7,278 results
All reviews surf and turf pillow menu port maria butler service lobster jo dane star friends ocean front lobby bar room service bubble bath dinner reservations pool concierge japanese restaurant our honeymoon montego bay boogie nights
Reviewed 29 May 2018

My husband, brother & sister-in-law stayed here May 19-27, 2018. It’s one of the better places we have stayed at and really have no complaints. Absolutely some things need to be upgraded (hotel hall carpets) but they aren’t yucky, just dated!

We were in room 6306 with a great view of the ocean, my brother & his wife were in room 6010. Ground floor but no view of anything...and they were given a room with 2 double beds that the butler pushed together to make one enormous bed for them. They liked it! I liked our room better!

Many people mention the star friends, and they should be mentioned! They do a fantastic job of getting guests involved and you can be as busy or lazy as you want.

The restaurants were all great, including the buffets and pool jerk shack. The servers at the restaurants worked very hard and you never waited for a plate to be cleared or a drink to be refilled! Sometimes this was a bad thing! I will say the pool and beach service is a bit slow, but they have a lot of ground to cover and if you are desperate for a drink, you can walk to the bar and get one yourself.

My sister in law and I did use the spa, and thought it was wonderful, but the prices are high. We did a poolside massage, milk bath and facial ($400 US) but they were top notch. The day we did the spa my husband and brother golfed at White Witch and said the course was in amazing shape, and well worth the cost of going.

My husband was stung by a jelly fish on the same day he golfer, and he has an anaphylactic allergy to bees. He was unsure what bit him so we rushed to our lobby and asked security to drive us over to the medical centre on site. Nurse Naomi was AMAZING and calmed me down! She knew right away looking that it was a jelly fish sting and put a vinegar soaked paper towel on his arm and gave him a shot of Benadryl. She kept us there for about 30 minutes to make sure there was no reaction happening! All was good, and we were not charged for the visit, which security told we would be charged for. I really didn’t care, I was terrified and just wanted to make sure he was going to be okay.

Yes, people smoke weed around the pool, but the smell isn’t atrocious, there is always a wind blowing, so if it bothers you, you can move. Pool chairs are hard to come by, if you want ones in the shade, and we were always up and at the pool by 6am, but that way we had a good spot and if/when it rained we didn’t have to move. On our last day there, we placed our stuff poolside and went to the gym and had breakfast. We got back to the pool by 7:30am and our stuff had been taken. We went to the towel hut and the person working said she removed everyone’s things at 7am, this was a “hotel policy”. We had been at the pool every day and this had NEVER happened. So, Shanika (the girl working) gets a special mention because she was a total b*****. It wasn’t only our stuff moved, but everyone’s, and she totally copped the biggest attitude ever! If it’s a policy, do it every day! That’s really my only complaint, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I would absolutely recommended this resort, and should mention we also used the gym daily at the suites, since the grand gym is under renovation. The suites gym is fantastic and offers anything you can think of! It’s right beside the medical centre, so easily within walking distance.

The only other thing I would say is the room bathroom is set up with 2 sinks, but very little counter room. It makes it hard to spread your stuff out!

Overall, the place is great, the ocean was clean (until the jelly fish) and the pools were pleasant and not too hot!

If you stay here, you will have a great time!

Happy Travels!
D&J

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J_and_D-1433
QualityManagerJM, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Dear D & J,

We thank you for your very detail yet lovely review.

Please know that our guest comments are very important in our continuous efforts to provide the finest personalized service and facility. Thank you for pointing out the entertainment staff and the other members that contributed to making your stay great.
We sincerely apologize for the issues that you encounter during your stay. The management team is aware of this and will be addressing them.
Once again, I thank you for sharing your experience with us and hope that you will be joining us again soon.

Quality manager

Reviewed 29 May 2018

We stayed from 2/23-3/2 in one a swim-out suites. The room was gorgeous, however the location of the swim-out suites wasn't the greatest. They backed up to the employee foot path and there was a neverending parade of gas powered golf carts ferrying people and supplies back and forth all day long. The noise was mostly tolerable, but the fumes could be a bit strong at times.

The food at this resort was fabulous! The buffet was surprisingly good, the Italian restaurant was great, the surf and turf was amazing, and the hibachi was outstanding. The service in every restaurant was a bit on the slow side, but in fairness, the resort was jam packed.

The beach was beautiful, a standard Jamaican beach - rocks for the first dozen or so feet when you enter the ocean, a nice breeze, and plenty of seaweed to make you jump out of your skin when it brushed by underwater!

I would definitely return to this resort. Jamaica is one of my favorite places to visit!

Room Tip: Swim-out suites have a view of an employee walkway.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsGfmVB
QualityManagerJM, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your review.

Thank you for highlighting all the positives in your stay. It was a pleasure to host you, and that you were able to have an awesome vacation. We apologize for any issues you encounter during your time with us. The management team is already aware so that corrective measures can be put in place.
Once again we thank you, as we look forward to your visit in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I absolutely enjoyed my stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall! Me and my spouse were treated like royalty during our stay! I would absolutely consider staying here again in the future and recommend this play to my friends and family!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
QualityManagerJM, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your positive comments and are pleased that you had a great experience. We will ensure to inform the staff of your comments.

Once again we thank you, and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Second time at this resort having stayed in May last year we had as good a time as last. Slightly disappointed with room on floor 1 as I had emailed hotel telling them that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary of 42 years also being returning guests and asking for a top floor I cannot belive that all top floor rooms had been taken but even if that were true they didnot offer to move us when one was available.Resturants my favourite was Steak my wife's was the Italian but to be honest there is not a bad restaurant. The butlers this time round were not as evident as last year, I bumped into

our butler From last year Ojay and spoke to him more times than our allocated butler.The pools were are good split into three so something for everyone generally no
real towel game you allways get sad people putting there towels down at silly o clock
but in the main there was no major problems finding a place in the sun or shade the only negative with the pool staff is that they do not take floats off people when they are not being used so people use them the put them down the side of there chairs if the staff I forced a use it or lose it policy there would be plenty for everybody.Beach beautiful allways kept clean in summery it's the staff that make this place grand

Room Tip: All rooms same inside higher room better view
Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review.

Thank you for returning to our property and for spending your 42nd anniversary here.

It is always great to hear from our repeat guests and learn of their new experiences. We apologize that your stay was not as expected, rest assured that we have already communicated your concerns to the Management team.

We will be sure to past on your comments to the staff who helped to make your stay wonderful.

Once again we thank you, and hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

After staying at 3 Iberostar resorts over 3 years, this 3 week stay has resulted in me never wanting to step foot in an Iberostar resort again.

Before I share my negative experience, I want to share the positives of the resort, as it is only fair to you to see a completely open and honest review.
First off the Grand Rose Hall has everything you want in a resort and more.
From the moment you exit your transport to the moment you are in your room talking to your butler you are already made to feel welcome.

The rooms are very spacious and saying in a 3rd floor ocean front room, I saw a good view with the soothing sounds of waves to compliment it.
The food was amazing, more so in the buffet than the speciality restaurants.
Having stayed at many AI resorts (including 2 other Ibersotar) one thing I find for stays longer than a week (which is always the case this end) is that the food gets boring after a while.

Here the food was amazing, and the choices were plentiful (especially on Friday nights) so 3 weeks there it never got old.
I enjoyed the Japanese restaurant, however not so much the others. The food at the others were ok, but not that filling, the surf and turf had great portions but a medium ordered steak resulted in a medium rare / blue steak, other in the restaurant at the time had similar experiences, maybe it was just the chef that day, but I was not willing to find out by rebooking.
I did not do the Jamaican restaurant, however was told the portions were very large and tasty (I experienced great Jamaican foot at Thursdays buffet and on the beach.)
And the room service was also great, with a large variety on offer.

The staff were friendly, to the point that even cleaning staff that had nothing to do with your room got to know you by name and greeted you every day as you passed by them.

The entertainment staff were fun to be around, a lot of trainees during my stay who put in that little extra effort.

Due to an incident (see below) and the 945pm start time I only attended one of their nightly shows, so can not comment on those.
The one I made sure I did see prior to departing was the pirate beach party, which was entertaining but not something I would call spectacular (actually the pre show jugglers were the highlight in my eyes)
Unfortunately the overall experience was let down by a couple in their 40’s who were sitting to the side smoking weed (lit up 3 times) during the show, which I found not only uncomfortable but extremely disrespectful on their behalf.
The diving via Dressel divers was great, many good locations and plenty to see, not my favourite diving spots but certainly worth the time and money, and their illuminous lagoon tour was great (book with them for the best of the tours that go there) if you have never dived before or want to dive more go see them (they are around the pool around midday I think, also in a hut on the beach located between the grand and suites resort, with their main base of operations and dock being at the other end of the beach resort (short walk or cart ride away)

Overall if you’re looking for an adults only resort with all the trimmings, Iberostar Grand has you covered.
Now onto the negatives and to the reason I will never visit any Iberostar again .
I mentioned before the couple smoking weed on the beach during the show, With the amount of staff around it would have been nice for one of them to approach them and have the move away from the area. It was the only time I smelt weed in the resort, apart from the balcony next door once when they lit up.
There are locals on both ends of the resort on the beach who are there to sell weed, each to their own, I guess the only annoying part was where my room was located was close to a group of them who are constantly whistling to try get business, the security did their best to keep them off the grand property but when the chance arose they were quick to enter, as for the beach resort side they remained on property next to the dock which I believe should not be the case.
That was a negative from my end, however understand people are going to buy and smoke weed in Jamaica no matter what rules are in place, and this negative has nothing to do with me not wanting to visit Iberostar again.

The real big negatives…
On my first day I was directed to Omar at the concierge desk, who supplied me with discount vouchers then hit me up with the hard sell to get to to do one of their club tours, which after rejecting a couple of times gave in and booked it in for 2 days later.
At around 3:20am on my 3rd morning I decided to go for a smoke on my balcony, just as I was about to reach the step from the bedroom area to the dining/balcony areas the resort had a power outage which resulted in me losing situational awareness (in the pitch dark) and having the ball of my foot connect with the edge of the step, resulting in me twisting my ankle and falling over head first (luckily there was a soft sofa lounge to stop my head from any serious injuries).
The power outage lasted approx. 45 minutes, and was only at the resort (I could see lights from houses/street from my balcony)
I ended up going back to my bed to rest my foot/ankle and got back to sleep, the net morning I felt no pain, I could move my foot without issue, and was happy thinking all was well, that was until I took my first step, where the pain was full on around the ball of my foot.
That morning at 8am I went to the club presentation tour I committed to, in pain I was helped by Omar to get around after he heard the story I shared about what occurred.
when at the club presentation building I was met by staff asked some questions then told that no one was available to take me around, so to come back at 10:30am, they offered me a club mobay ticket for the inconvenience however I already had one pre-purchased for my departure, Omar said if there is anything else they could offer to let them know, at that time I could not think of anything and just wanted to go back to my room to get off my foot.
I am someone who honours his word so went back at 10:30am, again in massive pain when walking on my left foot, again he helped me then left me with the lady who made sure we limited the walking on the presentation/tour, eventually ending up back at the club presentation building where I encountered one of their sales staff who were quick to push as hard at they could for a sale, putting out figures and promises and in my opinion a lot of BS to get me to sign up to the club.
I will not review the club presentation or tour here, however left with the opinion that I heard many lies/miss-truths and found that I could save more by not joining their club.
So after ½ a day wasted doing that, I went back to my room.
On the way the butler enquired what happened, I told him and he asked if I wanted to see the nurse, at that time I believed it was just bruised and needed a little rest.
After resting I went scuba diving (committing to that prior also) where I ended up meeting a doctor who was staying at the suites and looked at my leg and diagnosed a tear which would heal itself without major activity on the foot within 1 week to 1 month, even suggesting that diving would be good for it (yay).
Shortening the story I also met with a another diver a week later who was a nurse staying at the grand, who gave the exact same diagnosis and as a bonus was able to give me a couple of over the counter medication varieties to help.
Backtracking, the day after the incident, I sent an email to the PR team to advise them of the incident due to their blackout along with suggestions of what they could do to avoid similar situations in regards to the step during blackout.
I also advised them that the day of my club tour I talked with multiple people who also went on it at some time, each of them advising me they got a free massage, others iberostar cash and 1 couple got both.
I advised PR that I went to Omar to share with him my findings and asked if I could obtain such rewards, to which he came back with a blatant lie to say that he had none to offer, and that if he did he would have offered it to me, and if some come available I would be the first on his list (I know it is there to get reluctant people on the tour, and know that 1 couple o spoke to who were at the 0800 tour with me saw Omar right after me on my 1st day (they got both Iberostar cash and massages) I then reminded Omar that he offered something for having to come back and asked what he could give, he said he had nothing to give.. another blatant lie, so I mentioned this in my email to the PR team.
As a result I heard nothing back from them, in fact the first I heard back was the day after my birthday when another butler advised them what had happened, just making sure I was ok, which I was not, but their job seemed to be done just by calling and asking.
Btw I had the worst birthday every experienced in 42 years, thanks to the pain, the fact I could not enjoy activities etc.
2 weeks the pain remained high, getting a little better after I started taking the medication.
Eventually the pain was more numb and better to walk on, the butler noticed this and was happy for me.
That same day the butler came up with me with a fill in the blank letter basically asking me to sign that I refused to see the nurse after being told to by (blank PP rep) and that as a result iberostar would not be liable etc etc .. I was fuming, as I was never told I had to see the nurse, and did not need to after I had already met and was diagnosed by a doctor and nurse staying at their resorts), and to say they are not liable was more of an insult to the fact the letter was delivered as things were starting to get better with my foot.
Of course I did not sign it and told them why.
As a result of the power outage, nothing lighting up the step during a blackout I spent the good part of 2 weeks in my room, and the 3rd week not being able to do any of the activities (eg volleyball) as to allow it to continue to heal, and as mentioned suffered the worst birthday ever.
Aware of the situation, Iberostar did not offer any form of compensation during my stay and did not reply to my email.
I left after 3 weeks feeling ripped off and unimportant.
It cost me leave from work, a lot of time and money to even get to Jamaica from Australia let alone the cost of the resort for 3 weeks, and the end result was that I was unable to enjoy my time there or all they had to offer as a result of their blackout and lack of safety features.
And then I had to spend more time getting affidavits from 15 people who went on the tour and got rewarded as well as from the doctor and nurse who treated me during their own holiday, and am spending time and money with my attorney due to the incidents.
After my 2nd time at Iberostar I was looking forward to travelling the world and staying at all their resorts (including the aruba one which is on its way and was my plan for next year) but after the headache, pain and disrespect suffered during this 3 week vacation, will never visit one of their resorts again, nor continue to recommend them (apart from this post, with the positive aspects shared as it is not fair to you to make a decision just based on my negative experience)
All in all, when it comes to the negative side, my conclusion is Iberostar have your money, aside from that, unless they can get more they do not care about you, your just a customer and income.

Room Tip: Ocean front is the way to go, 6322 was a large room with pleasant view
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
17  Thank Subboy777
QualityManagerJM, Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Dear Guest:

First and foremost, it is with sincere hearts that we thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall once again, and for taking the time to share your detailed experience with us so that we can reflect on areas of improvement.

It is highly disappointing to learn of your unfortunate experiences during the show and as it relates to your fall, as well as treatment thereafter. We do not seek to find any excuses for your misfortune, but we must apologize once more because as a repeat guest, you were expecting the same level of service as with the previous years.

As it relates to the guests smoking, we are sorry if this was a nuisance, and we often inform guests that this is a non smoking hotel, especially since it is affecting other guests. Though no staff spoke to them, we will take this into consideration and ensure that our staff are more vigilant next time.

On the case of your falling in the room, based on the reports, we do see where the butler had suggested that you visit the nurse on property and you had stated that you do not wish to do so. We are sorry that you did not visit the nurse at that time, but are happy that guests here with medical certification were able to assist you. For future power outages, we will be sure to work assiduously to get the light back on to prevent any further injuries, and will look into offering guests some safety procedures in the case of power outages so that they can be more equipped in preventing injuries.

On the matter of the Club coupons issue, we are sorry that you did not get your desired coupons while you went on the tour, as we are sure that you looked forward to the free massage and Iberocash. This is a matter that The Club will keep looking into to see how best they can accommodate everyone with favorable coupons.

Despite these sore issues, we are grateful for your kind words towards our food, staff, rooms, and beach.

The Management of our hotel wishes all the best in your future travels, and do hope that you will reconsider visiting us again so that we can remind you of why you fell in love with our brand in the first place. Please feel free to send an email to our Public Relations department so that we can see how best we can make your next visit a Grand one.