“Fabulous family holiday”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We have just returned from a fabulous family holiday at Dreams La Romana. The resort is large and beautiful with staff constantly work on the grounds and property to keep it in tip top condition.

We stayed in the family preferred section and also upgraded to butler service. Our butlers Danilo & Danny D we're the best!! Nothing was too much trouble for these two they made us dinner reservations every night, delivered pizza & nachos to our sun bed when asked and much more always with a smile. The highlight was a fabulous dinner on the pier they arranged for our for last night, this was unexpected and a really special evening for the 3 of us. I would really recommend trying the butler service ... thank you guys you were amazing!!!

We spent our days by the family preferred pool which is quieter and feels like a smaller hotel within the larger hotel giving the best of both worlds, quiet relaxing pool but the option to join as much or little as you like. Sun beds were available at any time although our butlers reserved ours daily in a nice shady spot. Our 11 year old daughter found it easy to make friends and enjoyed the freedom to be able to visit restaurants and other pools with her new friends. One disappointment was we never got to try the butler beach area, there was a large wedding party that had managed to block it off for a whole 2 weeks which was a shame as we would have loved to experience it.

We didn't join in many of the activities but those we did were great fun especially the foam parties and Mexican fiesta.

All of the restaurants we tried were great, we ate in all except the french and a little trattorias that was next to the main pool. Our favourite meals were the dinner on the pier, the steak and lobster were fabulous and the setting beautiful our best meal of the whole holiday. The teppanyaki at himitsu, my daughter loved and we went twice we also had a la carte here and it was really nice, tempura shrimp in oceana were to die for and the mousaka from olio was also very good. Jungle was a great experience, unique setting and great food, the little beef pasty things were lovely as was the suckling pig, I'd definitely recommend you try it. I feel awful because I can't remember any names of the wait staff but they were all attentive and friendly in the a la cartes, the buffet however was a bit slow there seems to be a staff shortage in that area or lack of direction because you either had to ask for water, coffee etc or you'd be offered the same thing twice by different people within minutes.

A few staff members that stood out for us were Paola the econcierge who answered all my pre visit questions and arranged my butler upgrade, thank you Paola. The already mentioned Danilo & Danny D our fabulous butlers, Emilia & Christina at the preferred pool bar great drinks ladies and always with a smile, the security guard at the preferred family pool who's name I didn't get and the fabulous Chester in the preferred lounge also Robinson our teppanakyi chef.... you were all amazing.

I can only think of a few negatives/improvements/ suggestions, none of which would stop me returning.

The literature in our room was out of date, the room service menu had items they no longer offer and the restaurants listed a Mexican that isn't available anymore. It would be nice if these were kept more up to date along with something in room highlighting the preferred perks which would be useful too as these seem to vary between different dreams hotels.

As others have mentioned the infinity pool with the swim up bar needs resurfacing and there is an unpleasant smell near the bar, like vomit, which should be addressed. We only went in this pool twice because of these issues.

The main pool feels very bare and concrete unlike the beautifully landscaped preferred pool and could really do with some parasols for shade.

The pillows were awful and I woke several times every night although I now realise as preferred I should have been offered a pillow menu which I will definitely ask for next time.

The "upgraded mini bar" for preferred doesn't seem to be any different from the non preferred we were expecting snacks in the room daily and maybe some spirit miniatures which they do at the Mexican dreams I have visited, but it was just beer, water and soft drinks.

Long trousers for men in the Italian seems pointless when ladies can turn up in very short shorts! I would relax the dress code to smart shorts for men, this is the only reason we didn't revisit the Italian, it was too hot and my husband was uncomfortable in long trousers.

The music around the family preferred pool is awful, I think it's supposed to sound like a relaxing spa but it's a pool with kids and would benefit from a little more atmosphere I know it's supposed to be relaxing but real songs played quietly would be better. Parents don't want to sit with headphones and listen to their own because then they can't hear their kids in the pool.

We went over to the adult preferred section one day and were surprised to see they had nicer sun beds some Bali beds and a better snack selection in their preferred lounge, these upgrades would be welcome in the family section after all we've all paid the preferred premium. Families with younger children don't always have the freedom to use the adult pool area for these extra luxuries.

Finally I love a cocktail but with only a couple of exceptions they are just too sweet and sickly so after a few days I stayed away and drank local champagne or beer.

As a family we never return to the same hotel twice, liking to try something different each holiday, but despite the points above we would definitely visit again and can't wait to return.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
10  Thank ddriverKent
There are newer reviews for Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had been to Cancun dozens of times but never the Dominican. May never go back to Cancun after this trip. Staff, rooms, entertainment, food, beach, pools all 5 star!

Upgrading room to preferred is well worth the expense for access to Chester S in the preferred club lounge alone.

Butler service probably an unnecessary upgrade.

Pablo Picasso in the entertainment team is the glue that keeps everything together throughout the day.

Check out lunch on beach most days. Fresh cooked surprises including catch of the day, tacos, clams, etc .

Food at all restaurants was good to great. Portions small so order all courses. The enforce the need for men over the age of 12 to wear pants in French and Italian restaurant with no exception. If you forget pants you can eat outdoor from both menus just outside those restaurants if you buy a bottle of wine. If you use your $10 coupon you can charge a bottle to your room for $25 and up.

Store expensive. Bring rafts, goggles, and extra sunscreen. Or pay $32 for an extra bottle when you get here :)

There is some excursion and time share selling going on but much less pushy than Mexico . For the most part when you said you weren't interested they backed off. One or two nights per week they have some vendors in to sell jewelry, statues, rum. Stay away from the jewelry people very pushy and manipulative.

From US we came for 8 days Wednesday - Wednesday first week of August through cheap Caribbean deal on spirit airlines. Two preferred rooms for under $6000. If price is right will come back again next year same time without any hesitation.

Room Tip: Preferred club rooms are further from the nighlife and day time noise.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank kuberg
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I won't bore anyone with a long review but this hotel is not worth the amount we paid...a total of $1,700 for four people for two nights - $213 per person per night (two rooms).

The hotel is dated. Our room included a broken safe, broken lamp and a damaged rug. The bathroom emitted a strong odor of raw sewer.

What disappointed us the most was the food. We tried several restaurants and we were shocked at the quality of food. It's difficult to describe how bad the food was but we are still in disbelief at the overall quality, lack of flavor and ingredients being utilized.

As "preferred" customers, we brought all of these issues up to the resort staff. Little was done. They claimed they would come to the room to personally take pictures of the damaged items (which never happened) and informed us that a manager would meet us prior to dinner (which also never happened).

I have absolutely no idea how this resort has achieved such positive reviews. The big take away from this review: don't book this resort, especially if you enjoy food...

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank IberianNomad
Mr Jorge M, Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear IberianNomad:

Thank you for choosing our wonderful resort as your holiday destination and for taking the time to review our resort.

Overall we are quite surprised and sorry to learn about these situations you have encountered at our resort and that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.

Must we add we unfortunately our staff did not receive the complete report you have now shared with us, however it would have been great to have the opportunity to assist with this other areas of opportunity.

Please rest assured your comments have not been overlooked and we thank you once again as this will only help us continue to offer the very best for our wonderful and much valued guests.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I travelled with my husband and two children 18 and 14. We had high expectations for this hotel from looking at the photos and previous trip adviser reviews. Through no fault of Thomson's we had to wait on the coach outside of the airport for an hour with no explanation from the rep. We knew why as we could hear the family talk about their missing luggage. So not a great start. The drive to the hotel was ok. On arrival I was a little disappointed as there wasn't much of a welcome , no fresh cold towel or cold drink. It took along time to sort out our room situation after already emailing ahead of our request . It seemed like the hardest thing for them to sort out. We really could have done without this hassle. The rooms were ok , dim light in the bathroom and the air con at night was so loud. But the rest of the hotel that we saw was immaculate. We loved the beach, not much to see snorkelling wise but the water is a beautiful blue and the sand is lovely apart from the cigarette buts that are continually dropped by people on sun loungers . Surely the hotel can come up with a solution to this? Our favourite place to eat at lunch was the Seaside Grill (Victor & Cornelio were lovely waiters) , the view is amazing and the food really nice.
Favourite places to eat in the evening would be Oceana , Himitsu(Carlos M so happy and Angel) and World Café (Benny and Joel).Almost forgot the French restaurant was in another league to the other restaurant's we tried, Willy our waiter was just brilliant.The service for us was always perfect with the right amount of friendliness and professionalism from the waiters and front of house. We never had to wait long for anything. We loved walking up to the beach bar where Edwin would always have a smile and remember you and what you liked to drink. Elizabeth who would walk up and down the beach always happy and caring. We loved having a drink outside of the lobby after the beach and Louredez and actually all of the bar staff were happy and friendly.
We found the beach to be perfect but there was a lot going on all the time which is ideal for some people but I wanted to relax a bit more, the entertainment staff never hassled us it's just it was a very active place. Yes we could have moved further away down the beach but we liked where we were . We did the Caribbean cruising trip which we all loved!!! Victor talked so passionately about this trip that we had to go on it and Carlos and the team on the boat and catamaran were spot on. My daughter whose 18 loved the ease of making friends and the nightlife in the hotel. Something we haven't come across before on previous holidays. Not sure I liked it. My son whose 14 didn't want to go off and make friends but he was ok with us for the most part! When he looked at the football pitch he was really disappointed as it was away from the main hotel and was a sad excuse for a pitch what a shame, probably a good way of teenagers to make more friends.
As other people have said it's the people who work at Dreams La Romana who make this hotel, they are so warm and friendly . I think if you give a bit you get it back.
One regret I spent nearly two weeks wishing I would get up and do the aerobic dance class in the sea, I didn't want to do it on my own! On the penultimate day I plucked up the courage and did it and loved it ! Why I didn't do it before I don't know but try it at least once. Angela and Pablo Picasso and all the team work sooooo hard , really they do .
So a great holiday and memories but definitely room for improvement.
Ps if you ever get to meet Yesenia you are in for a treat she is everything you would want from a front of house member of staff she is perfect !
PPS Please serve your hot food hot !
My daughter is nut allergic and every holiday comes with this worry , we were told by Dion to ask the concierge to type a letter to share with the restaurants . This was brilliant, the only time it didn't work was in the World Café when the chef didn't understand but yet again Yesenia came to our aid and asked a head chef Starling to help which he did , it was an honour for him to personally make Amy a pasta dish so we knew it was nut free ! great service thank you
love Shelley

Stayed: July 2017
6  Thank Shelley E
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have just returned from 2 weeks at Dreams La Romana. This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic. We have had a fantastic time. The hotel was lovely, the weather really hot (and very humid) and the beach was great. This was the best snorkelling I have ever done and all you had to do was walk into the sea from the beach. So many fist swimming around and if you venture the other side of the roped off swimming area there were loads of fish. I saw a shoal of squid one day and a massive ray swimming just in front of me. Just wow. We enjoyed the food, happy going to the buffet but also enjoyed the steak restaurant, the italian and the oriental. The infinity pool was lovely to relax in and cool down and the sea was beautiful, so calm and warm.The rooms were good, lovely to be in the air conditioning and the staff were all so friendly. We all left saying we would love to go back there.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
12.1 km away
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#12 of 112 in Punta Cana
56.9 km away
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!