hour wait. People seemed puzzled by the fact I was there by myself..in fact Havanna Moon did not want to seat me even with a ton of tables open! They told me to come back in 35-45 minutes if I insisted on a table for one. Did not go back. Overall I felt safe, welcomed and cared for by 90% of the staff. I'd certainly go back and if you have children they will have a blast with the over sized beach games and wonderful pools

Room Tip: I was in a condo on the 3rd floor of the MAYAN JUNGLE facilities and they are wonderful
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
6  Thank camrev1
Reviewed 4 June 2015

I stayed at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. It was absolutely fantastic. The hotel staff, restaurant staff, cleaning staff, transportation staff, as well as the grounds keeping staff, went out of their way to make you feel well welcome. The rooms were excellent , and cleaned daily. The food in the restaurants was delicious and eye appealing. IWe did not get to them all. The aura was so relaxing. The one bedroom suite was spacious and nicely decorated. I cannot wait until my next visit. The pool is in a class of it's own. I hope to back several times.

Stayed: May 2015
6  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed 4 June 2015

I just visited the Grand Mayan and it's really a nice resort, clean and good service. The presentation was long and they say they are not a timeshare but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they are, whatever it is it's nice. I read the negative reviews and wonder where these people were visiting and looked at the dates which were mostly a few years ago. Did this resort change ownership or something because the most current reviews are much different. I cannot stay anything bad about the resort because it is very beautiful, you do have to catch the shuttle unless you enjoy walking, the food was good and the service was really good. I would come back to the resort again to vacation.

Stayed: June 2015
3  Thank marie b
Reviewed 4 June 2015

I went to this hotel with my wife and my parents in law and we had an overall great experience. The property is fantastic, the building we were in was in the "Jungle" and the surroundings were beautiful, they really take care of every detail! Room was big with a kitchen, Jacuzzi and even a small patio and little pool outside. Service in general was great.
This would be a great hotel for families with kids since they have tons of space, pools and places to explore.
I will also mention a couple things to consider:
1.- The property is huge and the buildings are not close together which is a good thing, but on the downside you have to take little golf karts to get to the beach and the pools, it is not too bad since they pass by every 10 min or so, but it is something to consider.
2.- The beach is not their strongest point, there is a lot of coral reefs which make if uncomfortable to get in and out. Although if you walk for a bit you can also find a nicer beach to go into. On the bright side there is tons of pool space to make up for this :-)

The hotel is about 10km from Playa del Carmen downtown which is very nice and also it is closer to Xcaret and Xel-Ha compared to Cancun hotels which is something you may want to consider in case you want to visit these beautiful parks!

In general a great experience and I would definitely take my family to this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family