Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
eDreams
Travelocity
All reviews tasting menu the main house michelin star the kitchen special occasion veal garden room for pre dinner drinks petit fours excellent restaurant from start to finish old house modern bathroom birthday treat overnight stay biscuits whole experience
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 September 2020

Don't bother reading the few mediocre reviews for Fischer's elsewhere on Trip Advisor. We have stayed here many times, and our most recent visit in mid-September 2020 was the best yet by some measure. At Fischer's, it's not just about the amazing food but about the place itself - a glorious arts and crafts country house which has been lovingly restored and maintained by the Fischers in a wonderful setting. Period-correct and beautiful wallpapers, carpets and furniture go with the many original and undisturbed features; if you like this architectural era you will love Fischers. As our stay celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary, we were dismayed to see that the restaurant's long-standing Michelin star was removed in 2019, presumably to coincide with the departure of head chef Rupert Rowley. We needn't have worried. The welcome experience was the same as ever - courteous, informal and friendly - and we enjoyed the tasting dinner menu, a revelation with utterly delicious flavours and ingredients and inspirational cooking from the kitchen team, served with impeccable and friendly efficiency. Ditto the breakfast the following morning. Our bedroom overlooked the extensive kitchen garden, inspiration in itself for our own home, and our two-room mini-suite was comfortable and peaceful. I have read other reviews where guests have criticised having to enter the house 'through the back door next to the kitchen, which has no blinds'. Quite why you wouldn't want to celebrate the view of the kitchen and the chefs at work totally escapes me. All in all, this was exemplary, and Fischer's remains easily our number one favourite restaurant experience. Thanks to everyone.

Room tip: Main house rooms are grand and beautifully furnished, while the annexe rooms are perhaps better for families
Date of stay: September 2020
Neil Fischer, Owner at Fischer's Baslow Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2020

Dear Paul

Thank you for your very kind words and nice to hear that you keep returning. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2020

We visited Fischer’s for my birthday weekend. The whole stay was absolutely fantastic and the food was incredible. The staff are down to earth, knowledgable and accommodating, and went out of their way to make our stay special. We really couldn’t recommend it enough and will undoubtedly be returning soon. Thanks for an amazing experience!

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Neil Fischer, Owner at Fischer's Baslow Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2020

Hello Sean, Thank you so much for your great feedback. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our team went above and beyond to make your visit special. We will look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2020

Came to eat last week, to start I had the salmon, I am no top food critic nor am I a chef however I assure you this was very much overcooked, dry and lacking completely lacking seasoning. An underwhelming start, to follow I had the beef which whilst cooked perfectly, again it was very bland and under seasoned, the mushrooms that came with it tasted burnt and the strange broth that came with it I felt added nothing to the dish. Dessert I feel doesn't even deserve a mention, it left a lot to be desired. There have been a lot of rumours circulating recently about your staff being forced into not wearing covid PPE and I was disappointed to see the truth of this after speaking to somebody in a suit who confirmed this was true as the owners dont like the look of them? I wont be returning and I wish the best of luck to your staff with regards to their health and wellbeing here.

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank LiamHen
Neil Fischer, Owner at Fischer's Baslow Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2020

Dear Liam,

I am sorry to hear of your experience at Fischer’s given that having spoken with the team, not one of them recollects the conversation you had with them. I would also note that other than understandably a few niggles, people have found the experience we offer (food, service and accommodation), exemplary.

Concerning PPE, I take your remark as an insinuation and not fact. We have extensive processes and procedures, supported by risk assessments in place, that allow us to conform to EHO and PHE guidelines. The team have all had the option to wear PPE, but have taken the decision not to given the guidance given.

Reviewed 9 August 2020

This was our first trip away since lockdown so we were really looking forward to it. We were not disappointed.
Beautiful setting in the Peak District. We had a garden room, number 2. Absolutely delightful, spacious, comfortable and well decorated. Very quiet at night for sleeping, and extremely comfortable bed. I’m glad we had a garden room rather than a room in the main house, which looked very ornate and not really our style.
Fresh milk provided daily for team and coffee.
A few more chairs outside the garden rooms would be nice.
We ate in the dining room for two nights. The food was delicious, faultless. Should definitely regain its Michelin star.
Highlights on the menu, Celeriac, divine. Pigeon. Lamb. The main course simply called Turnip was sublime.
Very good wines too.
All the staff were fabulous, very professional, but friendly and very welcoming.
In particular Adrian and Olivia, but I would have named others if I knew names! Two young female staff in the dining equally lovely.
Hope to return soon. Thank you for a memorable anniversary weekend.
This is not a reflection on the hotel at all, but at 10pm we were chatting to the couple next door to us outside, while enjoying a nightcap, but were asked to be quiet by a family with children. We were not being noisy, it was not late, and I would suggest it is not really a family venue. Slight damper on our evening.

Room tip: Garden room number two, excellent.
Date of stay: August 2020
Neil Fischer, General Manager at Fischer's Baslow Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2020

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to Baslow Hall. The team are delighted that you generally enjoyed the experience and look forward to hopefully seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 March 2020 via mobile

It's not cheap but it was an amazing experience.

The room was decorated with some funky wallpaper (see pic) which gave the room a great feel. The room itself was a good size with the coffee/tea and shortbread. The bathroom was also neatly done (see pic)

It is quite a small hotel with I believe only 11 rooms but gives a special feel set in gardens.

The small town is just a 10 minute stroll away which has a few arty shops and a very nice pub.

We ate the tasting menu and I also enjoyed the wine pairings. On the face of it the wine pairing may seem an expensive option (either £50 or £85) but you do get a different glass which each course and it does help compliment the food.

The food itself was exceptional presented. Whilst portions were small due, there were lots of courses so you definitely didn't leave hungry.

There is quite a formal feel about Baslow Hall but dont let that put you off the staff are very friendly and easy to talk to.

As an aside try and enter the main building without someone opening the door for you. We didn't manage it from the time we arrived until we left...a nice touch.

Overall with a nights accommodation, tasting menu and wine pairings for one along with a few drinks from the bar came to around £600. We enjoyed ourselves and still have to go to work on Monday, so money well spent!

Date of stay: March 2020