John & Joy Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Cronulla Hotel(Kalamaki)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
Sirocco Hotel(Kalamaki)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed at John and Joy's for a week at the end of august after reading about it on Tripadvisor - the hotel and staff lived up to everyone's great comments and I'm considering going back for 4 weeks next summer! It is a 10 minute walk to Kalamaki new Main road, and if you go the back way (right turn after Iguana Bar) approx 20-30 minute walk to Zepo's and Kalamaki Old Road.

I arrived at 5am (got ma timings wrong!)... Michael appeared at 6am and showed me straight to my room. He was so lovely and apologetic - even though it was my fault I was early!

Even though I was a solo traveller and had booked/was paying for a single room, there were 2 single beds (I had asked for an upper floor with sea view if possible) the view was great (see pics). The only negative I have is a very very tiny one and it's that the shower did not have a hook on it to be hooked onto the wall - nothing major but thought I'd mention just so you know - not sure if all bathrooms are like this...

The breakfast was from 8am to 10am and consisted of bread, jam and honey, boiled eggs, ham, cheese, juice and coffee. Very nice.

The pool area is lovely and clean and the loungers plentiful and comfy - although beware: the pool is very deep at the deep end, at least 10ft maybe ?!

It was a full moon whilst I was in Kalamaki and a few times, as the beach was only 50m or so from the hotel, I went and sat on a rocky bit (not on the beach: turtles!) with wine and a friend just chatting: it was so lovely, the sea, the moon, the lights twinkling over in Laganas... Oh to be back there now!

Michael was always about in the morning and evening, always said hello and asked how I was and called me a taxi if needed. I even had to ask him to fasten a bracelet for me as I couldn't do it! Bless... nothing was too much for him. He even let me borrow a lilo for the beach, save me buying one!

I would definitely recommend this hotel. I had a great week!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank bikerbird772
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Owner (micaolos) is lovely! Can't do Anough to help you.. Is a true Greek family run hotel :)

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have stayed here many times and the English people you meet are also return stayers.
The owner Michael makes the holiday, exceptionally friendly and helpful.
Tyhe staff are always smiling and friendky.
The hotel has a raised deep pool and an excelent pool bar.
The beach is 50m away.
It is a short walk into the resort of Kalamaki.
The hotel is deathly quiet at night and makes a great place for a quiet break.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PaulGillsthelens
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Very Friendly Staff and Clean Hotel Michael The owner very Friendly Orange juice ready on our table every Morning no rushing down for sunbeds plenty available none with towels on.Only 50m from beach.Snack bar excellent good quality food and very reasonable,nice quiet spot with plenty of bars and restaurants 300m down road onto strip,didnt have 1 bad meal.Definitely going back next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank bazil1
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed here for 10 nights in early Sptember, and it is a revelation! It is inexpensive yet a fantastic location almost on the beach. There are no hidden rip-off charges for safety deposit Air con or fridge --unlike many hotels. The majority of customers seemed to be from a Czech tour company who stay there half board, so if you want a quiet night in, Michael will serve you a 3 course meal --very tasty and well prepared --for 8 or 9 euro. It is quiet --no quiz nights or Kareoke sessions in the evening--but it is all the better for that. There is plenty of drone and bad singing in the town! The variety of Bars and restaurants in Kalamaki is enormous, the best we found was the Zakynthi restaurant with a fantastic outdoor walled garden setting-- and great food!!
The hotel is 30 odd rooms and we had a small balcony to sit out on,--with a sea view! The room was clean and comfortable and had all you need, Air con and fridge worked well and the shower/sit in bath was perfectly OK. Showering at around 6pm was dodgy as the water temperature dropped the more people were bathing, but if you waited a bit you got a hot shower.
Michael, the owner, is ever present with a smile and a quick word however busy he is, he takes pride in all aspects of his hotel and is immensely hard working and eager to please. The pool is good and plenty of sunbeds, there is a private path that takes you directly to the beach. It is only 100m from a fabulous shallow sandy beach, part of the Zakynthos National Reserve because of the Nesting Turtles. There are no Jet Skis, Paragliding, or any motorised aquatic pastimes that make sitting on a beach such a pain these days.
The hotel is a 12 euro taxi ride from the Airport --so there is a bit of aircaft noise as they come in to land over the bay. There are a number of carriers to take on a flight only basis. My recommendation is to book via e-mail with the hotel, get your flight ,get a taxi and then just kick back and go Greek!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple