6,033 results
All reviews beach butler outdoor shower casitas section health bar personal concierge santa fe grill candlelight dinner on the beach our honeymoon gourmet inclusive room service beach bum vacations bellini bar wine pairing artificial reef casita suite pool bartender beach beds
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Casitas for two days in October. The Casita was very clean and well maintained. The grounds were perfect – very well kept. The pool and bar area near our Casita were also well maintained and beautiful. The beach was small but very nice. The staff were very attentive (mostly).

The Casita sections toward the south (nearer to the main pool and hotel) seem older and do not have individual swim-out pools (they still have a nice large main pool). The Casita sections toward the north (farther away from the main pool and hotel) have swim-out pools which are connected to the main pool in the Casita section. We stayed in the second to the most northerly section and very much enjoyed it. That section has a “gourmet center” that you can go to for lunch. It was nice to have a place for lunch so close. The dinners we had were very good and the service was good overall. Overall, it was a very nice place to relax and get away from the daily grind. I would go back in a minute.

Here are a few areas where the experience could be improved:

1. Larger and more bottled water in the rooms. I’m sure that bottled water is an expense for the hotel, but they guard them like the real Ed Dorado gold. One night we managed to stash a few extra bottles away, only to have them removed from the room.

2. A place to dance in the evenings. A club-type place would be nice. It may not fit into the relaxation atmosphere, but in real life I don’t get out to dance with my wife that often, so it is nice to do so on vacation.

3. The in-room TV was nice, but the content was limited (very few English language stations) and the picture was grainy.

4. The included wine selections were very bad. I’m sure they want you to purchase an upgraded bottle of wine.

5. The included liquor was acceptable to me. You could ask for more premium brands and they were also included. The Bartenders were excellent. The mixers they used were of poor quality. Artificial tasting and too sweet.

6. I expected to be approached about touring a time-share (was was), but we were asked about spa services several times an hour one afternoon, to the point it became annoying. Also, if you are planning a dinner on the beach, I would drive by the beach area where they are doing the dinners at dinner time and make sure what you get is what you expect. I expected some seclusion, but you are very near other couples having dinner – separated by a cloth tarp for privacy.

7. Our check-in experience wasn’t that great. We were dropped off at the main check-in and were told that we would be taken to the Casita check-in area. We waited 30 minutes for a golf cart. After growing tired of waiting we finally got our bags and started walking. A golf cart eventually offered us a ride.

These are only a few ideas for improvement. Overall, I loved our vacation and would go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CincyJeff
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Highly recommend staying in the Casitas - we couldn't have been more delighted. We stayed in a private Casita which provided the privacy we were hoping for but was still literally only steps from both the pool and the beach. The room was beautiful, clean, and very comfortable. All the facilities were immaculate actually and the staff were all eager to please. We's debated booking a swim up room but were happy with our decision to go with the private Castia instead. It appeared to us that the swim up rooms would have felt like we were on top of those in the room next to us.

Overall, the food was delicious. The choices were endless and the drinks were tasty. If you ask for top shelf liquor they are happy to give it to you at all the swim up bars in the Casitas section. Skip La Fondue tho. No surprise that fondue isn't exactly a Mexican specialty but honestly the food is barely average. It's back away from the water where there is no breeze, no ac and when they bring the bowl of fire to your table oh my goodness, we thought we were going to pass out. It was the only dining experience we'd discourage. Make your dinner resevations with your concierge the day your arrive! Otherwise dinner might not be until 10 o'clock.

Long is short is you won't be disappointed, especially if tip the staff a buck or two on a regular basis. We loved it and all the rave reviews you read are pretty spot on.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms looked to be on top of one another. Private Casitas were gorgeous.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kimmer105
Reviewed 12 November 2011

The rooms and view were amazing. We left property to visit Tulum and feel completely safe the entire time! El Doradonwas recommended to us by a friend and we will definitely visit again!!

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank Apworkman
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Well my trip truly wasn't wasted.My Husband and I were on our Honeymoon and they really catered to us and our needs as Newlyweds.Its all very private,plenty of things to do,very hot and well worth it....we hope to return for our anniversary this up and coming year and still be treated the same the first time we went....everyone was very friendly.
...

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank Aqueelah J
Reviewed 10 November 2011

There are not words to describe the beauty and perfection of this spotless resort. My boyfriend and I stayed at the Casitas which was fit for a princess! Our own small pool attached to the lazy river and connecting to the other pools was simply amazing and FUN! We had a wonderful outdoor bed on our patio with lovely shears for privacy that accompanied perfect weather. The staff is also wonderful...from the housekeeping (filled hot bath with flower petals) to the ome bartenders at Jo-Jo's (our favorite spot to hang out!). There was not a drink or food item that we couldn't get and the restaurant service and food quality was top notch. The coconut palms to the drinks in coconuts to the beach beds, beach front massages, food, service...all WOW. The beach is a bit odd, as there are huge sand bags in the water protecting the beaches again arrosion...not the eyesore that some describe. This is a place not to miss. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple