All reviewsbooked hotelroman bridgeeasy accessminute walktownlakesbase
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We spent 2 days at Cangas De Onis region .Very warm people , very confortable rooms and pewrfect location and environement . Recommended as a" base" for daily travel to the Picos and Coast ( lakes and Covadonga) . Parking available all time.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LisbonRomao
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We spent on night (tried for two but they were booked out) in May in the Granda. Its a very short walk (300mtrs) out of town on the Prestin side of the 'Roman' Bridge. Warmly greeted by the owner and given a run thru of what was to see around town and the Picos and Coast over a coffee. Very comfortable modern rooms and bathroom. Cant think of any negatives, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms are 'behind' the hotel so have similar views and are away from traffic
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank CPHarkin
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife and I were looking for a central location to take the children and enjoy the best of Northern Spain during a one-week summer break and chanced upon this new and thoroughly modern hotel just on the outskirts of Cangas DeOnis. At first we were a bit worried that it was not located in the middle of town, but it turned out to be a great benefit, because it was much quieter and picturesque and only a short walk from the Roman Bridge and the hustle and bustle of central Cangas. The staff were lovely and helpful, the rooms clean and modern, and the proprietor clearly quite proud of the extensive work done to ensure that the hotel was built with the most modern 'sustainable' materials and energy-efficient conveniences. The week in Cangas DeOnis was wonderful, a short drive from the shore at Ribadesella, Picos DeEuropa, the nearby mountain lakes, fishing and canoeing. Very convenient bus services from central Cangas up to Covadonga Cathedral and on to the mountain lakes. As regards the hotel itself, immaculate, friendly, helpful staff with a great feel of 'bonhomie' every evening as we and the other guests returned from our day's adventures. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Troy M
Reviewed 3 April 2012

What a wonderful hotel. Not only is it modern & beautiful, but it is energy efficient as well. The rooms are comfortable & the bathrooms are spacious & luxurious. You control the temperature in your own room, something many European hotels can not due. It has a lovely bar downstairs with an expresso machine as well as a very spacious sitting area in the lobby area. It is very close to the center of Cangas de Onis with a lovely stroll that takes you by El Puente Romano on the way to the square. Cangas de Onis is itself a beautiful Spanish town that has great restaurants & bars as well as a very nice shopping area. The hotel staff is friendly & very helpful. They went out of their way to make us feel at home & make sure we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is priced very well & you will not find a better, more modern, comfortable place to spend your vacation in while visiting Asturias. My family was thrilled to be there & we look forward to visiting many more times in the future.

Room Tip: Every room was beautiful but the hotel staff can help you choose the right one for your needs.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Manuel A
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My wife and I just completed a two week driving trip of NW Spain. This is our fourth or fifth trip to northern Spain with our second visit to the Picos de Europa and third trip to Asturias. We were heading to Potes in the Eastern (Cantabrian) Picos and thought it would be nice to spend one additional night in the Asturian Picos. We enjoyed Cangas de Onis quite a bit on our last visit to the Picos notwithstanding a horrible prior hotel experience.

I booked Hotel Granda through www.booking.com because it looked new and fairly luxurious, got reasonably good reviews on that site, and because the hotel characterized its rooms as soundproofed. I also thought its slightly out of town-center location near the Puente Romano with private parking would be a plus. In short I was looking forward to a clean modern attractive quiet room in a quiet location where I could get a good sleep after dinner and a few drinks in town.

Hotel Granda is new and it was very clean (no bedbugs like in my first hotel on my previous trip to Cangas de Onis!) but unfortunately I did not get a tremendously restful sleep and overall I came away feeling disappointed by the hotel, which was only average in most respects. Pictures of the rooms look more attractive than the my room actually was. The white slightly shiny wallpaper in the rooms and dim lighting lent a drab unappealing feeling and the room woodwork still smelled strongly of varnish. Note from pictures that the rooms are in what is essentially like a motel addition to the original mansion, which forms the reception to the hotel.

More importantly, the room was not at all soundproof. To the contrary I heard quite a bit of talking in an adjoining room and the hallway during the one night we stayed in Hotel Granda. Luckily the other guests were not out late or particularly rowdy. In the morning I also heard what sounded like yelling or crying in another room. Some kind of argument I think. The bottom line is that walls in this new hotel are thin. I am sensitive to noise so take my criticism with a grain of salt but I have also been in many hotels where I not been able to hear normal talking through walls or from the hallway.

A few other things. I arrived at the hotel in the mid afternoon, not long after the appointed check in time. Our rate was for a double or twin room. My wife and I typically ask for a matrimonio and I added my standard request to be on a higher floor in a quiet location if possible. I was told that that was not possible because the hotel was fully booked. The room they selected for us was literally the first or second room into the hallway on the ground floor, closest to reception. In my experience this can be the most disturbing room location in a hotel. There are people above you and next to you, everyone on your floor walks past your room and you can hear noise from reception -- often even music playing in reception.

I then went back to reception and asked if everyone had checked in and if not whether they could find us something as far away from reception as possible. They agreed but only moved us a few doors down on the ground floor. I noticed that people continued to check in after us, passing our room with their luggage on the way further down the hallway on the ground floor and as I was back in reception they appeared to check in at least one other older couple in an upstairs double. Giving the hotel the benefit of the doubt the people we saw going upstairs may have had a more expensive room than us. However, the confirmation for my room rate (eur 90) states "The rooms with double beds are attics with large windows and garden or countryside views." As we specified that we wanted a matrimonio we assumed that we would be on an upper floor. There were clearly rooms of the type we booked on the upper floor. I certainly understand getting what is available when you check in late/last but when you check in early most better quality hotels will accommodate your preferences. In fact every hotel we stayed at on our Spain trip with the exception of Hotel Granda put me on a higher floor in a quiet location. I am forced to conclude that the staff simply did not want to accommodate my preference. I don't know that I got bad service specifically but it was certainly not above average customer service.

One other thing about the hotel. It is in the general vicinity of the medieval bridge, the Puente Romano, but it is not at the bridge. It is further down the road away from downtown. It is not a difficult or long walk into town and there is a sidewalk. However keep in mind that after nightfall the path is dark.

In short I was let down by the hotel in several respects. The room rate was not tremendously inexpensive and I did not feel that at the rate we paid was a good value. It was clean and new but neither the service, the room quality, the sleep quality or the location provides a strong incentive to return.

Room Tip: I would check in early and ask what rooms of your type are available at the time of check in. Ask for a single bed vs a twin and make every effort not to get a ground floor room near reception.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends