“Are You Kidding Me?”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I won't bore anyone with a long review but this hotel is not worth the amount we paid...a total of $1,700 for four people for two nights - $213 per person per night (two rooms).

The hotel is dated. Our room included a broken safe, broken lamp and a damaged rug. The bathroom emitted a strong odor of raw sewer.

What disappointed us the most was the food. We tried several restaurants and we were shocked at the quality of food. It's difficult to describe how bad the food was but we are still in disbelief at the overall quality, lack of flavor and ingredients being utilized.

As "preferred" customers, we brought all of these issues up to the resort staff. Little was done. They claimed they would come to the room to personally take pictures of the damaged items (which never happened) and informed us that a manager would meet us prior to dinner (which also never happened).

I have absolutely no idea how this resort has achieved such positive reviews. The big take away from this review: don't book this resort, especially if you enjoy food...

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
10  Thank IberianNomad
Mr Jorge M, Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Dear IberianNomad:

Thank you for choosing our wonderful resort as your holiday destination and for taking the time to review our resort.

Overall we are quite surprised and sorry to learn about these situations you have encountered at our resort and that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.

Must we add we unfortunately our staff did not receive the complete report you have now shared with us, however it would have been great to have the opportunity to assist with this other areas of opportunity.

Please rest assured your comments have not been overlooked and we thank you once again as this will only help us continue to offer the very best for our wonderful and much valued guests.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (11,416)

Reviewed 17 August 2017

I travelled with my husband and two children 18 and 14. We had high expectations for this hotel from looking at the photos and previous trip adviser reviews. Through no fault of Thomson's we had to wait on the coach outside of the airport for an hour with no explanation from the rep. We knew why as we could hear the family talk about their missing luggage. So not a great start. The drive to the hotel was ok. On arrival I was a little disappointed as there wasn't much of a welcome , no fresh cold towel or cold drink. It took along time to sort out our room situation after already emailing ahead of our request . It seemed like the hardest thing for them to sort out. We really could have done without this hassle. The rooms were ok , dim light in the bathroom and the air con at night was so loud. But the rest of the hotel that we saw was immaculate. We loved the beach, not much to see snorkelling wise but the water is a beautiful blue and the sand is lovely apart from the cigarette buts that are continually dropped by people on sun loungers . Surely the hotel can come up with a solution to this? Our favourite place to eat at lunch was the Seaside Grill (Victor & Cornelio were lovely waiters) , the view is amazing and the food really nice.
Favourite places to eat in the evening would be Oceana , Himitsu(Carlos M so happy and Angel) and World Café (Benny and Joel).Almost forgot the French restaurant was in another league to the other restaurant's we tried, Willy our waiter was just brilliant.The service for us was always perfect with the right amount of friendliness and professionalism from the waiters and front of house. We never had to wait long for anything. We loved walking up to the beach bar where Edwin would always have a smile and remember you and what you liked to drink. Elizabeth who would walk up and down the beach always happy and caring. We loved having a drink outside of the lobby after the beach and Louredez and actually all of the bar staff were happy and friendly.
We found the beach to be perfect but there was a lot going on all the time which is ideal for some people but I wanted to relax a bit more, the entertainment staff never hassled us it's just it was a very active place. Yes we could have moved further away down the beach but we liked where we were . We did the Caribbean cruising trip which we all loved!!! Victor talked so passionately about this trip that we had to go on it and Carlos and the team on the boat and catamaran were spot on. My daughter whose 18 loved the ease of making friends and the nightlife in the hotel. Something we haven't come across before on previous holidays. Not sure I liked it. My son whose 14 didn't want to go off and make friends but he was ok with us for the most part! When he looked at the football pitch he was really disappointed as it was away from the main hotel and was a sad excuse for a pitch what a shame, probably a good way of teenagers to make more friends.
As other people have said it's the people who work at Dreams La Romana who make this hotel, they are so warm and friendly . I think if you give a bit you get it back.
One regret I spent nearly two weeks wishing I would get up and do the aerobic dance class in the sea, I didn't want to do it on my own! On the penultimate day I plucked up the courage and did it and loved it ! Why I didn't do it before I don't know but try it at least once. Angela and Pablo Picasso and all the team work sooooo hard , really they do .
So a great holiday and memories but definitely room for improvement.
Ps if you ever get to meet Yesenia you are in for a treat she is everything you would want from a front of house member of staff she is perfect !
PPS Please serve your hot food hot !
My daughter is nut allergic and every holiday comes with this worry , we were told by Dion to ask the concierge to type a letter to share with the restaurants . This was brilliant, the only time it didn't work was in the World Café when the chef didn't understand but yet again Yesenia came to our aid and asked a head chef Starling to help which he did , it was an honour for him to personally make Amy a pasta dish so we knew it was nut free ! great service thank you
love Shelley

Stayed: July 2017
7  Thank Shelley E
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We have just returned from 2 weeks at Dreams La Romana. This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic. We have had a fantastic time. The hotel was lovely, the weather really hot (and very humid) and the beach was great. This was the best snorkelling I have ever done and all you had to do was walk into the sea from the beach. So many fist swimming around and if you venture the other side of the roped off swimming area there were loads of fish. I saw a shoal of squid one day and a massive ray swimming just in front of me. Just wow. We enjoyed the food, happy going to the buffet but also enjoyed the steak restaurant, the italian and the oriental. The infinity pool was lovely to relax in and cool down and the sea was beautiful, so calm and warm.The rooms were good, lovely to be in the air conditioning and the staff were all so friendly. We all left saying we would love to go back there.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim J
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I just had our destination wedding at Dreams La Romana with 40 friends and family members. We were trying to choose an affordable resort for our guests. It far exceeded my expectations and we had a blast! The resort was very nice. It was not the nicest I've experienced, but it was a great value for the price and all of our guests were happy. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The drinks were great. Premium liquors were only at selected bars. The a la carte restaurants were good, but the service was usually slow. (Granted we were often in a large group of 10-14 for dinner, but they didn't seem to be accustomed to seating large parties.) The grounds were immaculately kept and the beach was beautiful. We stayed in the honeymoon suite overlooking the preferred club pool, which was adults only. Our suite was huge and very nice with a rain shower, separate bath, double sinks, 2 toilets, a living room, a bedroom, and a large balcony. Junior at the preferred club pool bar was awesome, as was the concierge and bartenders eat the preferred club. Our wedding was at a beautiful garden gazebo overlooking the ocean. Everything was perfect. Our wedding coordinator, Bibia Marte, was incredible and made sure every detail went to plan. The officiant was great. All of the wait staff and the DJ were also wonderful. We can't wait to come back!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank StephEdw44
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

My experience at Dreams La Romana for my sister's wedding was amazing and unforgettable! The resort is beautiful, well maintained and wonderfully staffed. From the minute you set foot on the property you are treated like royalty; we were greeted with champagne and "welcome home" . There was never a moment that I felt unwelcome or lost, everyone from chefs to the front desk were courteous and helpful. Everyone makes an effort to smile and say "hola" even if just passing quickly on a sidewalk. All of the staff is incredibly polite, attentive and aim to please.

Olman, the activities leader (Zumba, yoga, aerobics, games) was amazing; always enthusiastic and kept everyone laughing and enjoying themselves through out the day. Bienvenido, Leonardo, and Joseph from the World Cafe buffet restaurant were so kind, professional, fun and accommodated our large group whenever we came to dine. Blas, bartender from the lobby main bar and Omar, from the poolside cabana also left me with such a great impression. I like how everyone will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and happy. The resort as a whole is breathtaking, but the world class service is what really stuck with me.

As an American, it is in our culture to tip, after all you are being served. Although it is not necessary here because the resort is all inclusive, it is definitely still greatly appreciated and the staff of the resort are so helpful and genuine that I feel they deserve it. They are working hard and always smiling even in the hot, non air conditioned areas of the resort like the lobby and kitchen. Bring plenty of ones and fives (USD) to tip. The Dominican Republic is one of the most beautiful places on earth but it is still a developing country that relies heavily on tourism.

They have 7 restaurants open daily, so there's something for everyone. I preferred the buffet and Japanese restaurant because I don't eat meat or dairy so I was able have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. A lot of veggie hot dishes are seasoned with pork so be careful! The hostesses are sure to ask about food allergies upon entering every restaurant. Also a 24-7 Coco's cafe for small snacks and coffee drinks i.e. Starbucks.

The beaches and pools get crowded fast and people like to reserve the lounge chairs by putting their belongings on them; which I did not find fair or reasonable at first considering these people would not be anywhere on the beach or at the pools at the time. They would wake up early like 7am and stake out a prime spot and hog it all day even though they were doing activities or at the cafes eating. Oh well, just go early and do the same. No point in arguing with them because everyone does it.

Aside from the unlimited alcoholic drinks there's plenty of coconuts and bottled Dasani water on the resort. Do not drink the sink water! Water in the restaurants are purified, filtered and safe.

Oh just a said note for the ladies bring your own feminine products, a small box of tampons is outrageous!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank lillian l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
4.3 km away
Be Live Collection Canoa
#12 of 16 in Bayahibe
56.9 km away
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!