Penang National Park (Taman Negara Pulau Pinang)

Ways to Experience Penang National Park (Taman Negara Pulau Pinang)
from US$55.00
More Info
from US$652.53
More Info
All reviews monkey beach boat ride meromictic lake canopy walk kerachut beach beautiful beach lighthouse trail jungle kampi ranger
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 July 2019 via mobile

Although there is the very reasonably priced 101 bus that takes you to the national park, we took a taxi as much quicker 50RM from Gurney Drive.

At the entrance you will be accosted by boat touts, who have various fixed price options to transport you to various beaches. As the track to Monkey Beach is closed from USM, you have to take a boat.
We opted to walk to USM (45 minutes in the steaming hot jungle, on a very uneven and poorly maintained track), then boat pick up to Monkey Beach and return to park entrance. For our family of four this was 80RM.
The boat picked us up as planned, and it was a fun trip through the waves - we all lived this.
Monkey Beach is quite narrow, and ok to sit in the sand and chill for a while. The water isn't very clear, but no jelly fish. No monkeys.
We decided not to walk the steep track to the lighthouse.
The boat picks you from the pre-arranged spot and takes you back to the park entrance.
No taxis around so you'll need to call one or pop into one of the shops and they'll line up one for you - likely an unofficial taxi, but rates are the same.
Again, the bus is cheaper if you are happy to wait for one.

Date of experience: July 2019
2  Thank Tripping_Taylors
Reviewed 21 June 2019 via mobile

Decided to take my 2 young gals treking in the park. Come prepared for a good workout. The trees provided a shady canopy while the steep ascend and decend certainly made the trek challenging. There are 2 main treks that leads to the beach and a lighthouse respectively. You can visit the monkey beach and turtle sanctuary as part of your destination. Be prepared for 1 to 2 hours treking to reach your destination depending on your pace. It will probably be a whole day affair and go prepared with lots of water. There are no shops selling water at some of the destinations. If you are exhausted after reaching you destination, you can take a boat ride back to the pier at the entrance of the park. Boat ride will cost you RM 10, if you have about 8 pax, if you have less the boat man may charge you more. So, try to team up with others to get a better rate. Overall, i would only recommend it if you are reasonably fit and discourage you if you are unwell.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed 18 June 2019

If you wanna go to this place, make sure of 2 things. First, check the weather for sure and if it's getting rainy, it's not really worth it in my opinion cause there's almost 1-hour walk through the forest to the turtle beach. Seconed, make sure you're ok to walk for almost an hour (a bit more or less depending on your speed)! It may get a little tyring but we got used to it really soon and really enjoyed the forest walk. Turtle beach is really beautiful but it's not allowed and not safe to swim there. If you wanna swim you're gonna have to take a boat to take you to the monkey beach which we did but I think it wasn't as beautiful as turtle beach and the water didn't seem really clean. If you wanna swim, be careful with the jelly fish cause even though it's allowed to swim there, there are jelly fish there. All and all, I surely enjoyed my time in penang national park and its nature!

Date of experience: May 2019
2  Thank HanaMazahery
Reviewed 5 June 2019 via mobile

The adventure never to be taken lightly. This over ambitious unplanned mission to go to the end of the earth to discover a small beach with no one there and for you to claim it all didn’t come easy. It is tough going up and down and up and down on very many steep slopes. My Apple watch told me that i took about 100 minutes to walk 5 km from entrance to kampi. There were many fallen trees and many broken bridges, paths , ropes and many years of neglect. Signage was very poor: overall about 3 signs. If you are stuck in there, you are gone. No one will find you.! a litre of water is not enough but you have to carry it: at least 2L. I hike weekly up down 800m+ in about 30 mins last 4 years and walk 5 km daily in preparation for mission like this. It has helped heaps and to kampi you need to train. Nothing is at kampi so you need to bring food (I brought a roast chicken, tomatoes lettuce and 1L water: not enough for 5 June trip. You should bring bread and light food). You need towel, change of clothes: basically a 4-5 kilo backpack. I sweated like a pig. Finally reaching the beach it was s relieve. The beach was small nice , a little different with a coconut tree and totally secluded. Australia has nicer beaches you can get to in minutes of walking. Kampi is too hard and too far to get to and is for the hardcore and misguided travelers like me. I thought of taking the boat back. It came only to deliver food to the 2 guys who were on duty. I spoke to them (they were surprised to see me and one first asked me how old I was and I said 53 and he seemed shocked: what? Haven’t seen a 53 year man do this? Apparently not. What ? so I was the first? No one this crazy I think it’s what they were thinking. Engrave my name in stone mate.) they told me that were rostered there for a week and a boat would take them back at the end of roster. They also said no one has been there for some time. When the boat came I asked the owner for a trip back and he wanted $35 ringgit which I thought was a ripoff so didn’t take it and decided to walk back. I didn’t know you had took your boat at the entrance before hand if you wanted to be picked up. (At the entrance later I found out that booking a boat was $100 per boat for max 5: regardless of person). Big mistake for now only because I Made a bad turn and went a wrong way. Told you signage was bad and I was 2 km and at least 50 mins out by the time I realised and turned back.? Total back trip was 2 hours 13 mins back with cramps and nothing left in reserved. Took a cold shower with shots and shoes on. Barely standing. Thinking of troops in jungle warfare mid way back. Very tough going not for anyone above 40 lol. This is not turtle beach. Kampi trip is in a different league. It’s a trip you really want to get lost because you are so mad and you need to channel all that madness into hiking energy. Go early back before 6 to recover. Done get lost like I did. It’s scary. No internet no communication no one there to rescue you. You run of water bad luck.no one will know or find you unless you had told someone before hand but if you got lost, then pray. Never hike alone to kampi.

Date of experience: June 2019
4  Thank herbertsmith241065
Reviewed 23 May 2019

On paper this sounds like a fantastic day, an easy trek through the rainforest followed by a rest on a lovely beach and a return walk back to the little town of Teluk Bahang.
The 101 bus from George Town will drop you just about at the main gates of the park where you need to register at the front office that you are taking on the walk.
The path to Turtle Beach and Monkey Beach starts off well maintained and follows along a small beach before you cross a bridge and can either turn left towards Turtle Beach, or right to Monkey beach.
On our trip the path to Monkey Beach was closed, they did not elaborate as to why it was closed, but closed it was.
On turning left the path pretty quickly falls into major disrepair with massive erosion and wash away making it a quite difficult, slippery and dangerous climb.
We can only assume that the wet season rains had caused the damage, having read a few reviews nobody else mentions them.
Either way it was a more difficult and slippery climb and we were pretty happy to finally arrive at Turtle Beach to see a boatman waiting for customers.
We hadn't pre-booked a boat trip back but you can just wave the guys down and negotiate a lift either back all the way or to be dropped at Monkey Beach.
Turtle Beach itself was nothing much, just another ordinary beach.
We're glad we did it but wouldn't do it again given the chance.
On a disappointing note we saw lots of discarded plastic drinking botlles tossed down into gullies along the walk.
Seriously, if you can carry the bottle in, you can carry it out.
Just why you have to register will have to remain a mystery as there seems to be no follow up on leaving, you could be lost out there and nobody would ever know.

Date of experience: May 2019