We have just returned from a fabulous family holiday at Dreams La Romana. The resort is large and beautiful with staff constantly work on the grounds and property to keep it in tip top condition.
We stayed in the family preferred section and also upgraded to butler service. Our butlers Danilo & Danny D we're the best!! Nothing was too much trouble for these two they made us dinner reservations every night, delivered pizza & nachos to our sun bed when asked and much more always with a smile. The highlight was a fabulous dinner on the pier they arranged for our for last night, this was unexpected and a really special evening for the 3 of us. I would really recommend trying the butler service ... thank you guys you were amazing!!!
We spent our days by the family preferred pool which is quieter and feels like a smaller hotel within the larger hotel giving the best of both worlds, quiet relaxing pool but the option to join as much or little as you like. Sun beds were available at any time although our butlers reserved ours daily in a nice shady spot. Our 11 year old daughter found it easy to make friends and enjoyed the freedom to be able to visit restaurants and other pools with her new friends. One disappointment was we never got to try the butler beach area, there was a large wedding party that had managed to block it off for a whole 2 weeks which was a shame as we would have loved to experience it.
We didn't join in many of the activities but those we did were great fun especially the foam parties and Mexican fiesta.
All of the restaurants we tried were great, we ate in all except the french and a little trattorias that was next to the main pool. Our favourite meals were the dinner on the pier, the steak and lobster were fabulous and the setting beautiful our best meal of the whole holiday. The teppanyaki at himitsu, my daughter loved and we went twice we also had a la carte here and it was really nice, tempura shrimp in oceana were to die for and the mousaka from olio was also very good. Jungle was a great experience, unique setting and great food, the little beef pasty things were lovely as was the suckling pig, I'd definitely recommend you try it. I feel awful because I can't remember any names of the wait staff but they were all attentive and friendly in the a la cartes, the buffet however was a bit slow there seems to be a staff shortage in that area or lack of direction because you either had to ask for water, coffee etc or you'd be offered the same thing twice by different people within minutes.
A few staff members that stood out for us were Paola the econcierge who answered all my pre visit questions and arranged my butler upgrade, thank you Paola. The already mentioned Danilo & Danny D our fabulous butlers, Emilia & Christina at the preferred pool bar great drinks ladies and always with a smile, the security guard at the preferred family pool who's name I didn't get and the fabulous Chester in the preferred lounge also Robinson our teppanakyi chef.... you were all amazing.
I can only think of a few negatives/improvements/ suggestions, none of which would stop me returning.
The literature in our room was out of date, the room service menu had items they no longer offer and the restaurants listed a Mexican that isn't available anymore. It would be nice if these were kept more up to date along with something in room highlighting the preferred perks which would be useful too as these seem to vary between different dreams hotels.
As others have mentioned the infinity pool with the swim up bar needs resurfacing and there is an unpleasant smell near the bar, like vomit, which should be addressed. We only went in this pool twice because of these issues.
The main pool feels very bare and concrete unlike the beautifully landscaped preferred pool and could really do with some parasols for shade.
The pillows were awful and I woke several times every night although I now realise as preferred I should have been offered a pillow menu which I will definitely ask for next time.
The "upgraded mini bar" for preferred doesn't seem to be any different from the non preferred we were expecting snacks in the room daily and maybe some spirit miniatures which they do at the Mexican dreams I have visited, but it was just beer, water and soft drinks.
Long trousers for men in the Italian seems pointless when ladies can turn up in very short shorts! I would relax the dress code to smart shorts for men, this is the only reason we didn't revisit the Italian, it was too hot and my husband was uncomfortable in long trousers.
The music around the family preferred pool is awful, I think it's supposed to sound like a relaxing spa but it's a pool with kids and would benefit from a little more atmosphere I know it's supposed to be relaxing but real songs played quietly would be better. Parents don't want to sit with headphones and listen to their own because then they can't hear their kids in the pool.
We went over to the adult preferred section one day and were surprised to see they had nicer sun beds some Bali beds and a better snack selection in their preferred lounge, these upgrades would be welcome in the family section after all we've all paid the preferred premium. Families with younger children don't always have the freedom to use the adult pool area for these extra luxuries.
Finally I love a cocktail but with only a couple of exceptions they are just too sweet and sickly so after a few days I stayed away and drank local champagne or beer.
As a family we never return to the same hotel twice, liking to try something different each holiday, but despite the points above we would definitely visit again and can't wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst a world of pristine beaches, lush tropical jungle and turquoise sea on the southeast coast of the Dominican Republic, Dreams La Romana is the perfect resort for singles, couples and families. Unlimited Luxury Enjoy the many amenities of Unlimited-Luxury at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, where nearly everything is included. Every gourmet meal, every fine wine and cocktail, and so much more. At Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, these amenities include: •Elegant accommodations with incredible views •Gourmet dining at eleven specialty restaurants •24-hour room service •Unlimited top-shelf spirits at seven festive bars and lounges •All day and nighttime activities and entertainment •Option to upgrade to Preferred Club privileges •Free WiFi and international calling with Unlimited Connectivity (coming soon) •Full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks •Unlimited natural fruit juices and soft drinks •Unlimited international and domestic top-shelf spirits •Complimentary mini-bar refreshed daily with soft drinks, juices, bottled water and beer •24-hour room service •Specialty restaurants with no reservations required •Themed parties, oceanfront bars and entertainment venues •Pristine swimming pools •Pool and beach wait service •Endless daytime activities and live nightly entertainment •Explorer's Club for kids with supervised activities •Core Zone Teens Club with teen activities •Fitness center •No wristbands required •All taxes and gratuities Unlimited Top-Shelf Spirits Enjoy international and domestic top-shelf spirits, fine wines and ice-cold beer at any of our seven bars and lounges. Then keep the party going with 24-hour room service and your own complimentary mini-bar. All of your favorite drinks are served without limit or expected gratuities at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa. World-Class Spa Indulge and invigorate your senses with a day in the Dreams Spa by Pevonia. Spanning more than 21,000 square feet, the on-site spa at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa offers a la carte treatment options ranging from the traditional to transcendent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams La Romana Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Hotel Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa Dominican Republic/Bayahibe