“Amazing Gastronomic Journey”
Review of The Olive

The Olive
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Olive restaurant exudes a modern, arty design with a casual, welcoming feel in its 'olive' colours and warm lighting. Served in a trendy yet elegant ambience, the food features a myriad of textures, flavours and styles in a blend of classical recipes with contemporary ingredients and tastes. Among the choices on offer are prime cuts of meat, fresh seafood, crisp salads, delicious desserts, and fine wines. Juicy, succulent Wagyu Beef is the house specialty.
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

I visited the Olive for dinner during my stay in Genting in end July, and it was a spectacular experience from start till end.

The service team at the Olive was professional, pleasant and meticulous, attending to our every need, without being at all intrusive.

The highly talented taiwanese chef brought us on an amazing gastronomic journey, with us eagerly anticipating the next course. My partner selected the beer battered oysters, Wagyu Ribeye and hot chocolate fondant; while I chose the lobster bisque, Chilean sea bass and chocolate ganache dessert. We were pleasantly surprised to be served generous portions for each course. At the end of the meal, it was as though we had reached the end of an epic adventure.

There were many instances where the service team and chef impressed us, but I will leave you to experience it for yourself.

We intended to bring our parents here for dinner before we left, but it was a pity they were closed on Mondays. We will be back soon!

1  Thank heeryma

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Courteous and friendly waiter . Nice environment good food a restaurant you must try when at Genting Highland.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

It was not our first time here, been here several times before this and both the service and food were always good. Unfortunately, not during our latest trip here 2 days back.

My husband and I decided to celebrate our anniversary over here as it was here where we started 7 years ago. So, we made an appointment at 8pm. We arrived about an hour earlier coz we decided to chill at the lounge, where we ordered some drinks and the always awesome cheese platter, just like the old times. The staff that attended to us was very friendly.

By 8.10pm, we tried calling one of the staffs as we wanted to move to the dining area to have our dinner. Let's call him Mr.X. Mr.X turned his head to our direction, and then walked off a bit. We thought that he didn't notice us, fine, we waited. And then when he passed by us the second time, we tried getting his attention again.. Looking annoyed (Mr.X, not us), we told him that we want to go over the dining area. His reaction thereafter showed that he was aware that we called him the first time and he responded in a really annoyed manner... something along the line "Ya... ya... you justttt wait here a moment ok, I need to check for availability.. Jusst...wait.. here". Excuse me? All we said was "We want to move to the dining area" and the staff, responded rather rudely. Fine, we waited. After about 10 mins, he came back and told us that we could go over to the dining area. Then, the 2nd horrible service happened. We still had leftover of our cheese platter and my mojito was more than half a glass. We told Mr.X that we wanted to bring both of that over, to which he initially implied that it is not "proper". Conversation goes like this-
Us: We would like to bring these over there
Mr.X: Hrmm... I... don't... You wanna bring this over? (rather annoyed face again)
Us: Ya. Is it okay for us to bring these there?
Mr.X: *mumbles nonsense*
Us: It is not proper is it?
Mr.X: Ya ya... you... you answered that question yourself already. But... nevermind, you just go ahead and I'll bring this over.
Us: *carried my glass of mojito*
Mr.X: Just.... justtt leave that there. I will bring that over too (referring to my mojito)
Us: Okay. Thanks.

At that point, we were quite pissed already but we remained calm because, well, we thought that maybe he had a bad day because earlier on, we heard him talking to a female colleague in a rather pissed tone, too.

To the dining area we went. Mr.X served us the menu and thankfully, another staff continued to serve us the remaining of the night. Or else, our night will be destroyed by some annoyed and rude staff.

When we looked at the menu, the cheese platter we ordered earlier was also in that menu. Makes me wonder WHY IS IT NOT PROPER to bring over our cheese platter which we ordered from YOUR LOUNGE over to YOUR DINING AREA which is just 5 seconds away?! Seriously?

After we ordered our food, we realised that my glass of mojito has not arrived. I told my husband to forget about it if they forgot about that since we have ordered a bottle of wine. Much later, one young staff walked over to our table and placed the mojito on our table and said "Ma'am, this is your mojito?" to which we said yes, and proceeded with "Luckily we have not cleaned the (lounge) table earlier and have not washed everything. If not....". Our reaction was "???!!!!!!!!". I don't blame that young staff because he didn't know what was going on, I blame that arrogant Mr.X. I wanted to carry my drink over MYSELF in the first place, YOU told me to JUST LEAVE IT THERE and YOU will bring it over and now you people come blaming me for "forgetting" to bring my drinks over??

The whole experience makes me wonder if this place still worth for us coming to visit ever again. We frequent The Olive since year 2007, we love the ambience, the food and the exceptional service (back then I presume).. but since our latest experience, it is just a huge disappointment.... thanks to ONE staff.

1  Thank trinatay
Reviewed 23 April 2017

Serve a very good choice of dishes and wine.

Had received a lot of awards. Must try.

Also a relaxing place for a quick drink.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

Their mushroom soup is really nice with some bubbles on top of it. Their service very good too. I like their salmon and wagyu.