See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 September 2008

My friends have 2 appartments in this complex that they rent out. I rented out both for a family holiday and with some friends. The smaller 2 bedroom appartment is on the front of the building facing out towards the pool and the other acrost the building to the rear facing to the east of las americas. I really enjoyed my holiday to tenerife! was the first time ive visited spain and the island itself, along with the appartment was ace! I agree that the state of the appartment depends on the owner, next to us was an empty apparment with its doors open and the place trashed, however i was told this has been liek this for a while and its privatly owned therefore nothing can be done! The pool is brilliant as its really deep all the way acrost, with no shallow end. The pool views down the hill towards the beach and a little unknown fact, is that the little windows under the water in the pool are infact windows to the mini nightclub that used to be there! The pool side bar is great for light lunch's or meals, and drinks are reallly cheap! The staff are brillinat and friendly and the supermarket in the complex is also handy.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank lewis_ames06
Reviewed 19 September 2008

My friend booked our apartment at Castalia Vistamar through a friend of a friend, and, having read some of the reviews on here I was very apprehensive about going there. I have to say, I think a lot of what I have read was very unfair. Yes, it's up a steep hill and there are a lot of steps to climb, but if you're sensible and avoid them in the hottest part of the day, and take your time, they're really not that bad.

We had no problems at all with cockroaches - we saw a few around and about, but nothing more than you would expect on any holiday to a country where they live.

The food and service at the pool bar was always fine, no complaints. While we didn't eat at Yesterday's bar in the basement of the complex, we did have fun working our way through the cocktail menu there!

It was no more than a 15 minute stroll down to the main town and beach, and a taxi back was only around 3 or 4 euros. There were several nice cafes (I have to put in a good word for the Deli just down the road where we made to feel very welcome) and restaurants in the area (a bit quiet while we were there, but it was just out of season).

The pool was lovely, always clean and almost every morning there seemed to be someone either cleaning it or doing maintenance work. All the sun loungers were fine too - not all broken as I read on another review.

All in all, I really felt I had to post a review here, as I feel that a lot fo the others I've read are very harsh. I appreciate that a lot of the apartments are privately owned and it's down to who you rent from that determines the condition of your accommodation, but I can honestly say ours was one of the best I've stayed in on holiday. I would be very happy to go back there again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LRJHK
Reviewed 8 November 2007

First of all, this is not a hotel, this is an appartment building. The state of the flat depends on the owner, not the building on its own.

If you are looking for any kind of service, I would recommend that you book a hotel. Booking an appartment in Tenerife without seeing it is always a gamble and the state of the flat will most likely depend on how the previous guests left it. Many owners live off Tenerife and will therefore not be able to control the state of the flat.

I was unlucky at first as well, as some of the flats have not been refurbished since they build the complex, but as I am a longterm tenant, they have now refurbished my flat. My neighbours are letting out their appartment and it looks really nice, so you must have been one of the unlucky ones.

One of the previous reviews said the complex lacks character but I have to disagree. It has a nice permanent population with a large proportion English retirees. This means it feels kinda safe and there is always people around. It is also located in Torviscas or San Eugenio Alta, not Las Americas, which means that you can actually get some sleep at night. To walk down to San Eugenio from the mountain (because it is quite high up) takes about 15-20 minutes. To the beach, 30 min by foot. Some periods of the year, there are more young people about.

The complex has a simple restaurant and a smallish kidney shaped pool. Most appartments have fantastic views over the ocean.

But note to all... this is NOT a hotel, which means that you are booking on your own risk...

Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank mk76
Reviewed 24 May 2006

I stayed in tenerife for three months in the summer of 2004 and this is where i spent the best part of it. My friend an di had a total of three rooms as the first two we stayed in was temporary and the third one was privately owned and we just paid our rent through the reception. They don't ask for a deposit and don't particularly harrass you for the rent even if its two weeks late so no wonder these places get trashed.
There is no maid service, the pool is rotten with paint flaking off and to find a sun lounger thats not broken is a rare treat!

There are some plus points - the little restaurant downstairs is nice and the owners are really friendly as is the receptionist. AND its just a short walk down the hill to the Aquapark and a taxi rank. to be honest though, i wouldn't recommend these apartments to anyone, its like a ghost town with no atmosphere, no entertainment and i only lasted there because it was preferable to staying in cockroach infested 'san rafael' which was our only alternative.

Stayed: August 2004
2  Thank Paradise32195
Reviewed 11 February 2006

This is a terrible complex in a 'dodgy' part of Las Americas. some apartments are privately owned and the owners live there and they are nice and in the best part of the complex. Ours was a tip. Bed covers stank, hair and 'gunge' in bath plug hole and other 'delights'too numerous to mention. Don't go! We stuck it for 3 nights and went and rented somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2006