“Belter holiday”
Review of Golden Sun Hotel

Golden Sun Hotel
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Recently stayed at the golden sun hotel arrived on the 30th September 2017 stayed for a week was the first family holiday for myself, Natalie and our three children on arrival we were greeted by a friendly member of staff who checked us in and showed us to our room on entering our room we were showed how things work I.e safe TVs aircon and also a very swanky key card that also activated the electric the room was stunning for a family room wich was one room and a shower suit we had a cot,bunk bed and also a double bed really good sized family room and great to be close to the children to keep an eye on them the bathroom was very fancy the only fault we had with the rooms were that the shower water flowed out into the hall of room wich made it really slippy and also the entrance door had no lock on the inside so the kids could escape but I managed to block there access to the handle lol the balcony was great with a great view of the plains passing by at a very low height surprisingly no sleep was interrupted when doors were closed the staff there are very helpful we met some fantastic people on our stay some that I hope to see someday I contributed in every activity going even tho I was rubbish at most my mornings started off with water aerobics with my 19month on my shoulders (she loved it) and then whatever came along after that the one activity I never missed was water polo the teams were great ( big Dave , Welsh Dave , Dan , grant , Alex and many others everyday we asked for non contact but hey were men competition always ends up with contact when it comes to sports haha on my last day most of my team had gone home so I just had to chuck the golden girls in to make up the teams and boy did they play well infact you can't fault the girls they always made sure that the guests were entertained Kate,bex and coryce if you see this I want to thank you for being so amazing lol . I would like to visit there again next year if I get the chance. And would like to see some of the staff there again Ledi,tonia and arcid who made the effort to have conversation I promised Ledi that the next time we meet I would have him a bike race and beat his 1940's Honda all in all fantastic holiday kids loved it me and nat loved it must say tho for anyone staying in kalamaki in the future please do dine at yummies at least once nanna Barbra makes a bang on giros ( kabab) and also is a wonderful women great Ozzie bird always made us feel like family and also never had to ask for our order once as she has a great memory hahaha well I'm just babbling on now please do stay here you won't be disappointed

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank stewytayla
goldensun2016, Υπεύθυνος Δημοσίων Σχέσεων at Golden Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Dear guest,

It was really nice to meet you and your family! We wish you all the best and we hope to see you again!

Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 October 2017

My wife and I booked this hotel on an all inclusive basis for a last minute break through Thomas Cook. On the whole we were very pleased with our choice and the price was very good value. We arrived on an early flight from Birmingham and as it was before 12.00 didn't really expect to get straight into our room, however we were lucky and the very helpful receptionist took us straight to our room. She explained that Alex who appears to be the porter/odd job man would follow shortly with our cases and within a few minutes he did. Alex too , was very helpful and helpful and explained hoe the free safe and free wifi worked. We also had free air conditioning.Not sure if these services are always free or if it was just because we were low season , nevertheless it certainly makes a difference to costs and we wwere very pleased about this. The room was a good size twin room with another pullout bed if you needed it and had all the facilities that you need including hairdryer , iron tv etc. Unfortunately as is so often the case, the only English channel was the BBC World news( The most boring channel in the world) Find it hard to believe in this day and age that it would be hard to get a few English entertainment channels at a fairly low cost, but I suppose as you don't spend much time in your rooms watching TV this is only a minor irritant really. The bathroom was a good size with a basic but very good shower, which unfortunately was strangely placed in the middle of the bath rather than at the end so , manoeuvering was a little awkward.We had a decent view from our balcony of the sea and a fantastic view of the low flying planes as they came in and out of the nearby airport( just about 15 to 20 mins transfer. Some might see this as a negative , but there are no night flights, we didn't have any problems with the noise from the planes. The food in the restaurant was , I would say mostly above average for an all inclusive restaurant , particularly for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was ok , apart from as usual in Europe never having English style bacon. Also we were surprised that they didn't do fresh omelettes to order which a lot of other hotels do in our experience. The pool area and childrens area were good and well kept, but hardly anyone would risk the freezing cold water. As someone else has said , the area by the large pool beds is very slippery, my wife fell here and wasn't the only one.. You help yourself to beer wine and soft drinks which is fine except that the here is a serious problem with wasps by the food and drink area. As soon as you go to pour any pop , they are on you and often straight in your drink. It would be better to be able to get drinks from somewhere inside the hotel in the daytime to prevent this. The barman, who has received a bit of criticism for being a bit miserable is actually fine , from what I saw of him, just very overworked as he never seems to get any help. Also I have to say that the all inclusive drinks choice was fairly poor compared to other places we have stayed. Local spirits are fine with mixers, but the mixers also tasted very cheap so drinks never really tasted how they should be and because of the limited choice of spirits, (no local version of Baileys or other popular drinks like a coffee liquer or vermouth etc , cocktails were extremely limited. The entertainment team - the 3 golden girls , work extremely hard and had there been more children there I have no doubt would have been even busier. However decent adult evening entertainment was hard to find apart from on the Greek night, which was quite good. Every where is kept very clean by the hard working cleaners and as I have said reception and also restaurant and bar staff are amongst the best and friendliest I have seen for a budget all inclusive type hotel. All in all the pluses far outweigh the negatives and I would definitely recommend the hotel for most ages except probably teenagers. I just wish we had come slightly earlier in the season as a lot of places in Zante had already started to close up and our week 8th to 15thOctober was the last full week for the hotel being open..

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Loppylugs
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Visited: 05/10/2017 - 12/10/2017

To anyone thinking of visiting this hotel I highly recommend it!
As we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a friendly face, our bags were then carried inside then we were promptly given our key cards and shown to our rooms, our luggage was conveniently bought straight to us and in our rooms we found fresh towels, robe, slippers and toiletries. The room was lovely and clean and a travel cot was ready for our son upon arrival. We had fresh bedding and towels every day. There was also a table and chairs on the balcony with a good view of the pool and activities that were happening.
The food was delicious and there was plenty of choice. There was also a chef station where you could have fresh gyros and crepes made for you there and then. Everyone who worked in the restaurant was really friendly and attentive and all couldn't wait to say hi to my son every time we went in.
The pool bar also had snacks throughout the day if you got peckish after an early lunch. Tonia who worked there was lovely to us and our son and really helpful. The main bar and the pool bar had a good selection of drinks and cocktails covered under the all inclusive and more if you wanted to pay extra.
The entertainment was great and "the golden girls" really kept everyone smiling and happy throughout the day, and had a good show on every evening which included a live Greek band with Greek dancing, performances from the golden girls and karaoke.
The hotel is in a perfect location, a minute walk from the beach and 5 minute walk to the strip of shops. Taxis right outside if you wanted to visit anywhere and we even got a horse and carriage back to the hotel one night! There is also a small shop next to the hotel for your essentials!
The hotel being so close to the airport was really convenient and we loved watching the planes go over.
All in all a brilliant holiday and we will definitely be coming back!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Chloe R
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

From the moment we arrived and given our adjoining rooms we knew we were in for a great week .The entire staff was smiling and friendly ,the rooms were lovely and cleaned every day the food was delicious piping hot and good variety ,all the staff played with little Eli every time they saw him I’m sure the restaurant seemed very quiet after we left without his constant hiyas .The hotel gardens and pool are really beautiful and the entertainment team a.k.a the golden girls did a brilliant job getting people involved without being pushy all in all a lovely holiday we will definitely be back

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Kim Kimberley R
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Enjoyed our stay and met some lovely people. Staff were wonderful and efficient. I thought the food at the hotel was more enjoyable than a couple of local restaurants we tried.They provided a good variety in mains and the desserts were to die for! The location is brilliant, just a short walk to the beautiful beach one way and in the other direction a further walk up to the main strip where restaurants and shops were, so generally a quiet spot which suited us. Quiet apart from the few planes daily,but actually it was nice.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple