“Like living at my nan's!”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Oh deary me. Expectations were so high. I mean it sounds posh doesn't it? But room was very old style, no air con and a bed that swallowed you whole, only not in a good way. Crack a window and you might escape the slightly damp smell but really, the carpet, the furnishings, the fan. . . A bit surprised there was a plate of biscuits or a slice of week old sponge cake from nan left out. Clean enough, sure but found ourselves gazing longingly at premier inn opposite, wistfully wondering what could have been the prize. Didn't sleep a wink. Pillow the size of a cushion, and just the one too. Bah!

Room Tip: Reception looked nice. . . .bunk down there.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TeamPreston
Anna P, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Joanna,
I am sincerely sorry your expectations were not met during your recent stay. I am confident if you had spoken to our team at the time we would have endeavored to do everything possible to ensure you had a good stay. Our bedrooms do not have air conditioning and our housekeeping team work hard to keep the rooms as cool as possible in the hot periods. We have completed refurbishment works in our public areas earlier this year and we are hopeful the next stage will be the bedrooms. All bedrooms are supplied with spare pillows for guest comfort, these are located in the wardrobe or chest of drawers. It is disappointing you did not speak to us at the time as we would have assisted to ensure you had a good nights sleep.

There are newer reviews for The Derbyshire Derby

Reviewed 31 July 2017

I was very disappointed in this hotel. Booked a double and got a twin. Given the room furthest from reception which is a 10 minute walk. The room smelt damp and there were stains on the carpet and a fan covered on dust in the bathroom with a crack around it.
The service was confused in the bar and the staff in general seemed poorly trained. They tried to charge me £15.50 for one glass of red wine which I refused as saw the bill before starting to drink it.
The pool is too small to swim in and is more a relaxation pool.
Most 3 start hotels I've stayed in are better than this supposed 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure it is not too far from reception
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulCG

Dear Paul,
We have already spoken personally further to feedback which you have sent direct to the hotel. I hope we have resolved your concerns regarding the room type which was caused via the booking channel of a third party site. Your future bookings are confirmed for a Double bed. I hope that your stays this coming week are to your expectation and that we can demonstrate the good level of service we deliver.

Reviewed 27 July 2017

I stayed here overnight on a business trip. There was a wedding on and clearly not enough staff. Only 1 bar staff. Couldn't get an answer for room service, went to reception to order but no staff there either so had to go out for dinner. Gym facilities are good, room very nice.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Anna P, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Dear triciawn,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am very sorry you had difficulties making contact with our room service and reception. Service is extremely important and and regardless to any function this should not have impacted in this manor. I am pleased you enjoyed your room and the leisure club facilities. I do hope we can welcome you back and please do not hesitate to contact me and I will ensure you have a good stay.

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Arrived late but still plenty of parking. Staff helpful from reception to room staff, breakfast and spa. Our room was big with a comfy bed, nice sized TV and coffee/tea making kit and iron. Bathroom big and overall a good room. We didn't eat evening meal but breakfast was really nice and poached eggs to order were spot on and fast. Reception helpful with queries and allowing me to sign out at 11am but still use spa and gym. Gym not the biggest but well stocked with all types os equipment. Changing room area slightly small but lockers free, saving on deposit for lockers or carrying a pound coin, and small + large towel provided for gym and pool. I found the stay to be really pleasant and all the staff I spoke to were really helpful and happy. Couldn't fault it thanks.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Anna P, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Dear Andy S
Thank you for your kind comments from your recent stay, I am so pleased you had a enjoyable time at the hotel. I will ensure your feedback regarding the team is shared. The spa and leisure facilities are ideal for relaxation or the gym for the the more energetic. I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

A lovely welcome at reception. Very homely room. Free parking. Delicious evening meal and breakfast. Nice clean pool area which we also received a free locker and towel but was slightly let down due to having to wait as they were over capacity, which was more than understandable, but the lady at the desk agreed to call us and didn't do so, so I would advise waiting in the reception if you need to wait to secure your entry when space is available. Free fruit waters around the hotel which we found was a nice touch and even though the room was warm there was a fan available.
Brewer's fayre across the road if you fancy a cheaper evening drink. Would definately return again especially if the price was right.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Sarah D,
I am so pleased you had a lovely stay at The Derbyshire. It is great to read and share your comments with the hotel team. I am sorry that the lady at the leisure desk did not call you back, but I hope you were able to use the facilities. It is great to hear you would return again and I hope I can personally welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
5.1 km away
Travelodge Alfreton
Travelodge Alfreton
#1 of 1 in Alfreton

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!