See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 May 2015

I stayed at the Karwan Saray for a week in May 2015. This is my second or third visit and I am happy to report that the hotel remains consistently good and a very pleasant place to stay. The management is consistently on the scene and very helpful in resolving any little issues or questions that might come up. The buffet breakfast is just fine - I like the new juice machine very much. The rooms are very clean, the laundry service is prompt and fairly priced.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank joseph_1947
Reviewed 19 February 2015

I was a frequent traveler to Erbil and Ankawa and the Karwan Saray Hotel became our go to place to stay. It was always clean, quiet and comfortable.

The complementary breakfast has lots of variety of hot and cold including fresh fruit. The fresh local bread was a highlight at each meal. The specialty I looked forward to was the menemen - a little greasy but always delicious.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LeRon J
Reviewed 10 October 2014

I stayed for 10 nights in this place, when on business trip. Right on Ainkawa 2 side, near good restaurants including Indian. Shops around, feels like lively place.

Good WiFi connection, nice and clean restaurant on 7th floor overlooking Ainkawa part of Erbil.

Little improvement required on breakfast with more varieties such as cereals, and nice filtered coffee.

Room Tip: Stay on higher floor - like fifth, sixth for better view of Ainkawa from the window. Other rooms are also good.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Prasadrasal
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I was staying in this hotel January 21 and 22. I requested that my Hair dryer that was smoking when used be replaced. I was assured it would be. That evening I tried the hair dryer only to find sparks and smoke coming out of it. I again requested the hotel repair the unit only to be told they could not, just to turn it off(which it was) Needless to say it caught on fire (5th floor). The fire alarm, and sprinkle system did not work. They refused to call the fire department and instead sent up a teenager with a fire extinguisher. The fire was put out, but the wires inside the room were not checked. I asked for a police report so I could file an insurance claim on my now damaged property. They refused.

This hotel is a hazard. I would not recommend it to anyone.....

Room Tip: Do not book here
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Trudy P
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed for two days only but we thoroughly enjoyed it.
It is clean and smoke-free. The pool facilities were also clean and well-maintained.

One major perk is that it is right next to India Gate, a great Indian restaurant.
Also very close to Ankawa's main road.
The only suggestion that comes to mind is better coffee for breakfast!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple