“Highs and lows at the Morromar (Matagorda)”

Apartamentos THe Morromar
Ranked #35 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
South Kirkby West Yorkshire
“Highs and lows at the Morromar (Matagorda)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Just returned from a 10 day trip to the Morromar. (Sun 26th feb)
First the highs I think! the staff at these apartments are an absolute credit to the place, helpful, friendly and courteous. The housekeeping team work relentlessly to keep all areas of the complex absolutely spotless. The exteriors look recently refreshed, the gardens are immaculate and the pool areas are beautiful. Now the not so good, apartment interiors dated and in need of an upgrade, a TV from the ark and a kettle which tripped all the fuse breakers in the apartment when switched on! Wi-fi that they wanted you to pay for (same for a very limited tv package), really! in this day and age. The restaurant/bar and entertainment area is large but with only a small actual bar (one staff member) can see that being a struggle to get served when busy (perhaps part of the all inc plan, or is that me being cynical?). We stayed on a half board basis and here for us was the biggest problem, kitchen staff did wonders with what they were given to work with, presentation was always good but having to work with ' Happy Shopper ' or, ingredients from the ' My Mums ' quality of culinary ingredients meant the meals left a lot to be desired, cheapest cuts of everything used at every meal and to top it off the heated buffet pans used to hold it were only managing, at best a lukewarm effort. Such a shame.
On the plus side, Puerta del Carmen is still a vibrant place and a pleasant walk away, the carnival is definately worth taking in, a mega party weekend. Lots of reasonable places to eat at not much cost. Whilst on the subject, for absolutely outstanding tapas and the freshest fish try the Mardeleva restaurant which is overlooking the harbour/marina, get to the port and walk along the wooden viewing gangway around the harbour, about halfway around there are some concrete steps going up to the right and you can see the restaurant set into the cliffside, we cannot recommend this place highly enough.
Finally, Thomsonfly, or should that be ' Thomsonbuy ' in total, about 8 hours of hard sell, expensive drinks, food and ' duty free ' not!! Never again. Processed through Arrecife airport by security staff, at least one of whom (she, by the way) would not have been out of place in jackboots, shocking attitude, shouting at everyone like we all cattle, a wholly unpleasant experience.

Top tip; buy your duty free from one of the bigger Spar stores, as cheap as anywhere else, and loads cheaper than the official ' Duty free ' in the airport.

Would we return the Morromar, probably not.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Joeletaxi1961

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Polish first
Burntwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Just returned from an group of 12 blokes winter sun hols at the Morromar. Overall we had a great time and the hotel was everything I expected.

It was clean modern, two pools (freezing but eh this is winter and a morning dip cured the hangover). The bar and restaurant staff worked hard on long shifts and were very pleasant and welcoming and enjoyed the bits of Spanish I tried with them.

Food was ok and there always something to eat, bit heavy on the garlic - sprouts and hashbrowns even had it in!! Always something to please everyone though.

Ai basis worked well and no there weren't branded drinks on offer but that's the same world over. Cocktails were and great and nothing short about the short measures :-)

No its not in Puerto del Carmen but then you know that if you check the map and see where Matagorda is - very pleasent walk down the beach front in Puerto or dead cheap 5EUR taxi.

Damned cold at night but again heh, its winter so throw the blankets on the bed and pack your pajamas.

Overall a great place and would consider coming back for sure with the family. Entertainers try and work hard.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank KingCommuter
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Myself and my friend (22+24) stayed at the Morromar earlier this Month (Feb 2012) and had the best time which was largely down to the hotel. We were all-inclusive and would recommend this if you enjoy eating and drinking!

Food and Drink:

As part of the all-inclusive package, in addition to the standard wine, beer and sangria, the Morromar offered a wide range of spirits, liquers, cocktails and other premium drinks of which were available from 1000-2300! This alone saved us a lot of money. In regard to the food, although I can see how more particular individuals may pick faults, my friend and I had no complaints. It definitely catered for 'brits abroad' which was nice to have familiar options available but also offered a wide range selection of italian and spanish style hot food. The resturant had an extremely relaxed, laid-back atmosphere and being self-service, we always felt that we could freely choose what we liked as well as go back for food! Between breakfast, lunch and super times, the pool snack bar offered hot food of which you could just help yourself to which was useful for days if you decide to go out or sleep past breakfast!

Staff:

No complaints about staff at the Morromar, all polite and friendly enough, and all made effort to translate into English. The enteraintment staff were excellent and extremely welcoming, fun and friendly - we met up with them for a night out on our last night in Puerto Del Carmen clubs and had a really fun night.

Entertainment:

How people can say the entertainment is non-existance is beyond me! Each evening after supper, there was at least two big entertainment shows e.g. on the Sunday, we played bingo (won 50Euros!) and then had a repitle show of which my friend ended up being dragged on stage and holding a snakee round her neck!! In the daytime, there is a comprehensive list of activities to do and we learnt to shoot a rifle, pistol and play french ball! The winner of each activity receives a certificate that night of which we bagged 4 of! There was some friendly banter between the brits and the spanish in these events!! The entertainment leaders are brilliant and will ensure you have fun.

Location:

Approx' 10 Euros to the airport so no need to sort transfers out before hand. Able to walk into Puerto Del Carmen town (approx' 30 mins) however, for the sake of 4 Euros, I'd suggest getting a taxi from the rank directly outside the hotel!

Excursions:

We only ventured out twice but were pleasently suprised with the Rancho Texas Park. Would strongly recommend. There is a day option as well as an all inclusive wild west night at the ranch which of which we learnt a terrific line dance!

Room:

Very spacious, kitchen area with cuttlery, glasses ect despite the fact we were all inclusive, we found this really useful. Lovely lounge area with a balcony over looking the pool and a view of the beach. There were a few ants notcied in the kitchen which didn't particularly worry us as we were all inclusive however, can see how if we were self-catering, this could have been a problem. Shower/bath was convinient and there was a maid serivce although, she seemed to do more harm than good - note: don't leave your false eye lashes on the floor cause she'll bin them!

Overall, I would definitely consider staying at the Morromar again in the future and would strongly recommend the all-inclsuive package, particularly to young couples of groups of friends. Very impressed.

Value:

Brilliant value for what you get, especially the range of drinks available and the entertainment opportunities.

Facilities:

There aree two lovely looking outdoor swimming pools however, the only minor negative we would have is that they were too cold to swim in, though bear in mind this was early February!
The hotel has a list of things available to hire which was helpful such as iron and ironing board, fans, crutches ect!

Dan and Maria

Room Tip: You are able to upgrade your room for 5Euros a day if not happy with the room given
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank DanandMaria
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

On arrival at the hotel I thought it was very nice. Set up on the hill over looking the beach of Matagorda not in Puerta Del Carmen but about 3 miles (1hour walk) outside.
When I went to book in it was clear that the staff where in no hurry. Despite being the only guests at the desk it still took around 10minutes or more to book in. Then with directions from the receptionist who was polite and details of where the restraunt was I was on my way.
Up a small slope to my apartment which was ok, it looked clean with space for myself and the two children sharing with me (2 and 14 years). As requested a cot had been put in my apartment, in the livingroom made up and ready. When unpacking I realised there was very little storage available, one wardrobe no draws and a coffee table between the two beds oh and shelves around the TV.
One side of the cot was damaged as it did not lock in position so I had to turn the cot so as my little girl would not lean on it and fall. A small kitchen with two electric hobs which provide us with a small amount of heat to warm the rooms of an evening, a kettle, fridge and plates.

My main quarms with this hotel was the food, and evening entertainment.
At every meal the food even if fresh out, was lukewarm, but in answer to this the hotel One Microwave between all guests to re heat your meals....not really my idea of All Inclusive, I know a lot of people go on about there only being chicken nuggets and chips for kids in some All Inclusives but I would of prayed for something standard for my little one who I struggled with at nearly every meal. To be fair I don't think I ate a variety myself. I was in a group of about 20 people and none seemed satisfied, each filling up on chrips and biscuits of a night in out rooms.
The evening entertainment left something to be desired. There was a Kids disco which for me was probably the best part....of the acts I watched or heard about I think given the props my family and I could have provided better entertainment...
Parrotts in practice, a man doing the tricks for them....Drag artist...OMG its a man...Of course you are stupid hence...DRAG Artist!!!!!..
The hotels entertainment staff on the other hand where lovely, two girls who seemed to work day and night getting people involved with Pool, Bowls, and other sports. The same girls also ran kids club for kids from 4yrs.
There was an advert stating the heated pool was 22c I would have loved to find it as the two that I saw and tried where ICEY!!!! absolutely freezing with the jacuzi empty......not sure where they hid there heated pool.
Over all a let down, I went to another canary island a month before paid half the price and had twice the quality. I would never recomend this hotel.... I know this probably looks like it goes on but I was just so dissapointed and have never felt like this about a holiday...hopefully no more bad reviews from me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Del Carmen hotels

london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

In January 2012 I went to lanzarote with my gorgeous friend, we stayed in sol morromar apartments and went all inclusive. Perhaps because we went out of season it was not very busy which made the hotel seem very empty. There was a good selection of alcohol but you had to pay for familar alcohol like jack daniels which i think was unfair seen as we went all inclusive. There wasnt much entertainment and when there was entertainment it was mainly for the older generation. Luckily this wasnt a big deal as we went out everynight to hit the bars. DO NOT be fooled it is NOT in puerto del carmen it is in matagorda which is 10mins away. A taxi to puerto del carmen was 6euros so if u dont fancy spending money everynight on travel dont stay here. The apartments were standard, you get what you paid for so i cant complain. However there was alot of ants here and the bedroom was absolutely freezing! we had to ask for extra blankets. Also the hot water ran out quite frequently so make sure your the first one to bathe! All in all sol morromar was good for the price we payed but my advice would be if you are going for a winter break do not stay here if you are 18-21 as the majority of occupants are quite old.

Room Tip: Opt for a high pool view room. Always the best!:)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends