“Unsatisfactory”
Review of Camden Motor Inn

Camden Motor Inn
Reviewed 15 November 2014

We booked direct a 5 night stay at the Camden Motor Inn at Mermaid Beach on the Gold Coast and were quoted $100/night, but this was reduced to $95/night after I quoted that rate from Booking.com.
The day before our arrival the motel manager phoned me to advise that she’d be out on Sunday afternoon but would leave a key for us. With a 2pm check in time we’d intended to have a long lunch with friends, but when this plan fell over we arrived at the Camden Motor Inn about 2.20. But our key, with a tag No.5, would not open the door to room 5. After many attempts I noticed “10” stamped on the metal key. After knocking, I tried it at room 10 but no success. Phone calls to the mobile number on the office door went unanswered.
What to do? A swim at the beach would be nice but we had no towels. A friendly couple from room 6 offered us their beach towels. The weather was perfect and the sea refreshing. Patricia from the motel called later and seemed annoyed that we had arrived earlier than anticipated. She said she would be at the motel in about an hour. Fine by us, we had another swim and went to the motel.
Checking in, I was again accused of changing my plans and that I shouldn’t have tried the key in any other doors bar No.5. No apology for the key not working. While settling into our room we had not seen anywhere to dry our neighbour’s beach towels so hung them on the balcony rail in the breeze. It wasn’t long before Patricia came along and took them down, explaining that, by law, they were not permitted to hang any washing on the balconies. (strangely there were 2 blankets and a mattress cover hanging for a few hours outside a room 2 days later) She told me there was a clothes line behind the laundry (which was locked). (She also gave me an additional copy of the Motel rules!) I hung the towels on the line and when the couple next door returned, I went to get their towels, but the laundry was padlocked – until 7.30 the next morning!!! Too bad if they wanted an early morning swim.
The room was quite large with tea and coffee, plates, cutlery, good size fridge, split system air conditioner (noisy), queen bed, desk, table & 2 chairs, lounge, good size wardrobe and shelves and luggage rack. The bathroom was neat with usual toiletries, a hair dryer, however, broken tiles in the shower recess and a loose shelf on the wall were a minus. Car parking is good with undercover sites below the motel.
When we finally connected to the free WiFi the signal was strong and fast. However, both my wife and I initially could not access any sites. Our devices showed we were connected, but we couldn’t load sites. I went to the office for advice but found it closed, so I tapped on the flat door but there was no answer. So I returned to the room and phoned the office, Patricia answered and after hearing of our problems said it must have been our devices because she had never had any complaints from any other guests about it. (We’ve never had any trouble connecting at other motels!!) When we went out for dinner, there was a new sign on her flat door – “PRIVATE No Entry Do Not Knock”.
Patricia was quite helpful in booking tickets for the theme parks and hires beach towels for $2 each/day.
There are many shops and restaurants close by and a 24 hour Night Owl supermarket across the road. While this is very convenient, it results in cars, motorbikes and hoons coming and going and trucks unloading with the normal associated noise throughout the night. This, coupled with the highway traffic, has a detrimental affect on sleep quality.
Servicing of our room never happened. After four days the rubbish bins had not been emptied and the floor not cleaned. After swimming each day there was a sprinkling of sand on the floor which made its way into the bed. We didn’t expect the towels or sheets to be changed, but a daily dusting, vacuuming and replenishment of tea, sugar and coffee and bathroom requisites should be a given.
On the guests rules sheet that Patricia gave me, it was a little surprising to read :
“Use the luggage rack for your luggage(avoid using the beds..)” and “Clean Room Policy” Please ensure your room is clean before departure….all coffee cups, glasses emptied and rinsed dishes neatly stacked on bench near fridge…..Extra room charges will apply for room cleaning and removal of rubbish including takeaway food containers, drink bottles, fridge items”. In 35 years of travel I have never seen guest instructions like this. Before we left, I jokingly thought about contacting reception for a mop, vacuum cleaner etc., but as we were leaving at 0530, the other guests might not have appreciated it!
Finally, this is not a budget motel and there are hundred of other equivalent choices along the Gold Coast. Would I stay here again? No.

Room Tip: Plenty of other motels at more competitive rates nearby
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Patricia L, Manager at Camden Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2014

Hi there, sorry you felt this way. You seemed such a friendly chap. As you can see we have excellent reviews. We spoke on the phone a couple of times before your arrival and we ensured you had a good rate as quoted on Expedia and Booking.com and you insisted you wanted to pay cash with no security in the way of a credit card. You assured us you wouldn't be there until at least 6pm or even later and said for me not to worry. We take our guests needs very seriously and go the extra mile - I did answer my mobile straight away when you wanted to check in earlier but you said don't worry you were going for a swim first, but I still came immediately to let you in (we were up at the hospital). We checked the key and it did open your room, but I didn't want to embarrass you. Our WIFI is very good and we have a high range antenna - you did tell me you had trouble at other establishments and had to get help from a technician to get your devices working and that your wife's Ipad was connected but not yours. Yes, our residence is private. We were on call for you all day and evening and took care of all your needs right up until closing time. You seemed quite happy to visit reception several times in the day and chat. The cleaners did visit your room regularly, and your wife was gracious and thanked us for our hospitality. I find it strange that you took the time to write this untrue review. We care about our guests comfort and make sure they have an enjoyable stay. We wish you the very best. Kind regards, Management

Reviewed 21 August 2014

What a lovely stay at Camden Motor Inn. It is very close to the shops and beach. Great wifi capabilities. Lots of eating places close by. The room was lovely and clean with a microwave and crockery for easy to heat up meals for eating in. The staff are super friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Therese D
Patricia L, Manager at Camden Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Therese, thank you for your great review. Thanks for commenting on our clean comfortable rooms, it's important to us to provide our guests with clean comfortable rooms so they can enjoy their stay... a little home away from home. Happy we could help you... looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip. Kindest regards Management

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very helpful staff. Our 4 kids loved it,shops right across the road. Very close to everything. The pillows were the bomb!!! Had a lovely stay.
Thank you again for being very accommodating. Will stay again
Stacey kellie

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Stacey, thank you for your great review. So glad we could be of help to you and your family, it's nice to see those smiling faces. We try to keep those pillows up to standard so you can enjoy a comfortable sleep. Looking forward to welcoming you again. Kindest regards Management.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

travelled to gold coast on business and found camden inn to be a very friendly motel with excellent staff and facilities. the room was clean and bed was very comfortable relief manager was in and they were very friendly small shopping centre oposite with several food outlets

Room Tip: room on lower level good for mature patrons
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Gary K, thank you so much for your excellent review. It's always nice to find a clean comfortable friendly place to stay after a tiring business day. We love being central to everything on the Gold Coast., with shops and restaurants at the doorstep. Looking forward to welcoming you again soon. Kindest regards. Management

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was traveling on business to the Gold Cost and found The Camden Motor Inn a great place to stay. Comfortable. clean room and excellent staff. Very close to the beach and some lovely restaurants. Thank you Patricia for your hospitality!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Patricia L, Owner at Camden Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thanks Julie for your review on our Accommodation Gold Coast. It was lovely having you stay here, and I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation.... next time we'll make more time to continue it... Good luck with your venture I'm sure you will be really successful.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Kindest regards

0.3 km away
A'Montego Mermaid Beach Motel
A'Montego Mermaid Beach Motel
#8 of 10 in Mermaid Beach

Been to Camden Motor Inn? Share your experiences!