“Always the best food”

Ranked #31 of 106 Restaurants in Retford
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2017

We've been to Whitehouses tonight and all four of us had different meals. They were all very, very good.
Lamb so tasty, the slow cooked rib of beef looked fantastic, also the pigeon wellington,(a starter), lambs liver with bubble and squeak, last but not least the three tastes of rabbit.
Nothing was left on our plates. Puddings imaginative and also home cooked , but we where rather full. All the staff are very helpful and friendly.
Thankyou to everyone.
PS Best pint of beer in Retford.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

It was the second visit to the whitehouses, where I met friends for sunday lunch. We ordered a bottle of verve cliquot champagne that was just put on the bar with 4glasses not even poured, the guy didn't want to speak and was so rude it was unbelievable! Think it's because I gave him a knock back on my last visit but reading previous reviews it must be his personality! We were sat behind a curtain in a corner of the restaurant awful table, the girls serving were pleasant enough except one young girl who spoke to us dreadfully telling us we had 10 minutes to finish up because it shuts at 6pm. Food was nice enough the bill came to £240 for 4 of us which you don't mind if you enjoy the day. Upon leaving my friend addressed the problem saying the attitude of the owner and the girl was outrageous towards paying customers and that she had left a £7 because she's a decent person but would not be returning which I have to agree with! I then received a text message from the owner saying "do not contact me in any shape or form ever again" which was baffling as we are not friends I'm a paying customer the message should have been an apology for the service and attitude we received!! Think this guy is in the wrong profession and should maybe consider a job on a desert island where he can be as rude as he likes with himself! An awful man

13  Thank phoebewillett
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Don't even bother as you can see from a number of other reviews the owner is rude, aggressive and isn't interested in customers. Possibly the worst human being (and that's being kind) involved in hospitality. Go elsewhere in Retford. I'd love for this place to loose business and close down. I hate the man and he's a bully to staff and customers

11  Thank Tommygun76
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Just ha Sunday lunch with my elderly parents. They didn't have a large appetite so waitress Jean suggested they try child portion Sunday roast - just right.
On other front we had 2 roast potatoes which were empty. When pointed out we got a full apology and 3 replacements.
Thanks Jean also for suggesting light puddings.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We went to whitehouses on a Thursday evening a few weeks ago to take a friend and his girlfriend who had recently done us a massive favour we thought Whitehouses would be a nice treat. The restaurant was very busy for a Thursday but the owner was as usual his brusk self we normally overlook this as we have always enjoyed good food here. But unfortunately on this night it was just too much to bare when you are paying your hard earned money.
There was obviously some staffing issues and he and his daughter who wasn't far behind him in her rudeness were having to do everything themselves not our problem. I asked if I could have some vinegar a normal request I thought until I was asked in a very direct uncomfortable and sarcastic tone if there was anything else I wanted while he went for it. Our entire table were gobsmaked and felt as though we had been put in the naughty corner we were also very embarrassed as this was supposed to be a treat to our guests.
The whole evening was strained and very uncomfortable for us never again will I spend my money here they do not deserve good paying customers with their rude arrogant flippant attitude and to cap it all they dropped food on my husbands brand new first time worn sued shoes great experience NOT. Much nicer places to go who really appreciate your business.

12  Thank bj66