All reviewsgolf courseplay golfgaia restaurantgolf breakpro shophole coursesindoor poolbreakfast buffetmain buildinglos lagosround of golfgolfers paradisegreat facilitiesspa facilitiesexcellent golfgolf resortsan roque
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Just back from a golf holiday booked via www.yourgolftravel.com. This (potentially) could have been the golf holiday from hell as the rain had been falling for weeks in the region surrounding Sotogrande. The hotel is part of the NH group and includes 27 holes of golf on location. Unfortunately, the rain had almost destroyed the course with fairways verging on the "unplayable" To be frank, if it wasnt for lost revenue, any other course would have been closed to allow the course to dry up without further damage being caused by golfers who were struggling to find plugged balls on the fairways.

The Hotel had everything from buffet breakfast, which was fantastic, to a spa with sauna steam room, spa treatments (not cheap, but they never are) and pool area. Outside pool area looked great, in particular for kids, but closed for obvious reasons. The buffet dinner on offer was 35 euros inclusive of decent wine, great value. You can also order from an ala carte menu.

The rooms are not in the Hotel per se but situated in the grounds and made up of single storey buildings that incorporated 2 beds, bathroom and patio area. LCD television with half decent channels. The maids were brilliant always asking if we needed anything, and providing fresh towels daily. Absolutely, no complaints.

What made this holiday was the attitude of the staff when we complained about the condition of the course. They accepted it wasn't up to standard and offered free buggies which saved us a fortune over the 5 games we played there, albeit on day 1 we gave up after 2 holes as our clothing was soiled with mud.

The course is getting better daily and we wish we could have seen it on better days, it will take a couple of weeks to get back to a reasonable condition. They also arranged for us to visit Alcadaisa for a game, which was in much better condition but suffice to say this was done in co-operation with Nick at yourgolftravel.com who applied some pressure on our behalf. If you are looking for a top notch golf company who will look after you from "start to finish" then go no further.

Great location 10 miles from Gibraltar, car required, speed bumps everywhere.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 9 March 2010

We only stayed in this hotel for one night and did NOT play golf, so we must have been different from usual clientele...The hotel is impeccably clean and modern and the rooms are beautiful, spread out over the premises in separate buildings of 2-8 rooms like in the typical resort hotel. Breakfast was of a good usual buffet style. We used room service twice and found it to be reasonably priced and at good quality.
Upon arrival the agents at the reception desk spoke relatively poor English and it seemed as if the system they used could use rethinking and an update. I am a Starwood Platinum member for example, and have checked in at many many hotels, but this was quite bad. Maybe they were trainees? They would ask for my name several times, then I gave them my credit card, they gave it back after studying it, then asked for it again etc. Although I had sent my (card and personal) details in advance, they required me to fill out everything again by pen and paper. Then they wrote my credit card number with a pen on a piece of paper that read "Check out Express" (?) and asked me to put a signature next to their writing. When I asked "why?" they answered: it's for the police, it is required here in Spain. Then I asked: why does the police need my credit card? And confusion went on and on. A young lady stepped in and took over, and things were soon arranged, but the impression of chaos was discomforting. Why not take a simple card print or swipe, like everywhere else? Or a copy of a passport instead of requiring me to fill out papers?
Also the system to log in to wireless internet showed a quirk. You had to call the reception first. Me: "Can I have wireless internet in my room?" They said: "yes it's 10 euros a day" and hung up. Calling back I needed to write down with a pen a username and password, then log back in again etc. A bit outdated.
Other quirks include an access fee of 10 euros for the use of the fitness room and 20 euros per person (!) to use the swimming pool (not under 16 years of age !).
All in all, however, I would not let these critical notes discourage you to stay in this hotel, because it is really beautiful. Recommended!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Visited Feb 10 when it had rained for three weeks, and also during our stay!
Hotel is very good, staff very helpful. Facilities very good including gym and leisure.
Golf courses are very good, although we played them when under a foot of water/mud - would not normally have been open. Courses are tight but very good in our view - easier than La Cala for example, but similar in other ways.
Hotel food is expensive so a car is essential. Marina is about 4 miles away.
There are some very good restaurants around, and at reasonable prices. Taxi to Marina about E15 one way.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Booked into the hotel for a 4 night extension to our holiday in Spain. We picked a quite hotel and wasn't dissapointed, Hotel staff excellant and really friendly. The buffet breakfast was first class and the meal we had in the main restaurant at night was the same. You didn't have to play golf to enjoy the resort, although the three nine hole courses did look challenging. The daily membership to the Sotgrande beach club was an added bonus. which is in an excellant location next to the marina.
The down side you must have a car and for some reason the prices at the pool bar were expensive, other than that an really nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2008

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)