“Loved Seaside!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pondicherry
Seaside Guest House
Ranked #8 of 164 Pondicherry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Perfect place to stay in Pondy! Right on the promenade with fabulous views and easy walking distance to anywhere you want to go around town. Rooms were very clean, staff friendly, efficient and helpful and you just can't beat the price! It is run by the ashram so they have their rules but they're fair enough and makes for a quiet, peaceful atmosphere. Even though they officially only open their doors at 6 am, when we arrived at 4:30 am by overnight bus from Kodaikanal, we were SO grateful when they let us in at that early hour! We had booked the room for the night before so we wouldn't have to wait until 2 pm to check in, but we didn't anticipate the lovely welcome they gave us at that hour of the morning. Definitely worth the extra cost to stay in a sea facing room. Will stay here again!

Room Tip: The sea facing rooms with balcony on the upper floors are worth the slightly extra cost! To watch t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sambharmama

Reviewed 25 December 2011

I happened to book this hotel for my brothers who come to Chennai every year to stay in this hotel. This year also I booked for him over phone. When wanted to check in , the useless persons in the reception asked for passport copies of my brothers family. Fortunately, I was in Chennai at my home at that time to scan and send images of passports of all the three members and sent to the mail ID they had given to me (info@seaside.aerosociety.org) . Also I had CCed the mail to my brother. I waited patiently to check if the mail got bounced. But it didn't happen. So called my brother to confirm that he could very well get a hard copy from my mail. The untrained, illiterate, uneducated, uncultured, mannerless guys refused to check mail and get the hard copies and denied to check-in. My frustrated brother, booked Jayaram hotel where a warm welcome was given with good hospitality.

Seaside management should better think to avoid appointing pet animals for their booking counters. Being a professor in US my brother has alerted his colleagues, students, friends and family members NOT to choose this hotel when they stay in Pondy.The bitterest experience for a great professor in Pondy

Room Tip: Never ever choose this hotel. They did not even inform me while booking to bring all personal docume...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank DrAshokanS
Reviewed 11 November 2011

This beauty is located bang on the Promenade, the most happening place of Pondicherry.

It is one of the Aurobindo Guest houses and has some interesting caveats, so it might not be for everyone, especially the jet-setting party-till-you-drop young crowd. Here are the caveats:

1. You cannot consume liquor or smoke cigarettes inside the hotel.

2. The hotel gates close at 11 PM every night and open at 6 AM every morning. So you need to be back in your room before 11 PM, else you need to find another place to sleep the night.

3. Even thought the breakfast is free, you need to inform the reception in advance that you plan to have it. If you don't, you don't get any breakfast. Ditto for other meals. I think the idea is to reduce wastage of food and cook only as much as is needed.

One "Green" initiative of this place is that if you do not use the air conditioner, you need to tell them, and they will reduce Rs.100 from the daily room charge.

The staff is very efficient and courteous, and very tasty and authentic Indian food is served in the hall, an area demarcated for meals. Fixed menu, so you don't get choice as from a menu in a restaurant.

Prices are abysmally low - Rs.1500 (US$ 30) for an AC double room as on October 2011, and Rs. 90 (less than US$ 2) for a lunch or a dinner.

Cleanliness and hygiene is big for this place. If you do not leave your key for the room to be cleaned when you go out, you might be mildly reminded to do so going forth.

Take a sea-facing room by booking in advance. No website, but you can write to info@seaside.aurosociety.org and you will get a response pronto. Booking is strictly by transferring an advance amount to their bank account, details of which they provide over email.

Cheers. Have fun in Pondy.

Room Tip: Ask for sea-facing room on the top floor. If not available, then any sea-facing room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank PipBhaai
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I decided on 22nd Oct morning and asked for 2 rooms.. i could get it .. now I could say I was [...] lucky !! My family of 6 including my parents enjoyed the stay.. the rooms were spic and span and the place was easily accessible. The staff were polite & courteous. All the amenities in the room were working fine. It was a good value for money. One area of improvement could be to have a look at the food facilities. However, I have no regrets and enjoyed the experience

TK Sridhar, Bangalore

Room Tip: Get a sea-view room.. enjoy the sun rise !
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tks1968
Reviewed 10 October 2011

It is good value for money. The basic cleanliness is good. Two things that need urgent improvement:
1. Ventilation at the abnormally small bathroom needs improvement. There is no exhaust, and it is so small that water spills over from the shower area and it never dries during the day. A wet bathroom cannot be a clean one. It needs at least an exhaust and a door mat outside the bathroom. It would have rated 'very good', but this feature alone reduced my rating.
2. It has a set of strange rules - such as even though the breakfast is complimentary, it has to be ordered the night before. We appreciate that they are trying to minimize wastage. But these rules are written in small typing in a Notice somewhere pinned up 9in the rooms. It would be so much more convenient if the guests are verbally informed of them during check-in, in addition to putting up notices.

Room Tip: Mention sea facing
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple