See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 April 2017

We stayed here the weekend of April 1st, a group of 12 friends. My friend booked the whole hotel for us.
We were prepared to overlook the very lazy service or the fact that the pool wasn't clean, but the personnel final attitude changed that.
We had organised a mini-bus to pick us up to take us to the airport, but the driver couldn't access the hotel as he was blocked by the local taxi drivers. When our driver came to the hotel and asked the manager (Eliseo) for help, he refused (after we had tipped him really well) to do it. We found out he had warned the taxi drivers we were using someone from out of town (BTW they don't have transport for such a big goup in Mazunte) and given him the exact time of the bus arrival. We were stranded there for 1 hour, the police was supporting the taxi drivers who demanded we paid them a bribe to let us go. A very stressful and scary situation as these men were violent as well. Luckily someone call the town's mayor who came and made the taxi drivers go away.
I don't recommend staying at this place.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maria A
Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

I would love to give this five stars but on a price to services ratio I just can't.

The venue is located on a hillside overlooking the ocean with stunning sunset views. The rooms are beautifully designed and each one different. Our second room was a lot more airy than our first.

The beach is five minutes walk away down the hill and the shops bars restaurants are the other way 10 minutes down the hill - so be ready for an uphill walk and steps to get home. Torch is good in the walk home as the road can be dark.

However for a $100 a night I would have hoped for the following...

A fridge in the room to store drinks. We were offered an I've box but they didn't have any ice.

The mosquito net in the first room did not properly for the bed so bites ensued.

No hot water - not always necessary but at this price point, a distinct advantage to have the option.

Any of the staff I met did not speak English, if you are charging the big bucks in a small town like this then most of the clientele is English speaking, being able to communicate would be good and know what was in the area, where to go, how to get there etc would have been good any knowledge of bus services would be helpful too - we were given the indirect route.

You need to walk up 175 steps to get there. At the bottom of those steps is no way to communicate with staff at the top to let them know that you are there or you may need assistance with bags or to check you are on the right place.

The pool was not clean.

We only had coffee whilst there so cannot comment on the food.

If you're looking for peace and quiet on a lovely setting with not to much else then this is the place for you.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

We had an amazing stay! Only thing was missing is a little refrigerator in the cabin/ house, other than that place is just made for relaxing. Staff is very nice and helpful, although speaking only Spanish.

Design and space in planning is perfect, we haven't heard other guests, and met them only in the common living room/ eating space.

Very good bed!

Just check it out, all worth it! And the view ❤️

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2016

We were there in early January 2015, a family of 4 (me, husband and 2 kids 15, 11). It was a great experience. This small quite hotel offers just few independent rooms/cottages with nice minimalistic ecologic architecture adapted to the natural environment of Mazunte. It is hiddenly located up in a small hill (3' upstairs to reach it from the main street - so no apt for people with limited mobility) surrounded by nature (do not be surprised if you see spiders, iguanas and more...). The eco friendly concept means there is no warm water, but who needs it with Mazunte's temperature even in winter! The rooms are lovely, simply decorated, well-kept, spacious and clean. We stayed at Casa Ovalada which has a terrace with "hamacas" and a splendid view to the beach and the sea. There is a nice small swimming pool and a common place for gathering where the restaurant is located. The manager is architect and he designed the hotel himself. He is extremely friendly, as well as the whole staff, local nice people. An added value of the place is the restaurant, serving delicious breakfast (omelletes, fresh fruit, chilaquiles, good coffee) and dinner including specialities from the region (Oaxaca and more) and catch of the day with fresh fish; the cook masters outstandingly this art because food is well-prepared and simply delicious!! (I think her name was Mayeli? a local young woman). Just one thing to note: if you are in a hurry this is not the place for you because they really take their time when serving food. But for me/us this "slow food" was part of the whole holidays concept in this peaceful place so I greatly enjoyed waiting in that fantastic terrace reading my book. There is an amazing view from there!. It is really quiet and peaceful! The beach from the hotel, once down, is 5 minutes walking: Mermejita beach, beautiful long sand beach, where I used to run in the mornnings: once I saw dolphins passing by!. The hotel is around 10' walking distance from the village, where you can find small stores and restaurants and buy local organic "jamaica" / hibiscus and fresh fruits like papayas.
All in all our stay was greatly enjoyable for me and my whole family. The kids loved it! I would definetely go back and recommend other people to stay at Casa Mermejita, either as a couple, with friends or with children.
Thank you so much Casa Mermejita for the warm and splendid hospitality!

Room Tip: We stayed in Casa Ovalada adapated since other rooms were occupied. It worked well, yet for 4 it is better a bigger room.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Gabriela G
Eliceo L, Gerente at Casa Mermejita, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2016

Gabriela G.

We are very grateful for this wonderful comment .
I have nothing to say it is a real pleasure and joy that you remain happy.
With all our love

Reviewed 17 October 2015

We stayed in the rectangular building with a wonderful shower. We had great views onto the ocean and heard the waves crash against the beach at night. The hosts were wonderful (don't know about their ability to speak English, though) ... very accomodating to any wish we had.

Room Tip: look at the pictures on the website of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Walter R
Ana Yely L, Gerente at Casa Mermejita, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2015

Regards.
Especially I take to heart thank stay at this little place Tropics and kindly , friendly and fine people who were during their stay at the hotel.

Always.